HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Acid Reflux / GERD (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/acid-reflux-gerd/)
-   -   So Many Meds: Please help me Choose (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/acid-reflux-gerd/682052-so-many-meds-please-help-me-choose.html)

NYCman 03-26-2009 08:49 PM

So Many Meds: Please help me Choose

Hello,

I am about to travel and I'm seeking what GERD med I should use. I did the Prilosec 14-day trial, but I feel it didn't work (I did have an undiagnosed H.Pylori going on at that time though). I have now supposedly cured the H. Pylori. What are my choices (and I may have to do an OTC though).

What differences have you noticed between Prilosec, Nexium, Zantac, etc.?

Also, I may have liver issues so whatever is easiest on the liver would be preferable.

Also, with the Prilosec, I felt like I had to take them each day or else the whole thing would fall through. I'd prefer maybe something I don't have to take everyday.

I appreciate any help.

gcsjr 03-27-2009 04:00 AM

Re: So Many Meds: Please help me Choose

[QUOTE]I did the Prilosec 14-day trial, but I feel it didn't work[/QUOTE]

14 days is really not enough time to have any significant impact on acid reflux. It typically takes 8-12 weeks to really see improvement, but you should probably see a doctor if you're going to take it for that long.

[QUOTE]What differences have you noticed between Prilosec, Nexium, Zantac, etc.?[/QUOTE]

Prilosec and Nexium are very similar chemically, but Nexium is much stronger (and is prescription-only and much more expensive). Both Nexium and Prilosec are Proton Pump Inhibitors, the most effective class of acid-reducing medications. Zantac is part of a different class of medications (H2 Receptor Agonists) that must be taken more frequently and is less effective at decreasing the reduction of stomach acid. If you have GERD, Zantac alone is probably not strong enough to help treat your reflux.

[QUOTE]I'd prefer maybe something I don't have to take everyday.[/QUOTE]

There is no such medication, you must take any medication every day in order to reverse the symptoms of GERD. Acid reflux causes irritation in the esophagus, and the first step in treatment is giving those irritated areas time to heal, which requires daily medication and takes time.

The medication alone will not cure GERD but will give your body time to heal. From there you have to make the necessary dietary and lifestyle changes to minimize the recurrence of acid reflux, including: limiting foods like coffee, peppermint, chocolate, alcohol, tomato-based sauces and other triggers that tend to cause reflux. Raising the head of your bed 4-6 inches to help keep acid from refluxing while you sleep. Eating smaller meals and eating meals at least 3 hours before going to bed. Losing weight (if necessary) and avoiding tight fitting clothing around your abdomen.

It's really important that you combine the medication with lifestyle changes and patience in order to successfully treat GERD.

NYCman 03-27-2009 08:14 AM

I have since been afraid to look for meds since I read a post at the top of this board about Magnesium. It says that things like Nexium actually end up making your symptoms worse, or they are not so good, because your body is supposed to make acid. What is your opinion on this?

gcsjr 03-27-2009 08:49 AM

[QUOTE=Trymester;3935269]I have since been afraid to look for meds since I read a post at the top of this board about Magnesium. It says that things like Nexium actually end up making your symptoms worse, or they are not so good, because your body is supposed to make acid. What is your opinion on this?[/QUOTE]

If you want to get past the GERD symptoms you have to give your body a chance to heal, which is what the medications are designed to do. You also have to make the appropriate lifestyle and dietary changes to address the underlying cause of reflux...the medications can be a problem for the people who take them without ever making any changes to their lifestyle but, if you use the medications appropriately, and do what it takes to get the acid under control by changing your lifestyle, you'll be fine.

Nexium and other medications don't make your symptoms worse but can cause a "rebound effect" when you stop taking them. It can usually be easily managed with things like Gaviscon and Zantac and tapering off of the medications, but the claims that the medications somehow mess up your system are simply not supported by any credible evidence.

johnny313 03-29-2009 09:27 PM

you really dont need any meds to cure this. the meds are actually doing more harm than good. I have had severe acid reflux and this actually worked....

I had heartburn for 10 years every single day. I did some research and I found the only thing that really worked for me was this....

first I had gotten a colonics done... your intestines need to be cleaned out if you want to digest your foods correctly. the intestines absorb nutrients and water. If your intestines arent cleaned out properly you cannot digest food fast so there is where acid reflux comes from.... food sits in your stomach and becomes rancid.

the thing you can actually star in the morning before colonics is get a gallon of distilled water, a bottle of cold pressed organic aloe vera juice, Braggs ( has to be Braggs ) natural apple cider vinegar, organic lemons and get 12/12 probiotics

empty about a half a cup or so of the water. add 1/4 cup of the aloe juice. 1/4 cup of the vinegar and squeeze the lemon and add to the water. Mix well and drink the entire gallon thruout the day. take the probiotics 30 minutes before any meal. this aids in the digestion of the food.
This will correct the problem and try to stay away from any sodas, sugars and caffine while you do this. take this as long as you have heartburn and it WILL dissappear in no time!
also, try to eat lightly steamed veggies ( greens ) and fruits as they have enzymes that will aid in digestion as well. DO NOT eat fruits and veggies together because they have different enzymes that will neutralize each other out and will NOT digest properly. eat them about an hour apart.

johnny313 03-29-2009 09:33 PM

Prilosec and nexium do not increase the levels of acid in your body! they actually do the opposite. the meds nutralize all of the acids in your body and forces you to make a TON of acid to digest the foods that are in your stomach. acid reflux doesnt mean you have too much acid in your stomach... it means you do NOT have enough acid to digest the foods. so when you take nexium and prilosec it wipes out the acid in the stomach so your body produses MORE. braggs apple cidar vinegar creates acid and the aloe coats your stomach. the lemons are naturally acidic but raise the PH in your body when eaten.

stophypertensio 03-30-2009 08:12 AM

Nexium is the best, tried Prilosec, only help for a couple of hours and then i got back on nexium ASAP