It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-05-2013, 12:50 PM   #16
(male)

butchers boy HB User
Re: Oesophagal Spasm

So good for others to have shared their experiences at this "crucial" time. I am in the middle of my second only "attack". Last was 2.5 years ago at dinner with mates drinking red wine and eating rare steak. Guess what I was doing this evening? Well, actually with my wife.

I normally chew my food alot. In fact, friends and family joke how long it takes me to finish a meal. I do this because I enjoy my food, not for any medical reason.

Steak is not a food you can chew to a pulp. Is that the reason I wonder?

Anyway, I'm 60kg and very fit cyclist of 53 years. I just took a break from typing this because I wanted to be sick, but didn't.

I've had the attack for the past 90 mins or so. It is not as intense as at the beginning, but I daren't swallow for fear of making the pain return, so have a spitoon! Lovely!!

Other correspondents appear to have much worse symptoms, so don't feel sorry for me! I just thought I'd share the painful experience. I've managed to convince my wife it is not a heart attack, and that I'm feeling better - gradually.

No more steak for me unless it's minced.

I'll pop up again if I have another attack to see if there is a common theme for me, or if there is another possible cause.

Old 01-28-2013, 09:17 AM   #17
(female)

frustrated mom7 HB User
Re: Esophageal Spasm

I too have been having attacks like this but no other symptoms like burning or difficulty swallowing. Just simply chest pain in behind my breast bone and some in my back. It doesn't seem to be related to food and there is no pattern. They come any time of day no matter what I am doing and last anywhere from 2 min to 1 hr. I haven't found anything that helps yet all I do is bend down and lean over the toilet as though I am vomitting but I am not nore do I feel like I have to. I know that sounds funny but I was suffering from gallstone attacks about 6 mths ago where I would vomit, so when I started getting this pain again just not as severe I automatically went to the bathroom. I know it is not the gallbladder because I had it removed in Oct then started having attacks again 3 weeks after my surgery. The GI dr sent me for a scope where he found that I had gastritis but when I had a follow up appt early in the month he said it seemed better and that I could go off the drugs, Domperidone and a PPI. Everything was fine for a little over a week and then BAM, another attack. I am so frustrated with all of this. It all started after having my second child in April last year and the GI dr seems to just be giving up on me. Also, I have been taking Vitamin C because of low platelets and just recently read that vitamin C can make the spasms worse so I am going to stop them for now and see if the spams settle down. I see my family dr next week hopefully I can get some answers.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-29-2013, 07:58 AM   #18
(male)

dcguy HB Userdcguy HB Userdcguy HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by frustrated mom7 View Post
I too have been having attacks like this but no other symptoms like burning or difficulty swallowing. Just simply chest pain in behind my breast bone and some in my back. It doesn't seem to be related to food and there is no pattern. They come any time of day no matter what I am doing and last anywhere from 2 min to 1 hr.
I've had similar issues for a couple years now. One "attack" was so bad I went to the hospital. Turns out I was having a mild panic attack, and that the anxiety is triggered by or associated with the heartburn, either because I'm thinking about it too much or it's just a physical response to the irritation caused by anything like alcohol, caffeine, overeating, etc.

In any case, they prescribed me Xanax (as needed) and Clonazepam (daily). This helped my symptoms tremendously and gave me confidence that I could go out without getting an attack (or if I felt an attack coming I could just pop a xanax to squash it). These are not drugs I wanted to be on, but they helped until I was able to recover and control it on my own. I still take the Xanax as needed (it's only .25mg), but it's been a lifesaver.

Ask your doc about trying these meds as a way to cope, then after you've been symptom free for a while you can try to go off of them. I eventually got off the PPI, too, but have been back on it lately because I overdid the eating and drinking around the holiday. I've had to cut out alcohol and caffeine from my diet completely for the past month. Seems to take weeks for my body to go back to being symptom free after a few episodes of heartburn/anxiety, but after this i may stay away from the alcohol and coffee full-time. The anxiety issue is definitely associated with my stomach problems, because I am otherwise a very happy stress free person in good health and not overweight. Hope this helps.

Last edited by dcguy; 01-29-2013 at 07:59 AM.

Old 02-12-2013, 12:08 PM   #19
(male)

nikolatr HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1sunny1 View Post
I don't have an answer to your question, but I have had esophageal spasms since 1981 and I am still here, I don't ever feel like I am going to die, I doubt anyone dies from the spasms. They can be scary if you don't know what they are, but once you know and can deal with them, you should be O.K.. You can take a muscle relaxer to help with the spasms, the esophagus is a muscle.

Sunny
I found that taking Mg in various forms citrate or gluconate prevents me from having spams. When I said spasms, not sure whether they re vaso- or esophageal..? Would Mg be sensitive to only ones i.e vaso- spasms of coronary arteries or as muscle relaxer is not specific because it can also calm esophageal spasms..- does smn. know that? In the past had 2x checked into ER for what supposed to be esophageal ones.

Old 03-13-2013, 04:50 AM   #20
(female)

jerzeygirl70 HB User

I love having this board and reading all the posts knowing I'm not alone. I'm so sorry all of you are going through this as well. I have an emergency kind of appt. this morning for my ES. I was diagnosed last month when I had a pain in my chest that felt like I was punched in my chest.

Since I was diagnosed and put on medication along with magnesium I have been having more symptoms. The most concerning one is that I initially felt like a lump was in my throat and I was trying to breathe and eat around it. I now feel like something is stuck in my throat. I have been having a feeling as though my esophagus is full and once its full my food lays at the back of my throat. I can feel small pieces of my food really back there.

I am now feeling out of breath and my heart races when I lean forward or go up and down my stairs. I was at the grocery store yesterday and felt as though I was going to pass out. I am so discouraged because there doesn't seem to be much I can do to make this better. I'm constantly swallowing my saliva to try and dislodge something knowing all along that nothing is really there. So now I'm concerned I'm going to get into this new habit not realizing it. I have been eating soft foods only and yesterday I ate a banana which burned my stomach. I have no idea what casused that..

I pray for everyone that muse endure this issue hope you find relief.

Old 03-13-2013, 08:33 AM   #21
(male)

discgman HB User

I was in the ER three times in November because of almost blacking out and esophagus spasms. They thought I had a heart ailment. After a month of tests, it ended up being esophogitis and gerd. They gave me nitro glycerin pills to put under my tongue in case they ever got bad. I thought those pills were just for a heart attack. But recently by dr. informed me that they also help spasms.

Old 03-13-2013, 10:26 AM   #22
(female)

jerzeygirl70 HB User

I was given the nytro pills as well but they didn't help. I'm having an EGD done tomorrow, so I'm hoping I get some answers then.

Old 03-13-2013, 10:46 AM   #23
(male)

discgman HB User

Endoscopy should give you some answers. For me it showed slight irritation, but nothing else. Biopsy reveled nothing. Eventually the spasms went away after being on prilosec for 8 weeks. Now my stomach is finally starting to heal from the prilosec. When I do reflux, I do get the spasms, a little light headedness and pressure in my sinus.

Old 03-13-2013, 11:42 AM   #24
(female)

jerzeygirl70 HB User

I hope your right!! I was put on Pantoprazole which seems to help the reflux, however my other symptoms are worse then the reflux. You having pressure in your sinuses which I'm surprised thats not bothering me since everything seems to affect my sinuses. I'm having the chest pain, pain between my shoulder blades, lump in my throat and I lose my breath very easily which I'm contributing to the lump in my throat.

Closed Thread