It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-02-2009, 08:07 AM   #1
(male)

fishertimm HB User
Barretts/I'm worried

I'm a 37 yr old. I have had problems with acid reflux for about 5 years. Last year I had my endoscopy done and I now have Barret's I haven't really been having any problems with the reflux for past couple years so that came as a suprise. Now, they will be doing the endoscopy every year to make sure it's not going down the "c" road. Are there surgery options for the reflux after you have Barrett's or is it to late? Lately I have been getting that paid where esophagus and stomach meet again (probably because I'm worried again). What research I have done on Barrett's does not sound good. I almost feel like its just a matter of time. I am going to see my Gastro Dr. next week and wanted to ask him about surgery, but wanted to see if any ideas. I need something to give me some hope as I am afraid I keep going the wrong way down this road. There is 0 cancer on both sides of my family so that makes me feel a bit better, but I don't want to worry about this anymore because I know it makes it worse. I'm kicking myself for not looking into the nissan surgery sooner.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-02-2009, 04:39 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Linda_in_NJ HB User
Re: Barretts/I'm worried

There is a fairly new procedure with good results called Barrx. Actually there is a message board for it and the people that had it done tell speak to you. Once you have Barretts, like me too, it does not go away with meds. This procedure is the only one I know of with good results. It is best to have a yearly endo to make sure the spot doesn't get bigger. It's what I do also. I was told that Barrets takes a long time to grow into cancer, if at all like Cassie stated. I hope they are right. I have had Barretts for about 5 years now. Go to John Hopkins Message Board. Good luck, Linda

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-03-2009, 07:08 AM   #3
(male)

fishertimm HB User
Re: Barretts/I'm worried

Thanks for the responses. I just need to chill and stop worrying about. I will research those topics you gave me so I have something to talk to my Dr. about. He has his own research center so hopefully he can be of help, if not I can always look elsewhere. Who knows, maybe they will find a cure sometime in the near future!

Closed Thread