It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-26-2009, 07:36 AM   #1
(female)

Forensicmom HB User
Anyone use Melatonin?

I was reading that Melatonin can help with GERD symptoms. My son takes this at night to help him sleep b/c his ADHD makes it hard for him to settle down. It works great and it was recommended by our pediatrician, which made me feel better about giving it to him.

But I'm just wondering since he takes it to make him go to sleep, if I take it for my reflux, won't it make me sleepy too? I'm already tired, I can't fall asleep during the day.

How much do you take?

Old 03-29-2009, 02:22 PM   #2
(female)

Kellir HB User
Re: Anyone use Melatonin?

Ive never heard of melatonin helping with GERD, thats really interesting. I take it at night and it really does help me sleep, dont know if its helped my GERD though. Never heard of people taking it during the day.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-29-2009, 02:24 PM   #3
(female)

Kellir HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forensicmom View Post
But I'm just wondering since he takes it to make him go to sleep, if I take it for my reflux, won't it make me sleepy too? I'm already tired, I can't fall asleep during the day.

How much do you take?
I think melatonin will only work if you are already tired and trying to go to sleep.
I take 5mg.

Old 03-30-2009, 01:42 PM   #4
(female)

Forensicmom HB User

I was talking about for the reflux. I am planning to start taking 1 pill at bedtime to see if it works for me. I don't need it to help me sleep. I'm fortunate to NOT have problems with that.

I "googled" melatonin for GERD and came up with a lot of information.

Old 04-16-2009, 09:41 PM   #5
(female)

drakenhall HB User

Hi - I've been taking 6mg melatonin and 500 mg L-tryptophan for about 4 months now and I'm rid of my GERD almost 100%. Occasionally my forearm stings a little, but that's from the nerve pathways being triggered when air comes up in the esophagus. All I can say is that it's working for me. I'm 52 years old, 5'7 and 117 lbs, so not exactly overweight, but still have a 1cm eccentric hiatal hernia. Last year all hell broke loose - I started burping uncontrollably and getting the worst heartburn. They also found ulcers in the terminal ileum, typical of Crohn's disease, but I don't have Crohn's, so no one knows where those came from.

I decided to forego conventional therapy and cure myself naturally. So far it's working. Having 2 things at the same time - GERD and the ulcers - was a little daunting at first, but I'm doing so well it's almost all gone. Of course I don't drink alcohol but for 1 glass of wine per month. I don't eat fried foods anyway, never any red meat, no refined flour products, lots of soy products and take 3tbsp of ground flax seeds in my soygurt every morning. In addition, I drink 1 bottle of Bio-K every morning. Superexpensive but it's got the equivalent bacteria of 100 small yogurt containers in one bottle. In addition, I take aloe vera AMP (aloe mucopoly saccharides) pills, 9/day, also superexpensive but still cheaper than having weird surgeries or going on steroids for the ulcers, which seems so dangerous. Lots of fresh vegetables, fruits, no fast food, no sugar, no caffeine, plenty of chamomile tea, and I'm fine.

The thing is, I was eating pretty much like this before the GERD and the ulcers, which were brought on by co-working with someone very toxic for about a year. I was extremely stressed out; now that person is gone from my life and I feel better just from that. But the melatonin, 6mg/nightly, time release, has definitely helped. I was on Prevacid for about 30 days and just said no after that. Too many long-term side effects, plus you really need your stomach acid - it's there for a reason. Without it, your stomach just becomes one garbage disposal for all the food that gets pushed down. My gastrodoc is totally amazed - of course HE wanted to put me on steroids, operations and lots of invasive measures. But I said no, got a copy of the Pereira article from the Journal of Pineal Research and basically followed the protocol. There are lots of other things you're supposed to take, which have been found not to be too important. The melatonin is what does it - that, and the tryptophan. I also take lots of vitamins and minerals, but I did that before, so it has nothing to do with it. The only thing is that Pereira states that all symptoms went away in 40 days - not with me they didn't. It took 90 days, thank you. But away they went, and the reflux rebound went away too. My girlfriend, 55, not so lucky - her gastroenterologist husband put her on PPIs many years ago. Now she's trying to quit and she's got the worst rebound imaginable. I actually went cold turkey, but some people advise to get on the melatonin and slowly wean yourself off PPIs. I didn't, because 30 days is not such a long time to be on PPIs. I was on Prevacid and antibiotics several years ago for a few weeks for H pylori, but I didn't have nearly the reflux I developed in December of 2008.

So now I'm back to my usual, happy self. I eat smaller portions and chew my food better, but believe me, I really think the melatonin is what's doing the job. Plus I sleep very nicely, which is a side benefit.

Hope it will work for you too!

Old 04-18-2009, 12:37 PM   #6
(female)

Forensicmom HB User

Thanks for the positive story. I tried it for about 2 nights and then stopped b/c I honestly forgot. I starterd drinking aloe vera juice at bedtime, which is supposed to be taken on an empty stomach, so I didn't take anything before that.

I am feeling much better the past week or so. The dr and I think I found out what was making me so sick. I was literally told to avoid eating fatty, spicy or acidic foods, no wheat, no dairy, no sugar and a few other things. I was so afraid to eat anything that I didn't realize how little I was eating. I started charting my foods on a website I found and realized that I was only averaging 1100-1200 calories a day and only 1/4 the amount of recommended fiber. No wonder I have dropped to 104lbs. My dr recommended that I start eating more protein and get the added fiber. I think it's working b/c I'm starting to feel better (although I can still the reflux, it's much better). I'm also not on medicine as I refused to take a prescription that wasn't working in the first place.

Old 04-23-2009, 10:06 AM   #7
(female)

alexis760 HB User

I just read on-line that you have to talk to your doctor first to make sure it won't mess with your other meds.

Old 02-02-2010, 11:27 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

rosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB User

I am currently weaning myself off PPI's and having a real hard time dealing with the acid rebound. I am on Zantac to help with the discomfort but now hear the acid rebound can last for several weeks.

I have, out of desperation, started to take the 6 mg of Melatonin at night. This is my third night and will report if I feel any different. I am also taking aloe vera juice (one or two teaspoons here and there to help with the irritated esophagus. Would love to hear if anyone has tried the Melatonin and any other remedies to ease with the transition.

The apple cider vinegar does not work and I have to be very careful with Ginger too. They can be very irritating to me. But the Melatonin sounds very intriguing and relatively low risk.

Old 03-12-2011, 12:54 AM   #9
(male)

sherazdesign HB User

rosebloom did you try Melatonin? Did it help? I am planing to starting it from tomorrow and in next month or so go off my PPI, which I have been taking for last five years. I will also post here what ever my experience might be.. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Old 03-13-2011, 07:26 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

rosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherazdesign View Post
rosebloom did you try Melatonin? Did it help? I am planing to starting it from tomorrow and in next month or so go off my PPI, which I have been taking for last five years. I will also post here what ever my experience might be.. Keeping my fingers crossed.
I do use Melatonin, along with many other remedies. I don't know that it is the Melatonin that has helped me, but a combination of different things.

Reducing the amount of carbs I consume daily has probably helped more than anything else. Also cutting out coffee, alcohol and other irritating substances.

I have tried almost everything from Melatonin to Apple Cider Vinegar and I think what has helped me most in the end is cutting the carbs.

If you are coming off PPI's after five years, it will likely take months before your stomach goes back to baseline. I think it took me well over five or six months before things went back to semi, semi normal or a tolerable state.

I still use an H2blocker like Zantac as needed if I am having a rough day.

Good luck to you and keep us posted.

Rose

Closed Thread