It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-09-2009, 10:17 PM   #1
(male)

supeg HB User
New here, some questions

Hello. I am a 30 year old male. Out of nowhere 2 weeks ago I got bad heartburn and stomach ache/gas. It went away that day, but seemed to come back last week. It seemed worse and it seemed like there was something in my throught. I am very overweight and was concerened that this was something very bad. It seems to come and go and gets worse when consuming dairy. Tums and the like seem to help a little but not tons. I went to doctor and he said sounds like acid reflux. He gave me some pantoprazole last wed to take once a day. It seemed to help at first but as I am typing my chest is killing. Seems like it may be impairing my breathing as well. Also I have been burping a lot and today noticed my stool was a very dark brown almost black which someone said may mean im bleeding inside? Is that common with Acid Replux?

Does this sound like Acid Reflux?

I should mention about 3 months ago that I had a series of bad toothaches and took a lot of IBUprofin (Anti INflamatory) which may have caused all of this.

Does this just come out of nowhere? I have had gas and acid in belly and heartburn before but this is worse and seems to last a long time.

How long does the Pantoprazole take to work? Little worried here

Last edited by supeg; 03-09-2009 at 10:18 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-14-2009, 12:01 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

NancyH HB User
Re: New here, some questions

IT can come on suddenly, mine did 4yrs ago and I had to tried every drug on the market before one of them actually worked half assed! None of it works 100%. Some drugs take weeks to work, my Nexium finally started working after 2months and then it doesnt always work around the clock. dark stool can also be from the drugs as well as ulcers etc. Have you had a endoscopy? It's the best way to check for acid reflux and the like.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-14-2009, 03:21 PM   #3
(male)

supeg HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by NancyH View Post
IT can come on suddenly, mine did 4yrs ago and I had to tried every drug on the market before one of them actually worked half assed! None of it works 100%. Some drugs take weeks to work, my Nexium finally started working after 2months and then it doesnt always work around the clock. dark stool can also be from the drugs as well as ulcers etc. Have you had a endoscopy? It's the best way to check for acid reflux and the like.
Thanks for the reply. I think the dark stool was caused by Pepto, it did not return since then.

I have not gotten a Endoscopy yet, I am going to go to Hospital on tuesday most likely to try to get one, otherwise its months wait.

I notice lately it is hurting my stomach a lot

How is your acid reflux now? Did they do a Endo on you and find something?

Old 03-14-2009, 05:50 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

NancyH HB User

Nexium seems to give more relief if I also take pepcid AC max strength pill during the day also. I've had three endoscopies to check the acid reflux the first three years. I have not had one since I've been on Nexium for the last 8 mos. I sometimes take 2 Nex a day one in morn and one at dinner time and it seems to make a difference during the night. When the reflux hit me 4yrs ago it is was sudden and unrelenting 24/7 and it took 6 months to start to get minor relief, I had never had heartburn or anything similar before. I thought I was dying because nothing worked and it kept me up and I lost 15lbs because I was afraid to eat anything for fear it would make it even worse. I'm just happy that these pills give me relief for weeks at a time but I still get days where it flares up, none of these pills help 100%. At times I will take pepto, pepcid along with Nex if it is a bad day and it calms it to. You'll find that different things work different each time, it's a very annoying an disruptive disease! I forgot pepto will do that to your stool!

Closed Thread