It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-29-2009, 11:04 AM   #1
Veteran
(male)

NYCman HB User
Who here has actually recovered from GERD?

Who has been able to make recovery from GERD completely (i.e....been able to get back to Indian food, Mexican food, etc.). Officially I've only had GERD in my life for 6 months now. I am 24 years old and weigh 150 lbs, 5'10 male. This all just came about so randomly. I was in Japan eating sushi and eating other risky food, but I had no problem with that. I was doing exercise 1 day and all of a sudden after the work-out my right-side started hating. I've been this way ever since.

Any success stories?

Old 03-31-2009, 09:13 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

danabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB User
Re: Who here has actually recovered from GERD?

I had HORRIBLE acid reflux for a couple of years and was on medication twice a day. Found out that the medication only numbed me for a short time and then the symptoms would come back. I had to go off all coffee, which I LOVE. Went on the Internet and found Digestinol tablets, which consist of a very strong aloe vera content. I can now drink coffee and am much better. I will warn you that it may seem expensive, but, in the long run, it will be worth the money. You do not have to start out with the schedule that the company recommends, if you don't want to. Good luck. It is all NATURAL.

Last edited by moderator2; 04-01-2009 at 01:46 PM. Reason: posted disallowed website(s) - please read the posting rules

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-31-2009, 09:27 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

Keep in mind that folks who recovered have probably left the board.

Old 04-01-2009, 05:33 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

neddyflanders HB User

A friend of mine who had the same exact symptoms as me has been acid reflux free for the past two years. He told me he exercised and also he's the type that never worries. I think the last one is the big acid reflux fixer.

Old 04-01-2009, 04:23 PM   #5
(female)

DMBF HB User

My family dr. told me that some people just need to allow their esophagus and the LES (sphincter) to heal and have a break from the acid. Then they can slowly wean off and maybe only need to take OTC drugs, or a stronger drug once a week.

Good point made by JaneWhite1---most people on this board are probably not here because they feel good. Rest assured, if I find something that cures me, I will never forget to MAKE A BIG ANNOUNCEMENT on this board! If not for the knowledge, then for the hope for others. I keep thinking, like other minor ailments I have had, that THIS TOO SHALL PASS. But who knows..........

Old 04-01-2009, 05:30 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

I should probably mention my husband had hideous heartburn for hours every day for a week, then he got better and it went away.

Old 04-02-2009, 05:27 AM   #7
(female)

Forensicmom HB User

I agree with Jane, that most probably aren't on this board if they've recovered.

I also know that not everyone has the same problems and not everyone heals the the same. It's like allergies, one method might work for one but you just need to find the method that works best for you.

My older sister was telling me the other day that she had acid reflux and was totally cured by taking Tagamet and a bland diet. Howver she suffered from minor heartburn for only a month. She can't understand why the medicines aren't working on me when I've suffered with this for years.

Old 04-02-2009, 06:49 PM   #8
(female)

DMBF HB User

Yes, and what one means by recovered can vary across people! I have a few friends who are on Nexium and can eat pretty well whatever they want---they are now symptom free! Are they cured??? No! But as well, they are not the ones checking out these boards. To me, cured means no medications and no heartburn. I yearn for those days again! I would even be happy with being on low dose medication and watching what I eat! But I am on high dose and still seem to have some sort of symptom every day, even with watching what I eat. I do know that I am so much better as a result of that! God only knows what shape I'd be in if I wasn't careful and didn't take my meds.

Old 04-07-2009, 02:27 PM   #9
Veteran
(male)

NYCman HB User

Hello DMBF,

I am a little confused by your last 2 posts in this thread. You said that your doctor has told you that one needs to give the LES time to heal, but also that you yearn for the days that you can be free of meds and heartburn.

Is your GERD bad enough that you are unable to simply give the LES time to heal? The reason I ask is because I'm very concerned about my situation. I am only 24 years old and have had a "mildly incompetent lower esophageal sphincter" for the last 6 months. I am thin, 5'10, 150 lbs. I can't imagine being like this for the rest of my life. If you can offer your opinion on my situation I would really appreciate it.

Closed Thread