It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-08-2009, 07:59 AM   #1
(female)

Gijill91 HB User
Lightbulb More you take, more you need?

1. Do most of you feel that the more acid reducer you are prescribed/told to take by docs the more you need?

(I've made all changes, am not overweight, and have noticed in the past few months that the more acid reducer I take, the more and more I need--this is startling to me. I was fine with 1 zantac at a point--now I need 2 pepcid max, tums, rolaids, carafate, herbal concoction--and the latter doesn't seem to work anymore. I was dxd with "too much acid" in my stomach, GERD, and mild gastritis.)

2. Is there any medical truth (study) that shows the more acid reducer you take, then the more stomach acid your body creates? (I've heard this here and there but am not sure whether this has scientifically been proven. If so, it makes me think that it's entirely counterintuitive and nonsensical to prescribe acid reducers)

2. Anyone try coming off the medications for a week or so to see if their body heels itself in time? Please share.
Thanks.

Old 04-08-2009, 11:03 AM   #2
(male)

fishertimm HB User
Re: More you take, more you need?

I have been on Nexium for about 5 years now. Still only at 1/day and I hardly ever have problems anymore (as long as I don't eat something stupid or too soon before bed). I tried to stop taking once for a couple weeks and it went back to unbearable! I know they say these are suposed to be taken 8-12 weeks but I don't know anybody on them that hasn't been on for years. I have to make sure and watch it because I have Barrett's already, which so far has only meant a yearly endoscopy I suppose it doesn't hurt to try but be aware it could mean some pain for a few days.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-11-2009, 10:32 AM   #3
Veteran
(male)

NYCman HB User
Re: More you take, more you need?

Right now I'm taking Prilosec once a day, and my GI just prescribed Nexium. Now, from reading everything on here it seems to be like a 50/50 split with those saying I should take PPIs and those saying that they make your situation worse. Will taking Nexium for 1-2 months mess me up horribly when I go off of it?

I haven't gone to the pharmacy yet.

Closed Thread