It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-12-2009, 08:44 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(male)

neddyflanders HB User
Sorry but it's stress

I'd hate to say it but it's stress. I am going through a horrible time now (job loss) and my reflux is out of control. 3 months before I was stress free and no reflux at all when taking my prilosec. I have seen people with regular heartburn that aren't stressed out people but for most of us there is no cause but Stress. I am on HBP medicine and am considering switching to a beta blocker just because they are known to control stress.

Old 03-12-2009, 10:50 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

neddyflanders HB User
Re: Sorry but it's stress

Just to add to my previous post, I've been going through these posts and there is a lot of fear mongering going on. Someobdy says they have bad reflux, you always see one response saying Cancer or even heart disease. C'mon people, we have acid reflux it makes like a living hell but it does not cause cancer or heart disease. Yes there will always be that slim, slim possibility but you probably have a better chance of shark attack at the beach. Most of us have acid reflux because we cannot control our stress or we eat horribly, Yes I am guilty of both counts. I cannot control either one and until I do I will be stuck with constant sore throats and painful stomach but it will not kill me. For copies of this speech please write to blah blah blah.

Last edited by neddyflanders; 03-12-2009 at 10:50 AM. Reason: Spelling

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-14-2009, 05:43 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

TEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB User

I agree Neddy! I don't want to sit around thinking I have heart problems or getting cancer. I have alot of stress right now in my life. That is contributing to most of my reflux. I am the midst of losing my house to foreclosure, my businesses are floundering due to the economy, I have tons of stress from my step children having major problems....its no wonder I have developed acid reflux. I am trying to de stress myself, eat better and take off a few pounds and perhaps get myself back into a place of wellness. I am sure tons of people are getting reflux like us from stress alone. It doesn't mean we are going to die. We just have to make adjustments.

Take care!

Old 06-15-2009, 04:21 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

gigi11 HB Usergigi11 HB Usergigi11 HB User

There will probably be more cases of acid reflux because of the economy - people are eating more fast food (can't afford good food because the price of food went up) and then we get sick.

Old 06-15-2009, 09:54 AM   #5
(male)

noggin7717 HB User

I would highly suggest to anyone that has a lot of stress to talk to your Dr about it. And if this Dr doesn't "listen" to your complaints of stress/anxiety, you should find another Dr that does and actually tries to fix it.

My Dr put me on an anti-depressant for another issue and it has greatly reduced my GERD symptoms, until recently when I've been going through a rough patch (wife lost her job, mother DX'ed w/ breast cancer) and my GERD has been hitting me again. My doc put me additional anti-depressants and things are starting to even out.

I firmly believe this disease is largely stress related. Some people are dealing with stress/anxiety and don't even realize it. Talk with your doctor. See if they can recommend something.

Good luck all.

Old 06-15-2009, 10:08 AM   #6
(male)

greg1x HB User

Have to agree that stress can play a huge roll in reflux. It sure does with me. Greg

Old 06-15-2009, 10:47 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

Certainly, stress plays a big role. Even if you have hiatial hernia or something, I'm sure we all notice how it gets worse in times of greater anxiety.

Old 06-15-2009, 12:25 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

TEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB User

I predict alot more cases of acid reflux as well as other disease because of our economy. And the sad thing about this is your are right, people don't have the money to buy expensive healthy food. Lean meats and organically grown food is 2 to 3 times more expensive. We just can't all afford it. Organic milk for example is like 3 times the price of regular milk in our grocery store. But I do buy it anyway because I can tolerate it well.

Old 06-15-2009, 12:46 PM   #9
(female)

allsherote HB User

I am new here and beginning to believe mine is stress too. I had the worst stressful work year I have had in 22 years that I have worked in my place of employment. I had panic attacks which led to trips to the ER thinking I was having a heart attack. I did have an abnormal EKG and so they did a bunch of heart test which also led to a false positive result on a echo so they kept me coming back for echos. I had to end up having a heart cath and my heart cath was perfectly normal. It has been one stressful event after another for me since June of last year. I had to have lipomas removed from my arm and they told me they might be cancer before they took them out. They were only fatty tumors. It also took me a while to get out of the stressful job and into another less stressful position. I know have LPR symptoms and maybe GERD symptoms too. I am constantly clearing my throat, have soreness in my naspharangeal area, have some mild regurgitation. Went to ENT and he put me on generic Prilosec. I am having some unpleasant side effects so trying to hang in there with it. I just started Saturday but over the past year my anxiety and depression from my anxiety have both been sky high. I have modified my diet and lost weight but I have this mucosy feeling in my throat most of the time with on and off soreness behind my nose, burping a lot, mild stomachaches which I think might be a side effect of the PPI partly. I just can't seem to calm down. They even biopsied my nasopharangeal area and it was benign but all of these reflux symptoms are new to me and are driving me crazy!

Old 06-15-2009, 03:27 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Welcome to the boards Allsherote! I love your screen name too! This is a place of great comfort because you will find you aren't alone. Most of us on this thread are taking Acid reflux meds. I am currently taking Prevacid. It's my first week on it. I think today I started feeling a bit better. It takes awhile. I have done the Prilosec too. Works pretty good, but I have a few side effects. Stress does alot to us. I think acid reflux is one of the biggest contributors to this problem. I hope you get to feeling better soon.

Here for you to talk to anything!

Old 06-16-2009, 09:31 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

gigi11 HB Usergigi11 HB Usergigi11 HB User

Last night I had a biggie attack and don't know if it was a panic attack that provoked the attacked. My mind is on the test issue 24 hours a day and all I can think about is that I might have something really wrong with me. I felt nausau last night and took my nausau medicine which did not work. I think my panic attacks are starting these stomach problems. I kept belching and was numb all over which I knew this was panic. My blood pressure went up. These gasterologist take there good old time scheduling these tests and I am suffering here. I am seeing him today just to get some answers. All I ate today was fruit. I feel emotionally drained. My mom said I will kill myself from all the stress of thinking I have cancer. So my doctor assured me if I had cancer I would be much sicker plus the surgeon would have seen something wrong went he did the surgery. Why I am not convinced - I guess because I want those test done fast.

Old 06-17-2009, 10:12 AM   #12
(female)

MLB65 HB User

I'm new here, but have been reading for the past two months. That is when my symptoms began. I am in the same boat it seems as many here. I lost my job in February. Financially, my husband and I are fine for now, though we have had to cut back and tighten our belts as many others.

Maybe I can get some support or advice here. First I need to say that I am a smoker and have been reading a book on how to quit and want to quit.. I have cut way down over the past year, from over 2 packs a day to between 8-15 a day and working hard to keep going. But because of this when I first started to feel a slight pain and burning in my chest (center beneath my breast bone), my anxiety became worsened. I'd have off and on pain/burning or just pain or just burning that sometimes would feel as if it were even between my shoulder blades. I then started noticing a lot of indigestion. I then lost my appetite...and became even more alarmed. I went to the doctor (GP) who said my heartburn could be because I have been on an anti-inflamatory for many years and can now be causing heartburn. She did a routine urinalysis and came back into the office saying "did you know you had blood in your urine?"...."No, I have no pain or anything." She said it was a UTI and gave me antibiotics along with telling me to take Prilosec OTC once a day.

After a few days on the anti-biotics, I started getting my appetite back and became more relaxed as the heart burn and chest pain went away. I felt great! I was so relieved too. But then not long after the antibiotics were done, I started getting the PND. I've never had it like this before, I actually felt it drip into the back of my throat and it just stays there. Won't come up or go down. I began swallowing, coughing, clearing, spitting..constantly. Then the I started experience chest tightening, pain and the burning again.

I had a whole round of blood work done, she said everything was as good as you would want it to be except my thyroid was a tad high so she put me on a low dose medication for hypothyroidism, and told me to increase the prilosec to twice a day.

I did this and had a whole week pretty much of mild symptoms to no symptoms, but the phlegm was still there just didn't seem as bad. Or maybe I tried to ignore it...I'm not sure which. Some days it is worse than others but it is a constant annoyance.

I swallow so much that my throat feels sore at times, it also feels dry and seems to even click or make a loud noise when I swallow. My chest pain and burn still come and go....I can go a day without anything but then the next day it can bother me all day.

Now, I've notices more gas in my stomach and stomach pains (mostly around my left side of belly button to top of belly button)..this is also worse some days than others.

I don't notice much difference depending on food that I eat, but I am almost afraid to eat at times. I have stopped drinking all coffee and soda too. All I've been drinking is water.

When I think about things or worry, then the heartburn seems to come on with a vengence even if I have not eaten anything.

I'm making an appointment with my GP. Most times they have me see tne NP, I'm thinking I might want to see the regular GP, but I really like the NP. Also, what should I say? I'm afraid of being told it's all stress or that it's in my head, but I do know that my chest and throat areas do not feel right! Something is not right and something tells me it is not just allergies. I did try taking claritin for a week and there was no change in the PND.

Sorry this is sooooo long. I've been coming here and reading for a while now, and just felt the desire to get it out to whomever will listen.

Thanks in advance for any words you might have.

Closed Thread