It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-13-2009, 11:57 AM   #1
(female)

Forensicmom HB User
Has anyone had their body's PH level checked?

I've been so frustrated lately with my dr telling me to adjust my diet (take out all acidic foods, all dairy, and all fats) but I"m also anemic so I need certain things. It's so confusing that I'm overwhelmed.

A few days ago my mother was taking to my cousin (out of state) about my problems. He's a doctor and mentioned something about the PH level of your stomach and how that really effects things. So I did some searching on-line and there's a lot of info about how if your PH level is off, it can really cause problems with digestion and a lot of other things.

Has anyone else ever checked their levels? Is this really true?

Old 03-15-2009, 04:37 PM   #2
(female)

hunjiman HB User
Re: Has anyone had their body's PH level checked?

The key is to keep your pH at a more alkaline level. You should check out information about alkaline foods, and unprocessed foods to help this. In addition, try drinking apple cider vinegar. It has really helped me, flushing out toxins and the weak acid in the ACV helps digest strong acids and converts them to alkaline ash, which helps your pH level.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-15-2009, 05:04 PM   #3
(female)

Forensicmom HB User

Thanks but how much and how often do you drink it?

I've read that it's supposed to be good for. I would never admit it to my mother in law because she always insisted that cide vinegar cured anything.

Old 03-15-2009, 11:06 PM   #4
(female)

hunjiman HB User

Its recommended to take 1 tablespoon with 8 oz of water, in the morning. You should take unfiltered, unpasteurized, organic. Either Braggs or a new brand the I've tried Body Ami

Last edited by moderator2; 03-16-2009 at 07:03 AM. Reason: posted disallowed website(s)

Old 03-16-2009, 05:27 AM   #5
(female)

Forensicmom HB User

I was actually miserable last night so I took 1 tbsp of apple cider vinegar around 9:00 but I drank with it ginger ale b/c that's what usually settles my stomach. NOT last night. I felt so much worse after I drank the vinegar. I dont' know if it was because of the ginger ale or not but I had to sleep sitting up in the recliner b/c I felt like my stomach was up in my throat.

Old 03-18-2009, 05:30 PM   #6
(female)

DMBF HB User

My naturopath of a few years ago told me to take the ACV challenge: start with 1 tsp in a glass of warm water before meals---see how it feels. If I feel a warm sensation in my stomach, then that means that I already have enough acid (even though, yes, ACV when digested is supposedly alkaline). If not, gradually increase by 1/4 tsp until that warm feeling occurs. For you, maybe you already have enough acid and the ACV makes it worse. One tablespoon is A LOT! But ironically, I have been told/read/heard from many sources that with GERD, you should NOT drink carbonated beverages. So, maybe it was the ginger ale, or, maybe you don't have classic GERD and therefore the ginger ale doesn't normally bother you. Every one seems to be different.

Old 03-18-2009, 05:43 PM   #7
(female)

DMBF HB User

Also, re PH levels, yes I have tracked mine with PH Paper you can get at a health food store, and yes, I tend to be acidic. You can check it with your urine or saliva, but you need to do it consistently for a week or two. I did notice how much it could change depending on what I ate, esp. for supper. Stress also could affect the reading, making me more "acidic".

There is some great info on testing PH and also what to do about it on many sites. Do a search on google re: pH testing and alkaline forming foods--it's all very interesting.

Old 03-25-2009, 10:18 AM   #8
(male)

macboy HB User

If you're interested in alkaline foods and drinks, check out the Alkazone water ionizers and pH booster drops. I have the Alkazone ionizer at home and now that's all I drink pretty much. Helps me balance out the pH.

Old 04-08-2009, 11:57 AM   #9
(female)

mocha1061 HB User

Yes, pH makes a huge difference. go to your health food store, get some litmus paper, and check your pH. If you are acidic, change your foods to alkaline foods and get either the water pills or water drops to change your drinking water to alkaline. It will make a difference!

Closed Thread