It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-14-2009, 06:18 PM   #1
(female)

nwmom HB User
Common to give children Prevacid for reflux?

This medicine seems to have so many serious potential side effects, yet the Dr. prescribed it for my 6-yr.-old son's reflux. Does anyone else know of young kids who are on this Rx?
Thanks,
nwmom

Old 03-15-2009, 05:01 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

gcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB User
Re: Common to give children Prevacid for reflux?

I'm not sure which "serious" side effects you're referring to, but Prevacid is generally a very safe medication.

The only two listed side effects in the prescribing information, that were more common for Prevacid than placebo, are abdominal pain and diarrhea. You might keep in mind that they list every side effect, even if it is only reported by one person or was reported by more people taking a placebo than the prescribed medication.

It's not unusual for Prevacid to be prescribed for children as young as 2. Obviously if you're concerned, you should talk to your doctor about other options but all of the drugs in the same class as Prevacid have similar side effects (and are generally very safe).

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-15-2009, 01:56 PM   #3
(female)

jett2020 HB User

My son was on this when he was 7. I didn't think it did much for him. Now he is on prilosec, that is specially compounded at the pharmacy. It seems to work much better.Also pepcid ac regular , has worked well too. If you don't want all the possible side affects of the prevacid. This is coming from my sons gastro not a pcp. He also has EE. I go with my gut ,if I think it's too much I won't give it to my kids..

Old 03-15-2009, 04:45 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

gcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB User

Quote:
If you don't want all the possible side affects of the prevacid.
Just FYI, the side effects of Prevacid and Prilosec are nearly identical. The two are very closely related medications from the same class of medications.

Closed Thread