It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-02-2009, 07:34 AM   #1
(female)

travelagtx HB User
what can you eat with acid reflex

what can you eat with acid reflex

Old 03-02-2009, 06:45 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

CharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB User
Re: what can you eat with acid reflex

Nothing good.

CharBerry

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-02-2009, 09:20 PM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User

Avoid fatty, fried or greasy foods, spicy foods, onions, peppers, tomato products, citrus foods or drinks, caffeine drinks, carbonation, chocolate, alcohol and nicotine. Those are the most common triggers. Outside of that, it seems that it is really an individual thing.

No matter what you eat, you should eat in small amounts and not lay down for at least 3 hours after eating. I'd also avoid much bending after meals since the squishing of the stomach can push the food and acid back up also.

Old 03-04-2009, 06:11 PM   #4
(female)

DMBF HB User

I agree that it is such an individual thing! That is what makes it hard. To clarify, sweet bell peppers are generally okay but hot peppers are generally a trigger. Some people tolerate tomato products okay, especially fresh tomatoes. I just posted another note on this topic in repsonse to "BELCHING" above if you are interested.

One thing I have read and tried is a spoonful of UNpasteurized honey (i just get it at my grocery store---usually local brand) whenever i feel reflux, or, before I go to bed. I can't say it works with 100% success but the theory of it "coating" the esophagus does make sense, and it is apparently "alkaline forming" in the body. It's a palatable thing to take and probably can't hurt!

I also forgot to mention in the other post about DGL---I will sometimes take one of these tablets (licorice tablets---get at a health food store) before I eat a spicy meal, as it apparently results in mucous of some kind being produced in the gut and thus protects the stomach from irritation, which in turn can cause reflux.

I have tried and read everything possible on this disorder and I do believe one thing---that what we eat plays a big part in reducing symptoms, while stress can really make your symptoms worse. Everyone has stress at some point, some people every day, so then the diet, as well as other stress reduction activities (like deep breathing, exercise, meditation, etc--whatever works for you) can also go a long way. I think for those who basic medication doesn't work for (which is usually the people reading these posts!!!), it has to be a comprehensive approach involving lifestyle, diet, medication, and other things like elevating your bed while sleeping.

Closed Thread