It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-11-2009, 02:56 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

CharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB User
Treating Allergy Symptoms Any Relief For LPR?

I have had horrible PND, hacking cough and SOB for weeks now. Was contributing most to allergies since the oak blooms are everywhere. But, today I slept in late, it was raining and cold. When I got up there was no cough, PND, stuffy feelings or anything......Until, I ate lunch. Then all of a sudden I got all congested like, sinus feeling full, coughing up goop and SOB.
So, therefore wouldn't you agree that these episodes I have are from LPR. I hadn't been out doors, it's raining today and very cool. I have been treating with every kind of med known to man for allergies, which I thought would at least help symptoms. Do you think that with your LPR symptoms that using meds for allergies will improve the symptoms such as PND and so on? Am I just wasting my money on meds for allergies too?

CharBerry

Old 03-11-2009, 08:17 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User
Re: Treating Allergy Symptoms Any Relief For LPR?

CharBerry,
Have you ever had any allergy testing? I would think that is the best way to know for sure how much the allergies are playing into things. I know that allergy testing may not be practical for you right now though.

I don't think I can really answer you for how much is reflux and how much is allergies. I've had major allergies since my early 20's. I'm on 4 allergy meds and immunotherapy in addition to the reflux medication. I am just now realizing how much I blamed on the allergies over the years when it may have actually been reflux. I typically have about 4 sinus infections (or one that never really goes completely away) every fall/winter period. Since my reflux surgery last October, I just this week have my first full blown sinus infection. Makes me wonder how much the reflux has played a role in my sinus problems over the years.

I think there is often a mix of both allergies and reflux. What you are describing certainly sounds like more reflux than seasonal allergies. The other consideration might be a food allergy or sensitivity. I find I get symptoms similar to yours with certain foods. I'm really not certain if it is my body reacting to the food or whether the food is triggering the reflux.

I guess you could always try going off of the allergy meds for a bit to see if it makes a difference.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-12-2009, 07:52 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

CharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB User

Thanks. I did go the alergy testing route for many years and took shots. The last appt I had they said I didn't need shots anymore. I showed allergic to about everything in the beginning but only a few molds last time. I'm sure they could come back or even new ones start. The shots helped with my sneezing, runny eyes, sore throat, and maybe even the sinus infections, but I also continue to get sinus infections. May have one right now since I have been getting yellow goop from nose. Some type of steriod spray does help some but not much. I can't tell any difference in taking meds or not? Really think this is due to reflux with all the stress going on right now and like I said, I haven't been out of the house. I started using my sino-flow again now that I have plenty of time (no job) and will see if that will help.

I feel (and sound) like I have the flu all the time. Real congested and nasal. Lots of thick white goop comes up after eating anything or even drinking water. Haven't been taking Nexium in a long time because it wasn't working but may give it a shot and see. Find it hard not to get in bed soon after eating (or else eat in bed!) since I don't feel well. Again, this happens to me sitting straight up so why not get in bed and be miserable. I guess I need to go to the Dr. while it looks like my insurance is still activated. I don't have as many sinus infections as I once did but do have one or two every year. Sometimes I won't even know until I see asthma/allergy spec. Guess I'm thinking it's reflux? It's so confusing and frustrating. I honestly don't think surgery would have been a good idea for me. I don't think it would help my symptoms and I would be glad to even take meds after surgery if I'd be better. I think I'm at the point of nothing helping or working. Bad day.

Char

Old 03-13-2009, 10:50 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

NancyH HB User

Well one day I took a Zyrtec and it cleared my sore throat that I thought was another episode of acid reflux. I took it again and same thing so I use in in combination with my Nexium and it's pretty good. My ENT said that he has heard allergy pills have helped acid reflux as allergies can make acid reflux worse.

Old 03-14-2009, 02:01 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

I guess the real question is that you have these symptoms which may be reflux or could be allergy related, so by taking allergy medicine to help the symptoms (mucus in throat, PND, cough) will it be effective if the reason for them is actually from LPR (larynx reflux)? I would certainly think the steriod nasal sprays would help the inflammation in your nasal passages no matter what the cause since it would decrease the swelling making it easier to breath. The reason for this question is because I'm coughing my head off, sniffling all the dang time, sound all stopped up and he keeps bringing in all this cold/allergy meds and cough syrups for me that aren't making a dent. I gave in and had my Nexium re-filled so hoping after being off for several months that it will help. I have been told to be careful of some cough meds, which might make GERD worse. Same for cough drops. Glad you found something that helped you!

CharBerry

Old 03-16-2009, 01:47 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

rush_rulz HB User

CharBerry:

I too gag up water, and I've been treated with the endoscopy and the "air puff" of the throat to make it larger, as I had a splinching in it. I still suffer the same exact symptoms though. Honestly , wasn't worth it. I don't know; I am on nexium. I wish I had more advice, but, I can offer this: When I take my nexium (or something more fast acting if I'm really bad off like tums) AND a claratin at the same time I do notice more relief. Oh, and I too have bad allergies year round, and my allergist is actually the one that told me he thought I may have LPR, I hadn't considered a Gastro Dr until then. Maybe check that out, too.

Old 03-17-2009, 12:43 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

I think Nexium is supposed to be the best for LPR so back on it along with Allegra, Nasocort and Astilen. Throw some Sudafed in and Niquil at night. Can't tell any difference one way or another as I've tried switching, stopping, increasing, you name it. I know fried foods, dairy, Chinese food and bread makes me worse. I eat a lot of WW meals and they all seem to have tomato sauce in them and I drink Coke, which makes me feel better. Go figure. I get upset and stop all meds but then get to having so many problems that I try once again. Just depends on how I wake up!

Char

Old 03-17-2009, 06:01 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

NancyH HB User

Seems like we spend half our time finding ways to combine this and that to feel better! I do the same thing, get irritated and stop meds then get have to sart all over again. Coke helps me some also, it may be the carbonation who know!

Old 03-18-2009, 10:36 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Isn't that strange? That one thing can make people miserable helps us. Reason all of this is so frustrating.

Char

Closed Thread