It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-14-2009, 09:26 PM   #1
(female)

cocopooop HB User
Esophageal Spasm

how many people have died from Esophageal Spasm

Old 03-15-2009, 09:05 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

1sunny1 HB User1sunny1 HB User
Re: Esophageal Spasm

I don't have an answer to your question, but I have had esophageal spasms since 1981 and I am still here, I don't ever feel like I am going to die, I doubt anyone dies from the spasms. They can be scary if you don't know what they are, but once you know and can deal with them, you should be O.K.. You can take a muscle relaxer to help with the spasms, the esophagus is a muscle.

Sunny

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-16-2009, 06:26 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

CharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB User

I was watching the show "House" the other night and someone had an esphogal spasm and they acted like you stop breathing when you have them. Everyone running around ready to "jump start" the patient. I don't have them often (thank goodness) but I do feel like I might choke to death sometimes. I don't think I have ever heard of any actually dying either although you may feel like it. They are pretty rare.

CharBerry

Old 03-16-2009, 11:11 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

gcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB User

It's extremely unlikely that someone would die from an esophageal spasm. An esophageal spasm may constrict the esophagus and keep food from moving into the stomach, but the esophagus is located below the branch that allows air to move into the trachea, so someone who experiences an esophageal spasm can still breathe (even if it feels like they can't).

A close friend of mine who had advanced Barrett's esophagus would occasionally experience a severe spasm that would make it impossible for him to swallow but he could always breathe during his spasms (even though it took several spasms for him to realize this).

Old 03-30-2009, 11:38 PM   #5
(female)

goofienewfie HB User
Red face Re: Esophageal Spasm

Hi, I had 2 episodes of severe pain in my chest in the last 4 days. Both times I was washing my hair when it started. Lasted for 15-20 minutes each time and felt like sharp rocks in my upper center chest, I was vomiting, faint and dizzy and it and gradually moved upwards towards my throat. I went to emergency yesterday and was told it was esophagus spasms. I am so scared as this was the most severe, scary pain I have ever had and I am afraid it will happen again. I had not eaten anything in about 16 hours each time and do not suffer from acid reflux. I occassionally get heartburn but not very often. Has anyone experienced such severe pain related to esophagus spasms? Thanks.

Old 03-31-2009, 06:54 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

1sunny1 HB User1sunny1 HB User

Hi, I have had them that bad, when I didn't know what they were of course it scared me, which it would scare anyone. I have had them now since 1981, so I am not scared anymore, but they really are annoying. You can take a muscle relaxer for them, I take flexeril, I usually take it at bedtime because it will make you sleepy, but you can also try cutting one in half to see if that will work. Also, I know this sounds laughable, but...I always eat soda crackers when I get the spasms, for some reason the crackers help. Of course if you are throwing up, that won't work. But if you can, give it a try...can't hurt to try.

Sunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofienewfie View Post
Hi, I had 2 episodes of severe pain in my chest in the last 4 days. Both times I was washing my hair when it started. Lasted for 15-20 minutes each time and felt like sharp rocks in my upper center chest, I was vomiting, faint and dizzy and it and gradually moved upwards towards my throat. I went to emergency yesterday and was told it was esophagus spasms. I am so scared as this was the most severe, scary pain I have ever had and I am afraid it will happen again. I had not eaten anything in about 16 hours each time and do not suffer from acid reflux. I occassionally get heartburn but not very often. Has anyone experienced such severe pain related to esophagus spasms? Thanks.

Old 01-09-2010, 10:06 AM   #7
(male)

fertg1234 HB User

These spasms are very diverse and in my case itís the most painful thing I have experienced and is gradually getting more frequent. My Doctor got so concerned he sent me straight to the emergency dept of the local hospital as he thought I was having a heart attack. The pain can be extreme and the location of the offending muscle can cause the spasm to imitate the symptoms of angina. The pain is identical and can be very extreme though it does not register on an ECG or appear to cause any damage to the heart.
I am on a variety of medications anti acid medication and painkillers as well as a nitro spay, to be honest they do not fully curb the pain. I get dizzy and faint, some time the pain lingers all day and other days are fine.

Old 05-04-2010, 02:58 PM   #8
(female)

Rachel Byrd HB User

My gastroenderologist told me that the spasms are not life threatening, probably won't get worse or better. Mine are very irregular, time wise and strength

Old 05-04-2010, 03:03 PM   #9
(female)

Rachel Byrd HB User

Twice I had spasms that lasted more than 40 minutes. The first time I went to emergency (hadn't been diagnosted yet) and they did a bunch of tests but didn't figure it out. They were very painful - but it always ends by itself, usually in less than 10 minutes. Scary, but no life threatening.

Old 05-05-2010, 05:07 AM   #10
(male)

dcguy HB Userdcguy HB Userdcguy HB User

To those having spasms, have you tried magnesium supplements? Mag is critical to proper muscle functioning. I had sudden onset of acid reflux and started taking Prilosec and supplementing with Pepto and Gaviscon, but I still had weird symptoms, including occassional soreness in my chest and some breathing issues if the flare up was bad enough.

I eventually read about the effects of mag deficiency and started taking a 500mg supplement and my problems went away completely and immediately. It literally cured me. My doc thought I might have nutcracker syndrome or spasms, as well, although I never had the kind of pain you all are talking about. It's something you might want to try or at least read up about.

Old 02-11-2011, 01:50 PM   #11
(female)

Alexandralife HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharBerry View Post
I was watching the show "House" the other night and someone had an esphogal spasm and they acted like you stop breathing when you have them. Everyone running around ready to "jump start" the patient. I don't have them often (thank goodness) but I do feel like I might choke to death sometimes. I don't think I have ever heard of any actually dying either although you may feel like it. They are pretty rare.

CharBerry

Hi, I know this is a little off topic question. But since I also suffer with esophagus spasm, I'm really curious about which season and episode of house your are talking.

Alexandra

Last edited by Alexandralife; 02-11-2011 at 01:52 PM.

Old 04-15-2011, 04:34 AM   #12
(female)

dee46 HB User

When I lay down I must have these spasms from pressure in the esophagus. My blood pressure and pulse go up but when I sit up for awhile it stops. Some days I cannot swallow others I am good. Some days I feel like I have sores in my esophagus. The pain I had the other night sent me to the ER and they thought I had a pulmonary embolism but a CT with contrast ruled that out. I have blood in my mouth upon waking up and I do not know if it is my teeth or coming from my esophagus or a abcsess? Weird stuff happening to me. Now I am on protonix I was on tagament, and prilosec. He also prescribed Cefuroxime twice daily for a possible infection, but I am worried. I am trying to arrange a endoscope, but I now the CT showed a abnormal Thyroid gland, so i need to check into that also.

Dee

Last edited by dee46; 04-15-2011 at 04:39 AM.

Old 07-17-2012, 09:14 AM   #13
(female)

SRS2307 HB User

I have these. Really, really hard core spasms in my esophagus. It is the most unbelievable pain ever. It usually starts when I swallow something and it "goes down the wrong way". First, I feel like i have swallowed a rock but instead of it just going down hard I start to sweat and I can't swallow. Then I get a lot of saliva in my mouth all at once, sort of like I might vomit. But I don't ever actually vomit. I usually have a good 5 -10 seconds to get somewhere where I can sit down (usually I end up face first in the floor). I try to swallow and breath but both seem cut off.

All of this sounds like the severe ES that everyone describes on the forms. Here is where I feel like mine is different:

Once I sit down and it really kicks in I am totally and utterly unable to communicate. I usually have some seconds of intense pain where I feel like I could be having a heart attack. I always feel sort of like I am dying, though I know I have survived this before. Then, I completely black out. I mean, I am out! I usually only stay out for a minute or so but it feels like 10 minutes. Typically, when I come back around it is because I realize that I am suffering from this amazing, intense pain ravaging my whole body but mostly my chest. Once I come out of the black out I still cant move for about 5 minutes. When I say I can't move I mean I can hardly lift a finger, much less my whole head or talk or anything like that. Oh yeah, and I sweat like a maniac right as I come out of the black out.

Generally, after I get myself together (5-10 minutes) I am just totally drained. This has happened to me multi times over the years. I always black out and occasionally have seizures because of it. I am a little worried because no one on here has mentioned any black outs or seizures. Any thoughts?

I don't have insurance or money so I can't even see a doctor about this. Should I be concerned about any perm. damage or anything?

I have realized from reading this that I have these spasms more than I realized at first. Before I just thought the "feels like I swallowed a rock" thing happened to everyone and it wasn't abnormal. Now I see that these too are variing degrees of spasms. Sure would be a GREAT time to have some insurance....

Old 11-19-2012, 08:16 AM   #14
(male)

Charleyo HB User

My Nutcracker-level spasms started just two weeks ago. I don't know what brought them on. The doctor recognized the symptoms (after ruling out a heart attack, which is what it had all the symptoms of) by giving me a "cocktail" of numbing meds to drink when an attack happened in his office. The med killed the pain within 3 minutes. However, he didn't suggest anything except a stronger antacid.

My spasms don't seem to be food related exactly. In two cases of the hardest attacks, they occurred after I lay down in bed. I now only sleep sitting up on the couch. Not a favorite solution for my wife! But I have no choice. The attacks are excruciating and they can go on for hours. Eventually, I give in and take 2 or 3 Benedryl to knock me out (sitting up) when I awaken, the attack is over.

Has anyone found that the acid/alkaline balance of the foods they eat is a factor in their spasm attacks? One bit of information I found suggested that the mis-firing of the esophagus is related to the overall pH balance in your body (which leads to acid stomach and body aches). I'm trying to focus on more alkaline foods - more green veggies, drinking lemon/lime juice in warm water, taking apple cider vinegar before eating, etc.

The attacks have become less frequent - one per day instead of 3 - 4 per day. Any advice or suggestions you might have will be GREATLY appreciated.

Old 12-16-2012, 07:47 PM   #15
(male)

gregusmeus HB User

Spasms are frequently caused by heartburn, so taking action to limit heartburn may reduce spasms. That said, I limit my heartburn as much as possible (I've had surgery as well as take meds) and I've had to call an ambulance 3 times in the last 4 days due to spasms.

The fact that you get spasms after lying down makes me strongly suspect heartburn trigger in your case. Try taking antacids or Gavescon before/after eating and before bed. Tilt your bed by putting bricks under the legs at the head end. Avoid spicy food, alcohol, fizzy drinks, citrus fruit juices, black coffee and don't eat just before going to bed.

I'm surprised that you are drinking lemon/lime juice, as these are acidic. I love them too (preferably in a margarita!) but make sure I've taken my omeprazole first. Vinegar too is pure acid but I think I've read elsewhere cider vinegar can be beneficial. I used to take a lot of omega 3 supplements and omega 3 rich food, but these days I don't get too fussed, it seems to me most spasms just happen when they happen, including my recent bout. The pain is immeasurable and on the last two occasions, including today, I was given a morphine shot. That does the trick but hardly a long term solution. Back to the consultant on Tuesday!

The following user gives a hug of support to gregusmeus:
georgi17 (01-28-2013)
Closed Thread