It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-07-2009, 04:44 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

CharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB User
LPR/Stress Getting The Best of Me

If any of you keep up with finance and national news (I usually don't) you may have read of Stanford Financial's closure. Well, I was employeed with SFG for 25 yrs and have lost my job, insurance, savings, can't file for unemployment until officially notified....Need I say more. The stress of all of this has hit me bad and I have had so much acid churning and mucus coming up that I'm sick once again. I can't stop coughing since I have the LPR reflux so bad and my husband is about ready to leave me. I've tried every kind of OTC meds, not eating, drinking lots of fluids but I can't get this choking feeling to go away. I know the stress is causing it but my husband doesn't understand why the Dr. can't give me "something" to stop hacking day and night. Any suggestions out there. I'm tired, sick, worried and sore from all of the coughing.

CharBerry

Old 03-07-2009, 05:25 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

TEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB User
Re: LPR/Stress Getting The Best of Me

Dear Charberry, You are not alone, I am right here with you. We could be sisters! I feel your pain. I am SO SORRY about your job situation and all of the financial issues. We are all in this big boat together. This I can tell you, is that God has you in the palm of His hand. He will not let you down and will be faithful to take care of you. That is the bottom line.

I will say that it is hard to feel that when the reality is we feel like we are on a sinking ship. I too am real scared. I lost 10,000 worth of income in 2008. My massage business did that much less. I had to get a job at a local school that pays 11 dollars and hour and would only give me 29 hours a week of work. Thank goodness for my husbands job. But still we can't make the bills. We have been given a Foreclosure notice on our home in Jan. We have lived in this home for 3 years. But we will probably lose it. We can stay until Sept. this year because we got an extension. I have two college age daughters that want to move back home now for awhile to save money. I am afraid I may have to tell them it may be short lived. All this to say is that I just can't take all the stress without it having an effect on my physical body.

My reflux is flaring up in full force now. I have the mucus, thick tight throat, a nagging throat clearing cough, (it keeps my husband awake at night, I am afraid he will leave too) I feel like I can't breathe freely, it sets of panic and anxiety in me. I feel like my life is spinning out of control. I wish I hadn't started eating bad again. This is a HUGE setback for me. lol
I also am blaming alot of things on the perimenopause I am going through which isn't helping matters at all.

I think we should try warm decaf tea's with honey. Anything relaxing to destress us, bubble baths, all the right foods, ...I just don't know what to do. I suck on Tums and cough drops. I don't want to take the drugs for this because of the side effects. Hang in there ok! I am here for you anytime you want to talk. Try not to worry. I will pray that God leads you to a new job. The stresses of financial things and job losses are quite heavy, just know you are not alone.

Have a restful weekend!

Last edited by TEdds83; 03-07-2009 at 05:27 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-08-2009, 01:29 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

dolysods HB User

Ginger tea helps me with the reflux.

Maybe the doc has some samples?

Old 03-08-2009, 03:11 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

CharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB User

Thank you both for your replies. It helps just to have someone that understands. I have faith in "spirit" too to get me thru this. I got some good rest and that's helped. I will try ginger since I've never done that. I see it in the gro store but how do you use it? Boil to make tea?

CharBerry

Old 03-08-2009, 05:15 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

dolysods HB User

i like the Tazo green ginger and there is one at the health store that i like called ginger aid or stomach aid. I ran out.. so i'm not sure. It is great if you feel like something is caught in your throat.. helps that feeling. Works great on nausea too. I just nuke a cup of hot water, let it steep for about 3-5 minutes depending on how strong you like tea. I've put honey in it too

Old 03-09-2009, 05:12 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thanks. I do have constant "something" feeling in my throat all the time. Will it help the pND and mucus feeling? That's driving me crazy.

CharBerry

Old 03-09-2009, 05:27 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

dolysods HB User

it has helped that a bit. I think black tea worked better for the mucous. I take 120mg 12 hr sudafed a day and mucionex when i have that feeling. I also irrigate with a neti pot 1-3 times a day depending on how dry things are.

Old 03-09-2009, 06:35 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

neddyflanders HB User

Hi Charberry, I'm in the same boat. I'm also losing my job. Very high stress situation and my reflux is back. Also I have pain below my right rib along with burning in my stomach. Stress is doing us all in but how can you stop it? It seems our bodies react to stress physically. I am going on interview after interview and you know how stressing that can be. It seems the only way I can control my reflux is to go months without any stress at all. One bad day and all is lost.

Old 03-09-2009, 12:13 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Our company is being compared to Madoff so you know that ain't good. I'm just trying to get my unemployment and afraid my savings are gone now. I've noticed over the many years of my GERD/LPR that stress and not getting enough rest will do me in faster than something I shouldn't have eaten. I'm afraid I won't ever be able to get another job. I was out sick all the time before and could take the time off plus half the time I had no voice. I really don't feel that I'm able to work and wonder if I there was some way I could apply for disability? Good Luck on your job search! I'm sure something will turn up for you. Keep the faith.

CharBerry

Old 03-09-2009, 12:26 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

dolysods HB User

Good Luck. I would start with your doctor and your Job & Family Services. In Ohio, the case worker is the SSI/DDA case worker. The more info/documentation you have already to go, you might get it faster. It can take up to 2 yrs to get it. I would call and talk to one of those case managers to see what you need. You may need past documentation from your employer (guessing)

Old 03-09-2009, 09:20 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thanks for the info. I've been told it's a long road but may have better chance at my age (57 this year). I have several freinds that didn't have a problem but one has MS
and 2 others Fibromgly. Not trying to get out of working because I've worked all my life but like I said, at my last job I actually didn't do that much work in the past 10 years.
Maybe staying home for few months will help me? Just hard not to worry about financies when everything is so bad. The day to day stress of the ecomomy and the world is enough to do you in. I really try and avoid news since it's all bad news.

CharBerry

Closed Thread