It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-26-2009, 10:34 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(male)

neddyflanders HB User
Getting Endoscopy next week

Trying not to be stressed when I have to get a tube down the throat, worried about barretts etc. etc. Plus I don't like being knocked out. For over three years I've avoided getting this done, now it's D-Day (well next week). I'll let you know what they find next Wednesday.

Old 03-26-2009, 12:49 PM   #2
(female)

Forensicmom HB User
Re: Getting Endoscopy next week

Hang in there and good luck. I had the test 20 years ago and it was the worst experience of my life since they didn't put me all the way out. I was totally awake. I finally agreed to have another one back in February and the dr agreed to knockout me out. It was so simple and worth it. I just wanted to say that I know how stressful it can be thinking about it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-26-2009, 03:59 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

TEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB User

HI there! I had my first one done this past January. The worst part was the build up to having it done. That was what freaked me out. But if I can go through it so can you. I was sedated (which for me ended up being completely out of it) and I don't remember a thing. Luckily at this point there is no damage in there. It doesn't mean I don't suffer. I have it bad today because I had a mocha and chicken tortilla soup. It set it off and now my throat is full of gunk and feels tight.

You will do fine! And you will be so glad you went and had it done. BE brave!

Old 03-26-2009, 07:59 PM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User

I've had two Endoscopies and one Colonoscopy. Most recently one of each last fall. I had good experiences all three times. No pain or discomfort at all. If I hadn't know what they were doing, I never would have known about the tubes they stuck in me.

I'm one of the people who showed no damage during either procedure. On the flip side, other tests showed how extremely severe my reflux really was. It is amazing how much abuse a stomach and esophagus can take without becoming damaged.

Old 03-27-2009, 04:04 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

gcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB User

I had an endoscopy in December - the week before Christmas - without sedation, and it was a bit uncomfortable at first, but wasn't too bad after that (and I got to see everything on the monitor throughout the procedure which was kind of interesting).

The doctor knew I didn't want the sedation (because of a family event that evening) so he used a pediatric scope (which is only an option if he doesn't plan on taking a biopsy), and the whole thing took less than 5 minutes.

If you don't like being put under, you might ask if that's an option for your procedure.

Old 03-27-2009, 05:36 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

neddyflanders HB User

I tend to gag very easily, I'm going to be knocked out.

Old 03-27-2009, 12:58 PM   #7
(female)

Kellir HB User

Im finally getting this done too, next month. Maybe they can actually fix me. I dont know, we will see. I just hope I dont have barretts. Good luck Neddy!!

Old 03-31-2009, 10:17 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

neddyflanders HB User

Just got back from having my endoscopy. It wasn't that bad, the needle for the IV was the worse part for me. Anyway my esphogus is in good shape (which is good since I had reflux for over 3 years). Just said he see's mild reflux damage, nothing to worry about, so thats cool. He wants me to take my presciption prilosec before dinner and a strong H2 before bedtime. At least now I don't have to worry about anything bad.

Old 03-31-2009, 08:03 PM   #9
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User

I'm glad all turned out well for you.

Old 04-01-2009, 03:30 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

TEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB User

So glad to hear things turned out great Neddy! Most of the time they do! You can relax now. Happy News is great!

Old 04-09-2009, 08:37 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(male)

neddyflanders HB User

Just got results of the biopsy's taken, perfectly normal. No h.plyori no nothing. Was told minor inflammation and gastritis. Doctor said same results would probably show up on normal person without acid reflux. So what the hell? I mean I'm glad I'm ok but what the hell? So whats going on with sore throat every morning and waking up unable to breathe? In another month or two I'm suppose to be tested for sleep apnea. Will probably also be normal. Like that guy on 30 rock says "Thats crazyee"

Old 04-09-2009, 06:19 PM   #12
Facilitator
(female)

My Endoscopy came back good. All biopsies were negative. No H. Pilori, nothing. My pH testing was another story. It showed SEVERE reflux. I geuss I'm just thankful that there is no damage yet. I also had the refluxing reflected in the Barium testing I had.

Closed Thread