It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-21-2009, 07:58 AM   #1
(female)

Aryana70 HB User
Anyone else feels like dust in the throat?

I have been diagnosed been acid reflux and LPR, and small hiatus hernia.The LPR has been under control with nexium 40mg X2 a day, but the stomach burning, and excess phlegm, and burping, funny stomach pain like hunger pains are there most of the time!!
Lately not on a daily basis yet, I get this sensation that I have dust like stuff on the throat and I need to clear my throat or cough. Has this happened to anyone else? Is this another joy of this condition?

Old 03-21-2009, 08:49 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

TEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB User
Re: Anyone else feels like dust in the throat?

yes, it can be like a catch in your throat. You can feel like you have to clear your throat, or almost like you are going to choke. I know the sensation you are talking about.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-21-2009, 08:58 AM   #3
(female)

Aryana70 HB User

Thanks for your reple, I guess it feels like tickiling first. I am so tired of this conditions.
I was referred to a surgeon for Nissen Fundoplication, and I am in 2 minds about the surgery. I am 39 and worry about this condition a lot. The surgeon said the surgery will stop the heartburn, but can't gurantee that it would stop the stomach burning, and I might still have to take 40mg nexium. From the moment that I saw him, I think I feel worst anyway, so confused!!! Her said since your sypmtoms are not too bad! carry on with 80mg nexium a day, but how can you?

Old 03-21-2009, 09:21 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

TEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB User

Well I would try to make surgery your last priority. First do everything you can to get it under control. Try changing your diet where you are not eating foods that cause the reflux to act up. And try the apple cidar vinegar in water. It seems to work. I find that the acid reflux meds make me feel worse with so many other side effects that I only use Tums, change my diet and try natural products and tea's from the healthfood store. I realize my case is mild compared to others. That being the case you may have to stay on meds as directed. But certainly watch your food groups and stress level and maybe you can wean off the meds onto natural things. Try surgery only as a very last resort. Hang in there! I know you frustration, I deal with this too.

Old 03-21-2009, 02:36 PM   #5
(female)

AlisaBeth HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aryana70 View Post
I get this sensation that I have dust like stuff on the throat and I need to clear my throat or cough. Has this happened to anyone else? Is this another joy of this condition?
I can so relate. In the process of trying to get diagnoised and going from Dr. to Dr....I would describe the sensation as dirt in my throat. Didn't make any difference what I said it felt like...they just were so quick to assume it was going around and everyone had it...Grrrr!!!! Anyway, I went to my ENT and I was tested for allergies...No allergies, that was a good thing because my symptoms were so like Allergies. Next test was for LPR..running the tube down my nose..Thank goodness he found what was wrong. I was just about at the end of my rope. Could not sleep due to coughing all night long and nothing I took prescribed or over the counter would knock my cough. I looked so sick with the dark circles and bags under my eyes. I'm now on Nexium twice a day and Singulair at night and Patanase nasal spray. I still have the cough at night with the clear bubbley frothy phlegm...but no where near as bad as it was. I'm just so relieved my ENT found the problem and now on my way to getting better. What I'm trying to learn and doing research on is how people get this. Are we the lucky ones or what?...I totally feel for you and anyone else with this condition.

Old 03-22-2009, 04:01 AM   #6
(female)

Aryana70 HB User

well, now when I swallow it hurts, and the tickling is really bothering me, not sure if I have another cold or throat infection. I had exactly the same thing happening to me 3 weeks ago, and took some antibiotics and it went away, now it is back after 3 weeks and I am scared, the voice is hoarse too.
I have to say that acid reflux has given me some degree of health anxiety and I am now worried as why is the sore throat back, I did notice some green phlegm from my sinus today.
My last ENT appointment was in August.
Is it possible to get a cold or sore throat back after 3 weeks. I hate searching the net because it can become really scary.

Old 03-22-2009, 04:43 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

CharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB User

I got up at 5 am this morn to keep from waking my husband (which, didn't work). I started coughing so bad, but he says I do this all night long! I didn't think I did. We worked in yard a lot yesterday so was bending and lifting a lot. Mine is so bad that it's getting to where if I start moving at all starts up a choking, coughing fit. I stopped watching my diet because it seemed anything would cause this. Even water! After 10 years of switching back and forth on meds they don't work. I started back on Nexium twice a day and seem worse. Take all kinds of allergy meds just in case. I'm about crazy with all this and drive everyone crazy around me. This has been going on about 10 yrs for me. Please do try all the suggestions, diet, and try different meds before you become worse. Hopefully, you will have better luck than me.

CharBerry

Old 03-22-2009, 08:15 AM   #8
(female)

Aryana70 HB User

Hi Charberry,

I am so sorry that you have been suffering for such a long time, I have to say I don't think diet makes much difference. I am just very scared now.
Just a question does your throat hurt when you swallow your saliva? and also does it feel very dry?

Old 03-22-2009, 08:38 AM   #9
(female)

Rita27 HB User

Yes, I have this all the time. It feels like cotton is stuck in there. It is worse if you have allergies or a cold. I found that brushing my tongue and gargling helps a bit.

I am on Prevacid because Nexium made me too constipated. I also have gastric stomach ulcers and a slew of other problems, arthritis, back pain, etc. so I get very frustrated with having GERD too. It's miserable.

Old 03-22-2009, 03:49 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

CharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB User

Sometimes I have to much mucus I feel like I'm going to choke then other times my throat will be so dry it burns. In the beginning, I had very bad sore throat and felt like it was shut but you know, I haven't had like an ordinary sore throat in years. Maybe because the surface or cells have changed? Right now, my worst symptom is the cough caused by the feeling of PND and sniffling all the time. What's ironic is that I feel better when I have something in my mouth or eating a meal but then right after I get that feeling in my throat and my sinus feels full. Chewing gum helps me a lot and I was told to keep the liquids coming. It's been really bad since losing my job with the stress and allergy season. Although, I can't tell any difference in being outside or inside. I don't think there is anything that will cure me and I only hope that everyone else gets better because this affects me both socially and professionally. I don't see how on earth I will ever be able to get a job the way I am now.

CharBerry

Old 03-23-2009, 06:48 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(male)

neddyflanders HB User

My reflux is back, worse then ever. I'm now also on 2 prescription prilosec. Will see how it goes. I am going to switch my HBP medicine in a couple weeks, if that doesn't work then I have run out of all ideas. If I can't figure it out nobody can.

Old 04-08-2009, 11:15 PM   #12
(female)

AlisaBeth HB User

Well my LPR is back worse than ever also!...I cough so hard it feels like my head is going to explode. I have these red spots all over my face and a broken vessle in my eye now from straining so hard when I cough. I throw up phlegm daily and cough up about a cup of this clear frothy phlegm each night since this came back on me full fledge. This has been back for a week now and I'm so tired of it. Just got done drinking some water and baking soda..hoping I'll get a little relief from this stinging in my throat from the acid...And the really weird thing is...I've never had heartburn????...The acid just goes straight up to my throat and it's driving me insane!!!!!

Old 04-09-2009, 09:11 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

When you cough, is it a wet cough? Do you finally get "something" up? I've had such coughing spells I thought I was going to pass out. They are horrible but usually when this happens I do get some type of thick matter out. It will just shoot out at times!

CharBerry

Old 04-09-2009, 10:26 PM   #14
(female)

AlisaBeth HB User

Yes..that is how I cough!..Cough and Cough until this thick bubbly wet frothy phlegm comes shooting out. It's so embarrassing. The longest I can go without a coughing fit is 50 minutes. I swear, it feels like my head is going to explode when I have to cough so hard.

Char...are you any better now? What meds are you taking?...I've been coughing like this since November. Got some relief for about 2 to 3 weeks and now it's back worse than ever. I'm on Singulair, Prevacid and Patanase nasal spray. I don't work...but if I did there is not way I could hold a job like this. I don't even want to go to the grocery store afraid I'll have a coughing fit...Gagging, peeing myself and throwing up...that's all I do all day long. Will there ever be a light at the end of the tunnel???? I go back to my ENT April 24th...we'll see what he suggest I do next.

Also, what is the feeling you get in your throat that makes you have to cough? I at first had a hard time describing it..I would just say it felt like dirt...Now I can say it feels like a giant mosquito biting me in my throat. I'm sure that's the acid burning my throat. It's not way down my throat..It's just right there where I could probably put my finger on the area.

What I would like to know is why is there so much mucus?...Where does it come from? I have a cup by my bed and I bet I cough up 1/4 cup of this sticky glue like frothy phlegm every night...not counting the times I have to run to the bathroom to throw up the phlegm. I'm 45 and this disease is really taking it's toll on me. I look like I've aged 10 years since this all started...

I would like to know "Why" we have this diesease. Ok, I am overweight...but the majority of America is and yet there is so little known about this disease???..I never even knew about it until my ent told me what I had. LPR...never heard of it!

I'm so glad there is a place we can come to talk about this with people who know what it's like. It's frustrating when family and friends don't understand it. They want to give me over the counter cough suppresants etc...saying they will work. Been there done that ...nothing works.

Old 04-12-2010, 11:18 AM   #15
(female)

liberty23 HB User

i too have this dust feeling that feels like contracting my throat and end up choking and coughing. in two weeks time my cough was like getting better from dry to productive cough using Robertusin chest control DM. but then third week it worsened back to dry cough and wouldnt go at all. It gets worse in night with my head positioned little upward with two pillows propped underneath.
that dust comes mostly in the night and sometimes in the day time.
i keep taking strepsils (anti bacterial throat lozanges during day time only) to keep the cough at least controlled for couple of hours. but in the night feels like this causes the dust feeling even worse and cough all night.
hope some one can address my issue too and suggest some natural remedies. i dont have health insurance and cannot afford to go see doctors.
thanks

Closed Thread