It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2009, 09:00 PM   #1
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User
Talking Kapidex-new PPI

Hi all,
I went in for a GI follow-up appointment today and found out that Kapidex (dexlansoprazole) was released a couple weeks ago. It is available in 30 and 60mg. What is unique about Kapidex is that it is the first dual release PPI. The first release takes place 1-2 hours after it is taken and the second release at about 4-5 hours. It is supposed to be more effective at treating for a full 24 hours.

I've been taking Prevacid 30 mg twice a day. It doesn't fully work, but is the best of the bunch for me. I will be switching to the 60mg dose of Kapidex once a day. I'm hopeful that it works well. I'll keep you posted.

There are also vouchers available for the next year that will reimburse for up to $55 per prescription for the next year. Maybe this will help my pocketbook for the next year also.

I'd love to hear any other experiences people have had with this. I think it is important to support each other when we find new things that may help.

Mountain Reader

Old 03-05-2009, 12:06 PM   #2
(female)

Kassie29 HB User
Re: Kapidex-new PPI

Thanks for sharing that info, MR. Let us know how you do on it. It would be exciting to find a new med that actually controlled the acid around the clock!
Kassie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-10-2009, 04:28 PM   #3
(female)

susan460 HB User

I would like to hear how you feel on it too.I had been getting samples of Prevacid for the past 3 years and they ran out. The reps stopped bringing them. Since it's $200 for a month's supply, I started taking Prilosec and got nauseous with the worst stomach pains and gas. I managed to get a few samples of Prevacid, took one last night and feel great from just ONE pill. Now I hear they are taking it off the market and I am so upset. I saw the difference in the ingredient, sounds basically the same with a few added letters and I got some samples of it (Kapidex). I hope its not much stronger, being it's 60 mg. instead of 30 because if I ever want to wean off it, this would be harder. I hope it doesn't give me side effects because Prevacid did not. Please let us know how you feel when you start it. I guess I have no choice now but to switch also because I can't afford 200 a month.

Old 03-10-2009, 07:36 PM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User

Kapidex has the same active ingredient as Prevacid. The main difference is the delivery system. It has a dual delayed release system.

The Kapidex comes in 30 or 60mg. That might be something you want to ask your doctor about if you would feel more comfortable on the lower dosage.

I started taking it last Thursday. I'm still reserving judgement on how well it works. I'll keep you posted after I've been on it longer.

I've been on all of the other PPI's most didn't work at all. Taking Prevacid twice a day was the best of the bunch for me, but I still had bad symptoms on it as well at one point. Compared to the other PPI's, I really liked the solutab form of Prevacid 1/2 hour before meals.

I'm a bit unusual because I'm taking the Kapidex/ Prevacid in addition to having had the Nissen Fundoplication surgery.

I'd like to hear where you found out they are taking the Prevacid off the market. I can't find anything on the internet about that. I kind of like knowing I can fall back to it if I don't find the Kapidex as effective.

Old 03-10-2009, 07:50 PM   #5
(female)

susan460 HB User

Hi Mountain, I didn't look it up under Prevacid but my dr. told me it's being replaced. If you look up Kapidex, it actually says that it's the reformulation of Prevacid. I didn't know that it comes in 30 mg. Thanks so much for telling me that. I plan to call the company tomorrow and speak to one of the reps. I sure don't want 60 mg. if I don't need it. They sell empty gelatin capsules so maybe I can halve it myself. The formula isn't identical, it has the word dex at the beginning and that's why I worry. Why couldn't they leave well enough alone...it was the only one that agreed with me. I'll keep an eye on this thread to see how you're doing on it. I would try it but now I am so sick from being off the Prevacid for a week (stupidly trying Prilosec, never been so sick in my life). I am sorry that you went through the surgery and still need meds. This condition is a royal pain!

Old 03-11-2009, 09:46 AM   #6
(male)

greg1x HB User
Cool Re: Kapidex-new PPI

Greetings mountain . I am in an almost identical situation as you. I have had the Nissen about 12 years ago, and am on 2 Prevacids a day. I just picked up some 60 mg Kapidex from my gi doc yesterday. Prevacid is going off patent in November. This is similar to when Prilosec came off patent and Nexium came out shortly before that.

Greg

QUOTE=MountainReader;3914474]The Kapidex comes in 30 or 60mg. That might be something you want to ask your doctor about if you would feel more comfortable on the lower dosage.

I've been on all of the other PPI's most didn't work at all. Taking Prevacid twice a day was the best of the bunch for me, but I still had bad symptoms on it as well at one point. Compared to the other PPI's, I really liked the solutab form of Prevacid 1/2 hour before meals.

I'm a bit unusual because I'm taking the Kapidex/ Prevacid in addition to having had the Nissen Fundoplication surgery.

.[/QUOTE]

Old 03-11-2009, 07:53 PM   #7
Facilitator
(female)

Greg,

Keep us posted on how it does for you.

Have you heard if the Prevacid will still be available in Solutab form when it goes off patent? I like knowing I can go back to it if the Kapidex isn't as effective for me.

If I could ask, how long did you find benefit after your surgery? When did you end back up on the twice a day PPI's? My GI doc has not allowed me to go off of, or reduce dosage of, the PPI's at all since I had the surgery last October.

I've had a bit of bloating and some occassional belching, but no major reflux symptoms. The surgeon said the belching is just air that doesn't make it through the wrap and is coming back up, but I'm not necessarily convinced of that. I do have some other digestive issues, but those are a result of trying Nexium for a month last June. The Nexium really messed up my gut long term.

Old 03-12-2009, 10:12 AM   #8
(male)

greg1x HB User

Greetings again,
I have been on twice a day Prevacid for about one year. I have been on it once a day since shortly after the surgery 12 years ago. For me personally the surgery accompolished very litle symptom relief, if any.
I am not sure if the solutab would stop being produced, but I highly doubt it would be discontinued. Just because they have stopped sampling Prevacid, and it is coming off patent, does not mean they are ceasing production of it. I would be very surprised if it is not still offered.
Greg

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainReader View Post
Greg,

Have you heard if the Prevacid will still be available in Solutab form when it goes off patent? I like knowing I can go back to it if the Kapidex isn't as effective for me.

If I could ask, how long did you find benefit after your surgery? When did you end back up on the twice a day PPI's? The surgeon said the belching is just air that doesn't make it through the wrap and is coming back up, but I'm not necessarily convinced of that. I do have some other digestive issues, but those are a result of trying Nexium for a month last June. The Nexium really messed up my gut long term.

Old 03-13-2009, 10:45 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

NancyH HB User

I'd like to know to, even tho Prevacid didn't work for me and Nexium has been the best of the bunch I'd try it as the formula may just be a little different to maybe work.

Old 03-14-2009, 08:35 AM   #10
(male)

azbogeyman HB User

My gastro doc gave me a sample of Kapidex 60 mg yesterday. Actually, the Prevacid solutab worked best for me because I could titrate the dosage (a little goes a long way with me). I have not started the new med yet - still working up the courage because of PPI side effects. PPI's work great for me in treating the GERD and Barrett's Esophagus (no dysplasia yet). However, I have a long history of side effects and PPI intolerance (insomnia, irritability, rock hard stool leading to bleeding in the colon). I can't take any chances with hard stools because I had left descending colon resection apx. 4 months ago (decades of dicerticulosis/diverticulitis). As this thread grows, I would appreciate comments from others who have similar side effects from PPI's and what their experiences are with the dual release mechanism of Kapidex. Many thanks in advance!

Old 03-16-2009, 09:28 AM   #11
(female)

applecollector HB User

is there a generic for Kapidex

$200 for a months supple and I am griping and quit taking my nexium because it went up from $35.00 for 3 months to 65. for 3 months and can't afford it.

But since my acid reflux is getting much worse and I was up throwing up last night might need to break down and spend the $65.00---however about thanksgiving the nexium seemed not to be working.

Old 03-16-2009, 09:54 AM   #12
(male)

greg1x HB User

No, the drug just came to market. It has patent protection for at least 15 years. Greg

Quote:
Originally Posted by applecollector View Post
is there a generic for Kapidex

$200 for a months supple and I am griping and quit taking my nexium because it went up from $35.00 for 3 months to 65. for 3 months and can't afford it.

Old 03-25-2009, 09:51 AM   #13
(male)

diadr HB User

as a family doc, this is ridiculous to see the drug companies getting FDA approval for a drug that is the exact same as before. Just another way to keep profits in the companies that fund the FDA. This medication is outrageously priced reformulation of prevacid that can be given at a better cost to the patient. i'm sure the drug rep dinners are shortly to come out to docs. say "no thank you to your doc" and start with the reliable cheaper generic drugs like protonix. Nexium is still best in GERD treatment and the gold standard for treatment.

Old 04-16-2009, 08:51 AM   #14
(female)

kstory HB User

Hi diadr,
Are you saying that we can get the same effect as Kapidex by taking a regular PPI twice a day instead?

I have LPRD (not GERD). Nexium is the only thing that has worked for me, but I have been taking a double dose once a day (taking a single dose twice a day didn't work for me). However, the Nexium has not been 100% effective, and I still have a sore throat all the time. I'm a singer, and this really affects my ability to sing.

My GI suggested trying Kapidex. I've been taking 60mg in the morning for 4 days. It does seem to last longer than the Nexium did, but by the next morning my symptoms are worse than they were with the Nexium (chest pain, sore throat). I'm wondering if it's safe to take it twice a day?

Old 04-16-2009, 09:09 AM   #15
(male)

greg1x HB User

Go to the website for Kapidex. They have a program going on now wher eyou get it for like $25 a month. I am on my second month of this, as my insurance (BCBSFL) does not cover it at all. This is not a need based program. Greg

Closed Thread