It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-17-2009, 07:12 PM   #1
(male)

henda11 HB User
Can Anxiety cause acid reflux?

hi

everytime my anxiety comes on i feel a burning sensation in my stomach almost like when you go a while without food or have no food on a morning.

can anxiety cause acid reflux?

Old 03-18-2009, 08:23 AM   #2
(male)

greg1x HB User
Re: Can Anxiety cause acid reflux?

It sure agravates my reflux. Greg... have GAD (generalized anxiety disorder) and GERD.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-18-2009, 02:26 PM   #3
(male)

goingcrazy8 HB User

I just wrote a long post on this, but I get the exact same thing right before an anxiety attack. I get a burning sensation in my stomach that moves up my esophogus. Do you have Nausea all the time also? How frequently does this occur?

Old 03-18-2009, 05:21 PM   #4
(female)

DMBF HB User

I have been told that anixety in and of itself does not CAUSE GERD--it can cause the excess acid in the stomach, but to have it move it the esophagus is related more to the LES (sphincter/valve) not functioning properly (due to repeated acid!!! or other reasons) which results in the GERD/ACID REFLUX or burning sensation many people get.

For me, I think that anxiety played a big role in my GERD getting out of control to the point that I needed regular medication. Most dr.'s will disagree although I have talked to one or two that agree that it can definitely aggravate it. I suppose it's true--it's like headaches and other ailments....everyone has stress to one degree or another and some get headaches, some get IBS, some get TMJ, some get GERD. So that is why they can't say "for sure" that anxiety causes GERD (or else everyone would have it) and I get that. Even now, 2.5 years later, I can be symptom free, but if I get really stressed, what I feel is the GERD acting up. I think it hits the weak spot in your body and looking back (like way back, into childhood) whenever I was nervous, I felt it in my stomach. So I suppose it's no big surprise that I have GERD now as an adult.

If anxiety is a trigger, then, in a strange way, it makes it somewhat easier to "treat", unlike many others on this site who cannot figure out a trigger. Yes, easier said than done, but we all know that there are lots of "treatments" for anxiety, including medication, exercise, relaxation techniques, etc. Then of course there is the best way--treat the underlying issues or cause. That is the best thing to do with anything. Our medical society is too quick to put a band-aid on and treat the symptoms and not the underlying cause.

For me, this has taken years of my own research and looking "inward" at what I need to do. Again, easier said than done, but despite the GERD, I am a much wiser happier person with concrete goals, compared to what I was when I first started dealing with this GERD many years ago. A silver lining to every cloud!

Good luck with it all!!!!

Old 03-19-2009, 09:41 AM   #5
(male)

greg1x HB User

You put it well. Does it cause GERD, not likely. Does it aggravate GERD , Yes definitely (in my opinion at least). Greg

Old 03-19-2009, 01:07 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

neddyflanders HB User

I was doing 99% ok. After losing my job I have been under extreme stress, I cannot even swallow now. The prescription prilosec was working perfectly when I didn't have strees now it does nothing. Hopefully my stress will let up soon and my reflux will die down. Is stress the cause of reflux, no it didn't make it happen but it makes it go out of control. No stress, I can control my reflux.

Old 01-29-2011, 08:59 PM   #7
(female)

Jewels60 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaugreg1x View Post
You put it well. Does it cause GERD, not likely. Does it aggravate GERD , Yes definitely (in my opinion at least). Greg
I agree wholeheartedly Greg. I tired one time taking my Atavan for my anxiety when my tummy started burning and by golly it cleared it up.

henda11, so I'd say if you think it's anxiety see if you can get something for it and maybe a lot of your symptoms would be alleviated.

I have Barrett's so I can't quit my Prilosec EVER. But I can also treat what maybe making it worse.

Old 05-13-2011, 03:13 PM   #8
(female)

elsajo HB Userelsajo HB User

hi, yes anxiety can cause gerd but so can a number of other mental/emotional problems. my doctor has said this to me. hope this helps

Old 05-13-2011, 07:48 PM   #9
(female)

worrywartmom39 HB Userworrywartmom39 HB Userworrywartmom39 HB Userworrywartmom39 HB Userworrywartmom39 HB User

I believe stress and anxiety are the number 1 triggers for LPR in particular. I've said before that I had a really tough semester of school this past one and I had gotten an URI. Well after that all my other problems started. They consumed my mind and my problems only worsened. Anxiety and stress are not the causes, but let me say again they are antagonists! No doubt about it. So, I'm wondering can an ENT also prescribe meds to help with stress and anxiety alone with the ppi's and such?

Old 05-13-2011, 10:48 PM   #10
(female)

elsajo HB Userelsajo HB User

hi, i dont know if E.N.T can prescribe anything for stress/anxiety but i'd ask them anyway you have nothing to lose by asking i certainly think you should

Old 07-12-2011, 12:50 PM   #11
(male)

Almac13 HB User

I believe te answer is yes. My GERD worsens everytime I panic about my condition.

Old 07-12-2011, 07:21 PM   #12
Veteran
(female)

CrazyLife414 HB UserCrazyLife414 HB UserCrazyLife414 HB User

I know this is an older post, but I have to put my 2 cents in on this on... I know that medical professionals always say that anxiety does not cause GERD.. Well I must disagree! When I have anxiety, I have GERD... When I am calm and having an easy day (I know, when do we get those??) I have no GERD..
Lately my anxiety has been really bad, so my GERD has been out of control.

I hope this helps to answer your question..
b.

Closed Thread