It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-06-2009, 02:12 PM   #1
(female)

8monthslater HB User
help!

I have been suffering with reflux for a while now and it just seems to be getting worse. The only thing that has helped is Nexium. I get breathing problems when I don't take it and sometimes when I do take it. Unfortunately I can't afford it. My insurance deductible is $5000 and it costs $321 a month. I cannot spend that money. I switched over to otc omeprazole which is the generic Prilosec. I have been taking 4 a day (2 in the am and 2 in the pm). I am very uncomfortable and don't know what to do. I just bought some aloe vera juice a couple of days ago, but so far cannot tell a difference. I am really afraid something terrible is going on inside my body. This all started within a couple of months after giving birth to my second child. I am wondering if pregnancy had something to do with it. I am a 40 yr old woman, 5'7" and weigh 145 lbs. This is the heaviest I have ever been. My normal weight before both pregnancies was right around 130. I wonder if I lost weight would that help the reflux. I don't even know what type of testing to do. I have seen a GI doctor, he is the one that prescribed the Nexium. Thanks for any help or suggestions.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-09-2009, 02:12 PM   #2
(female)

Aryana70 HB User
Re: help!

I am sorry that you are suffering. You should ask your Gasteroentrologist for an endoscpy. My problems started few months after giving birth as well, I have hiatus hernia and GERD. I was also infected with H-pylori bacteria. Ther is ablood test which can be done for that. There is also cure for the bacteria, combination of 2 types of antibiotics and PPI.
The worst thing for your condition is to stress so much. Stress can make it worst. You asked about weight, well I know they say that being overweight can cotribute to Reflux.
Try gaviscon advance it does help, and pleaseif possible try to see your doctor. Please don't be scared, I know how you feel, I am on 80mg of nexium and still suffer ona daily basis, but thankfully there is nothing bad happeing inside of me. If you read all the posts here you can see that there are loads of people with the same symptoms as yours, but nothing life threatening is the cause of it.
Hope you feel better.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-09-2009, 06:40 PM   #3
(female)

anita19 HB User

Hi 8 months later, i completely understand how you feel even though im 19 ,i have never been pregnant but i have all the same symptoms you may have. I dont think its a weight issue because i weigh 106 pounds and i get horrible throat pain and feel like i cant breathe well at times . i have been told to take prilosec but im scared of the side effects. I took aloe vera juice but it made my stomach hurt even more. im also getting a little bit desperate because nothing seems to make it better. Right now i am taking papaya pill enzymes daily and eating a lot of apples it has improved somewhat but somedays its pretty bad but its better than taking strong medicines i think ..i hope this helps and i wish you get better .

Old 04-10-2009, 04:37 PM   #4
(female)

aahinbda HB User

Hi 8monthslater,

As you know, I feel your pain. I don't think you're so overweight that it would really make much of a difference but I understand that too. I am 5'4 and 136 so considerably heavier than I should be. I often wonder if that is the reason I am so exhausted and have difficulty breathing. But honestly, my cousin-in-law is about 4'9 and I swear about 250 lbs and she has no issues. She's energetic and whatnot...So that makes me think that weight isn't that much of a factor. Granted, maybe she doesn't have stomach issues so none of this would be bothering her anyway but still, makes me wonder about weight issues.

I hope you find some relief soon. Keep us posted...

Closed Thread