It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-02-2009, 06:49 PM   #1
(female)

k4kate HB User
My Reflux Symptoms and Experiences

Hello, I hope someone will read over and give me their opinion as to what has been bothering me.

Firstly, last year I got some food stuck in my throat and in response I started swallowing more aggressively. Very soon after that I experienced the classic Acid Reflux symptoms, constant belching and horrible burning throat. I did not take any medication though, I just changed my diet and began to exercise and the problem and pain went away completely after about 2 months.

Now, in the first week of January I was eating tortilla chips and felt a sharp jagged piece scratch a place on the right side of my throat very badly. It felt as if it actually stabbed my throat and continued to feel stuck there. I did everything I could, coughing, gargling, drinking loads of water to make it go down but the feeling remained. I saw my GP who then gave me a referal to a very good ENT, who I was finally able to get an appointment with last week.

Since the chip incident, I have continued to have this very intense stabbing pain in the right side of my throat. It hurts all day long, not just when I swallow, and it feels as though there is some kind of mass in the place where the chip hit it. My voice is rough, but the left side of my throat feels 100% normal. There is no burning in my throat, just the pins and needles pain on the right side. I also have developed itchy ears. My reflux symptoms are there, but not very pronounced. No burning chest pain, but I do burp after eating anything and my stomach burns a bit and feels like it is churning. I also have increased saliva and feel like I always need to swallow.

The ENT looked at my throat with a mirror then with the camera. While the camera was being set up he told me about the globus sensation (which I already knew about). He saw nothing stuck in my throat and did not see any tears, just pointed out redness and told me about GERD. He said I should try Aciphex and see if it helped along with Pepcid Complete. If it didn't help my symptoms I could come back and he would look again or send me to the GI for the Barium.

I am just wondering if it sounds like I could have a throat infection that is being missed and the constant swallowing/irritation is causing the reflux symptoms again. It is very strange that the pain is on one particular side and is so intense and sharp. Any thoughts?

I apologize for the length of the post, and thank everyone who reads.

Last edited by k4kate; 03-02-2009 at 06:52 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread