It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-07-2009, 09:04 AM   #1
(female)

aahinbda HB User
Can't take this much more...

Hi everyone,

I've been dealing with these "issues" for a year and a half and I don't know how much more I can take. I'll give you the rundown and if you have any words of encouragement, advice, etc. I'll take it. Just knowing that someone else might feel what I feel would probably help loads.

So, it all started after having my daughter. I gained 60lbs during my pregnancy but took it all off within 2 months of giving birth. About that time, I started getting these feelings of palpitations, or flips at the top of my stomach. I at once thought it was my heart, went and got a halter monitor test which came back fine.

Since then, it has progressed to:
*incredibly weak feeling right at the top of my stomach, basically to the point where it's hard for me to lift my daughter, but I only really feel weak there
*feels like my heart is going to beat out of my chest and that it's racing
*shortness of breath
*chest pain, that travels up to my right side shoulder
*pain that radiates across my back on the left side over my ribcage
* it feels like I'm sucking in my stomach all the time, like you would to look skinnier, but I'm not. And that area right at the top of my stomach is where I feel that

My doctor has prescribed me Nexium which did nothing except make me feel worse. Then celexa for the depression this has caused, which made my hair fall out in clumps. So needless to say, I've stopped taking both of those. She has put me on Zantac now and something for anxiety. And I also have an appt. with a gastroenterologist.

Basically, I feel like the life is being sucked out of me and I barely have enough energy to get myself dressed, let alone look after a 2 year old. I get so depressed at the thought of what kind of mother I had hoped to be as opposed to what I've become because of this. I cry at the thought of not being as peppy and energetic as I once was. I want this for my daughter, I don't want her having to deal with a mother who is "sickly".

If anyone has felt these symptoms, please please let me know! I can't stand thinking I'm crazy or alone in this much longer.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-07-2009, 12:57 PM   #2
(female)

Forensicmom HB User
Re: Can't take this much more...

I'm sorry you're feeling so miserable but I honestly understand b/c I feel the same way quite often.

Hvae you had your iron levels checked lately? A lot of signs of anemia can cause the symptoms you're describing, as well as gallbladder problems. Don't let them talk you into feeling like it's all in your head either. They automatically assume that if you have kids, you're over stressed and can't handle things.

I'm struggling with some of the same symptoms, so if I find an answer, I'll let you know.

Old 04-07-2009, 01:51 PM   #3
(female)

8monthslater HB User

Me! I could have written your post. I actually was anemic with very low ferritin, but took iron tablets 3x a day and got my iron levels back up to normal. I know there is something wrong with me. I always feel like I have acid in my throat and am constantly clearing it. I get breathing problems too when I don't take Nexium. (See my "help!" post). I am really getting depressed because of this. I am taking 10 mg of Prozac and I think it helps some. I always feel really bad. My daughter is 2 also. I wonder if bending and lifting her 32 lb body all of the time makes things worse than they would be???

Old 04-08-2009, 09:25 AM   #4
(female)

aahinbda HB User

Thank you so much for your reply ladies! It helps just to know you're not alone.

Forensicmom, I actually am anemic and just started taking iron pills so hoping that will help increase my energy. I've had my gallbladder out back in 2001 so I know that isn't the issue at the present.

8monthslater, I really think having to pick up someone all the time does exacerbate the problem but it definitely didn't cause it as far as I'm concerned. I never payed much attention to myself coughing or clearing my throat but I actually do it *alot*, just another thing to add to the list. I think it sucks when doctors just assume its anxiety or depression and not a physical ailment. My doctor is trying to treat mostly the depression without understanding that I'm depressed because of the physical problem. It's like a vicious cycle that I can't get out of.

I hope you both feel better soon and we get this all sorted!

Cheers,
A

Old 04-08-2009, 10:57 AM   #5
(male)

fishertimm HB User

Ive had a lot of the same symptoms off and on for about 5 years now. I take Nexium once per day and for the most part it is a lot better. You should definatly see the gastro and think about having the endoscopy done. A lot of these symptoms can be from acid reflux especially the pain right above your stomach, possibly even a hiatal hernia right at that spot. The nexium or protonix (proton pump inhibitors) can take several weeks to work. It took almost a month to make any difference for me, but I am doing well most of the time now. There is a nerve called the vasovegal nerve (spelling?) which can cause heart palpatations from the stimulation of acid reflux. While is always a good idea to have your heart checked out like you did, palpatations caused by this nerve are, for the most part, harmless. Stress and worry can make this a lot worse, but its easier said then done, to not worry about it. That was my biggest hurdle for a very long time. Keep up with your doctors and give the medications some time to work. Each person seems to have a bit different symptoms and ways to treat, but it can be managed. Make sure and watch your diet also (no fatty, greasy foods ). Good luck and I hope you feel better soon.

Closed Thread