It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-24-2009, 12:02 PM   #1
(male)

REPSOLGUY HB User
Feels like thick mucus or lump in throat..

Hello,i am hoping someone can help me.. i have had acid reflux for years.. my throat got bad about 5 months ago. It stayed sore all the time..so i went to the ent and he looked down my throat and seen where it was very red so he immedietly said my reflux had flared back up in my throat..I took nexium but it didnt seem to help it. So now i am on cimetidine and it seems to be better but i have that lump feeling in my throat all the time..It even feels like real thick mucus at times but i cant never get anything out of my throat..i am 29 now and i have had reflux since i was about 10 yrs old.. This lump feeling in my throat makes me afraid i have throat cancer or something bad...Is it normal to have this mucus /lump feeling in the throat with acid reflux... I can deal with it, i just want to know its not cancer or anything like that..

Old 02-24-2009, 05:26 PM   #2
(female)

DMBF HB User
Re: Feels like thick mucus or lump in throat..

I can tell you that the lump feeling is probably/could be inflammed vocal folds; this may take a long time to go back to the "normal state", but only if you let them heal as much as possible. This means no shouting, yelling, whispering, clearing of the throat, coughing (all of those are hard to do, I know) and keeping the throat well hydrated. It probably took years to get this way; it may take a long time for it to go back. Keep up with the medication---many people have what is called "silent reflux"--no overt symptoms like burning in the chest, but the acid can slowly creep up and do damage.

We all tend to worry---it's human nature--but it does our body and our reflux no good. Trust that your dr. is taking care of you and go back for regular check ups.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-25-2009, 04:01 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

gcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB User

Quote:
Is it normal to have this mucus /lump feeling in the throat with acid reflux
It's a very common symptom of acid reflux (so I guess you could say it's "normal" for people with acid reflux"). Typically the lump you feel is the red, inflamed areas your doctor saw during the exam, and the mucus is your body's way of trying to protect those red, inflamed areas.

There are things you can do to manage the reflux, but it takes weeks for those inflamed areas to heal so you have to be persistent. In addition to the meds you should avoid alcohol, caffeine, tomato-based foods and anything else that causes your reflux to flare up. You can also raise the head of your bed 4-6 inches and avoid eating 2-3 hours before you go to bed.

Old 02-25-2009, 08:06 AM   #4
(male)

REPSOLGUY HB User

THANKS GCSMITHJR FOR THE REPLY.. Yea i really hope it gets better soon..i have actually been eating the right kind of foods and drinking just water to try and get better soon.. I also raised my bed up about 4 inches or so.... my sore throat and othjer symptoms have got better its just that lump/ thick mucus feeling in throat that is driving me crazy..But maybe it will get better soon.. Im just a worry wart.. I always think of the worst like cancer or something.. but considering i'm just 29 and a non smoker.. dont think thats my problem.. thanks again for the reply..

Old 02-25-2009, 08:09 AM   #5
(male)

REPSOLGUY HB User

thanks dmbf for your reply as well.. yea,i hope this gets better soon.. i am actually going next month to get a scope done.. yea,i am a big worry wart but i'm pretty sure its not cancer or anything that bad.. considering i'm a non smoker and only 29.. thanks again for the reply

Old 02-25-2009, 02:25 PM   #6
(female)

DMBF HB User

Yes statistically speaking, you are in a very very low risk group. My sister-in-law is a nurse on a surgical floor and she says she has never seen any one with throat cancer or esophageal cancer that wasn't a smoker.

Closed Thread