It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-30-2009, 08:02 AM   #1
(male)

John123456 HB User
Acid reflux cure finally found

Dear sufferer,

I HAD incredible acid reflux, indigestion and all stomach problems associated with acid.

Traditionally nothing worked.

What has literally saved my life and many other friends of mine can be found in any health food store across North America.

Digestive Enzymes. There are many different brands you can buy from the regular strength to my personal favorite "Full Spectrum" digestives.

I have tried everything out there. Doctor prescriptions, Zantacs, tums (do nothing) and all other "remedies." (And I do NOT find that vinegar helps, actually hurts more!).

If you are fed up with pain and suffering, go to your health food store and try out digestive enzymes.

Regards,

John

Old 03-30-2009, 03:19 PM   #2
(male)

astranger HB User
Question Re: Acid reflux cure finally found

what about charcoal tablets as an indigestion remedy? I have found that there is some relief to be found. What say you?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-30-2009, 09:08 PM   #3
(female)

iris54 HB User
Re: Acid reflux cure finally found

I use digestive enzymes as well, and also probiotics in a tablet form, and also DGL liquorice. I have found this combination helps, and I feel ok most days.

I have read that charcoal helps some people but never tried it. You have to be careful with charcoal because it apparently stops your body from absorbing some nutrients. I read this online somewhere. It probably wouldn't hurt if you only took it once in a while, but not regularly.

Old 04-04-2009, 06:24 PM   #4
(female)

REFLUX2009 HB User

Now I use to take digestive enzymes. But I stopped taking them when I started using Achiphex and OTC medicine. So now I'm wondering if I could take the digestive enzymes with my medication?

Old 04-09-2009, 07:16 PM   #5
(female)

LL37 HB UserLL37 HB User

Are you talking about probiotics like in yogurt?
I have acid reflux from sleep aids, and I expect it to stop pretty quick now that i'm giving up the sleep aids, but if eating yogurt some over the next couple of days will help with it. I'll do it. I used to eat it often anyway.

Old 04-10-2009, 12:53 PM   #6
(female)

iris54 HB User

I take probiotics in a capusule form, as they are more potent than regular yoghurt (i.e. they have a lot more of the good bacteria). Though yogurt is very good too, and I often have that too in addition to the capsules. Some of the newer yogurts advertise they have lots of probiotics, but I don't believe they have the amounts that compare to the capsules.

Last edited by mod-anon; 04-10-2009 at 11:36 PM. Reason: Please use the Quick Reply button instead of Quote Reply.

Old 04-10-2009, 11:25 PM   #7
(female)

LL37 HB UserLL37 HB User
Question Re: Acid reflux cure finally found

I've taken pills like that too. But.....I guess my question was, "Are probiotics the same thing as digestive enzymes?"

Last edited by mod-anon; 04-10-2009 at 11:37 PM. Reason: Please use the Quick Reply button instead of Quote Reply.

Old 04-11-2009, 09:14 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

TEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB User

I think Probiotics and digestive enzymes are two separate things. I take both and they are two different products. Digestive enzymes are capsules and they are taken before a meal and help you to digest your food better. The probiotic pill I take at anytime. It is like what you find in yogurt and balances the flora in your stomach and intestines. Does that make sense? That is what I learned from the healthfood store owner. They both work real good for me. As long as I am remembering to take them.

Old 04-11-2009, 08:48 PM   #9
(female)

LL37 HB UserLL37 HB User

Thanks, I'm back on yogurt for the time being though.

Last edited by mod-anon; 04-11-2009 at 11:31 PM. Reason: Please use the Quick Reply button instead of Quote Reply.

Old 04-12-2009, 05:09 PM   #10
(female)

dewing HB User

I have suffered from acid reflux now for several years and i only take Ompeprazole most nights before i go to bed. It is a condition that i have got used to but it is very unpleasant and i do feel for other sufferers out there. I am 46 years of age, female and overweight and know that this conditon could improve in my case if i lost weight (easier said than done). I am open to other suggestions as to what might help me and will order some supplement probiotics capsules as i don't like yoghurt. Will give these a try and see if it helps things. Thanks for the tip.

Old 04-12-2009, 09:41 PM   #11
(female)

iris54 HB User

Re: tough to lose weight - I lost weight by cutting out white starchy stuff at night - usually have chicken (white meat only) and vegetables. - but I always have carbs for breakfast and lunch.

Re: Probiotics they are quite expensive - the cheapest ones and one that also has a lot of good bacteria I found is Jamieson brand. If anyone else has a brand of probiotics that are reasonably priced, please post.

Good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewing View Post
I have suffered from acid reflux now for several years and i only take Ompeprazole most nights before i go to bed. It is a condition that i have got used to but it is very unpleasant and i do feel for other sufferers out there. I am 46 years of age, female and overweight and know that this conditon could improve in my case if i lost weight (easier said than done). I am open to other suggestions as to what might help me and will order some supplement probiotics capsules as i don't like yoghurt. Will give these a try and see if it helps things. Thanks for the tip.

Old 04-13-2009, 01:11 PM   #12
Veteran
(male)

NYCman HB User

( removed )

I'm so confused with the number of posts on this front page that proclaim to be cures. There's a post at the top of this page that recommends taking Magnesium pills. I am doing that now. I can't really take so many different things simultaneously, because then my body will seek that same concoction constantly just so that I can function.

Last edited by moderator2; 04-13-2009 at 04:36 PM. Reason: inappropriate

Old 04-13-2009, 03:46 PM   #13
(male)

hsbateman HB User
Wink Re: Acid reflux cure finally found

I have sufferd with the same problem for over5 years before i found a cure,
have tried allsorts of medication but nothing worked then i was speaking to a polish man at my work and he suggested Honey,so i tried it and it actually works, i eat 2 table spoons in the morning and 2 again before i go to sleep and for 2 years i have had no problems

Old 04-14-2009, 07:40 AM   #14
(female)

mystic heart HB User

Trymester - When I first started reading the posts I also felt a little overwhelmed by 'cures'. I went to my local health food store and asked about the magnesium. Was told that is helpful with constipation but the enzymes actually help digest the food better. This has eliminated my heartburn and bloating. In researching further I've found trhat as we get older we sometimes make fewer enzymes on our own to digest our food. Also, certain food combinations can be more challenging for our bodies to digest, or certain foods altogether (beans). It's a complicated topic the more you get into it but, if heartburn and bloating are your issue - try some enzymes to see if they help. They won't hurt you if you don't need them.

Old 04-14-2009, 04:36 PM   #15
Veteran
(male)

NYCman HB User

Well, now honey has been added to the long list of potential cures as well. I've seen a couple of mentions of digestive enzymes. I can not really say that I have consipation. I do have heartburn though. Any specific enzymes you would recommend? (including brand name). I think you can not put anything specific on the message boards, but please feel fee to send me a Private Message.

Closed Thread