It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-11-2009, 01:12 PM   #1
(female)

Forensicmom HB User
Gas and bloating with acid reflux?

I'm just curious if it's normal to get gas and bloating with acid reflux?

I met with my GI doctor today for a follow up. I have been keeping a food journal for the past few weeks and she looked at it today. I was really suprised when she told me that I was eating a lot of acidic foods and a lot of dairy foods. I didn't even realize it. I thought I was eating healthy by making my own pasta sauce. Even that is loaded with acid. She also told me that she thinks the dairy is giving me the gas and bloating feelings I get.

I went dairy free for 2 weeks back in November and didn't see any improvement. The dr said that maybe I'm just a little bit sensitive to dairy but having acid reflux just makes it worse.

I was originally told it might be IBS but I rarely have "lower" issues, just upper.

Is this normal?

Old 03-11-2009, 02:39 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

CharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB User
Re: Gas and bloating with acid reflux?

Who knows. I developed IBS along with the GERD/LPR. I think I eat healthy too with lots of vegetables & fruit, no dairy. I still have it no matter what I eat or drink. Hope you have better luck.

CharBerry

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-11-2009, 11:59 PM   #3
(female)

lvflwrs HB User

There are lots of other foods that can trigger the gas and bloating, not just dairy products. Stay away from beans, cabbage,caulifower and brocolli . My DH has Gerd and IBS.

Old 03-12-2009, 07:07 AM   #4
(female)

Forensicmom HB User

I think the hard part is knowing what is good for YOU to eat. I am very anemic and need to eat more iron loving foods, which include broccoli & beans, however they are gas producing. I also have to stay away from acid type foods b/c of the acid reflux AND I need to stay away from fatty foods b/c I had my gallbladder taken out and I can't tolerate them anymore.

So what am I left to eat? It's a VERY restrictive diet and hard to figure out. I considered going the natural route but they only tell you how bad everything is and you need to go ALL organic, which means $$$$$.

I also get criticized by family members for being too skinny. Some think I actually am trying to lose weight when it's just hard for me to eat sometimes.

Sorry for venting, it's just frustrating.

Old 03-12-2009, 10:52 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

neddyflanders HB User

Most of us have IBS with GERD. It's not caused by GERD (though I do think the IBS makes the GERD worse). IBS is caused by stress, so is GERD. We cannot control the stress therefore we are doomed to have both. I have controlled my stress for 6 months, was feeling great, went through 2 weeks of stress and now feel worse then ever. Cause and effect. Best cure for me would probably be a xanax.

Old 03-12-2009, 02:09 PM   #6
(female)

Forensicmom HB User

How did you control your stress?

I don't feel like I'm any more stressed then anyone else but I do have 4 kids (4, 8, 10, and 14) and I'm very busy with them and their schools. So taking care of them, the house, I run the entire Sunday School at my church and I volunteer at several places will cause some stress but it's not that bad and I do manage ME time.

So how do you know if stress is causing your stomach issues if there's nothing obvious (divorce, death, etc)???

Old 03-12-2009, 11:11 PM   #7
(female)

lvflwrs HB User

<<<<I think the hard part is knowing what is good for YOU to eat. I am very anemic and need to eat more iron loving foods, which include broccoli & beans, however they are gas producing.>>>>

There are many choices of iron loving foods that you can choose that may not producing lots of gas for you. You can find them by searching some websites.

I know what you mean by being skinny. My DH was critized a lot by family and friends by being skinny which actually is not his choice. It is the IBS. If he ate something wrong , automatically he got gassy or diarrhea.

Old 03-13-2009, 10:47 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

neddyflanders HB User

You can tell when stress is getting out of hand when you start getting anxiety along with it.

Old 03-13-2009, 11:53 AM   #9
(female)

Forensicmom HB User

I don't think I have anxiety so I guess my stress level is not out of control?

Closed Thread