It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-13-2009, 10:08 AM   #1
(female)

izabelle HB User
Question I Hope this is Acid Reflux because I'm scared....

I have all of the signs and symptoms of acid reflux. But, there is one thing that causes me the greatest amount of discomfort and that's swallowing. My throat isn't actually sore, it just feels very narrow. swallowing food feels tight and causes me to cough and send subtle pain with discomfort down my back and into my side. when I drink it can do the same things. Has anyone had this? It's actually quite worrying just because I feel like my throat is just going to close, or I will choke really badly one time.

Old 04-13-2009, 09:53 PM   #2
(female)

Em55 HB User
Re: I Hope this is Acid Reflux because I'm scared....

Hi izabelle, That could very well be from Acid Reflex. I know my throat feels really swollen quite often and i hate the feeling. I also have asthma so it is uncomfortable. You might have lpr also which i dont know much about. I would see a doctor to see what they think. I wouldnt be too scared about it but i would deffinately get a doctor to look.

Good luck

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-20-2009, 01:07 PM   #3
(female)

izabelle HB User

Thank-you for that It's amazing how something so simple can feel so complicated.

Old 04-25-2009, 07:00 PM   #4
(male)

crack97 HB User

GERD can irritate the esophagus so much that swallowing is difficult. Definitely go to a GI and get scoped to make sure it isn't anything more serious like Barret's or Eosinophilic Esophagitis.

Old 04-26-2009, 04:52 AM   #5
(female)

dragonfly57 HB User

I had the same symptoms and upon an endoscope, the doctor found I have esophilic esophagitis (EE). There are other things a GI doctor could find. Contact a GI doctor and see what he says and does.

Disabled
A lot of diagnoses
Only by the grace of God do I keep on going

Old 05-02-2009, 07:59 AM   #6
(female)

peggster HB User

I have LPR (not officially diagnosed as of yet altho the doctor mentioned it). My symptoms also include difficulty swallowing....very uncomfortable. My throat can get quite raw as well. I have no heartburn but do have indigestion, etc. at times. Recent endoscope showed mild gastritis & some changes (biopsy results not back yet). This is a miserable condition. I have not found the best relief yet, and like others my insurance won't pay on anything but Prilosec...which doesn't seem to be helping enough. It was explained to me that the throat tightens to prevent the reflux from coming up into the lungs. All of my symptoms come & go but once they come seem to take awhile to lighten up again. Hope you find relief.

Old 05-02-2009, 07:09 PM   #7
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User

Peggster,
It isn't a cure by any means, but have you tried also supplementing with Gaviscon? It is what my GI doc recommended. Also, for LPR it typically takes taking the PPI's twice a day to see any relief. That is the way it was with me. For years the twice a day regimine kept things under control. Until they all stopped working. If you do try adding the Gaviscon, stear clear of the Strawberry Smoothie. It is horrible. The Gaviscon foams when you chew it and helps create a bite of a barrier.

I'm not sure I follow your explaination of the throat tightening to keep the reflux from your lungs. The lungs are lower than the throat.

When you have reflux, it is because the lower esophageal sphincter has loosened and allowed the acid to come back up. It is what tightens to create a barrier between your stomach and esophagus. Some of the foods suggested for the anti-reflux diets are supposed to help the LES from loosening as much.

Old 05-03-2009, 05:59 PM   #8
(female)

peggster HB User

Mountainreader...thanks for your post.

I do use Gaviscon as well as Mylanta and DGL. Was told by doc to not use the aluminum Gaviscon...hard to find now that the "strawberry smoothie" has been DC'd. I hear the Canadian Gaviscon doesn't but I haven't gotten it yet. Was told to take 2 before bed but I use them sparingly until I can find the alum-free.

Per my GI I use Prilosec OTC 2 twice a day. Over the last month or so I was using 1-3, trying to use as little as possible (I don't want to become sensitive to the meds & be unable to use them). Even the 4 a day aren't keeping the reflux under complete control....GI's nurse said most patients don't do well on Prilosec but I'm giving it a try because the ins won't pay on the others.

I understand the anatomy & how the LES is weakended, allowing the acid to come up into the esophagus, throat, etc. With LPR, I've read that the upper sphincter is the problem rather than the lower. The lungs are part of the upper respiratory system as well. The GI's explanation of the throat tightening to protect acid from getting to the lungs I've read/heard before. In fact, my reflux is in my sinus/nasal cavities. Especially with LPR the acids can get into the lungs, which is serious, can cause or exacerbate asthma. I just read an interesting book "Sinus relief now", a NYC ENT, who basically tells the correlation between the sinus/GERD/asthma....you have to get them all under control....interesting book.

I'm beginning to think my symptoms are worse from filling my tummy too full of food more than by eating certain acidic foods. Seems just eating too much at one sitting (like dinner) aggravates it. I've been following the recommended GERD food list strictly & one day decided to make stuffed peppers (tomatoes, peppers) and had absolutely no problem! I had the endo & colonoscopy done recently & fasting (no food) but drinking the half-lytely to clean out my colon really aggravated my LPR...in fact, I'm still working to get it back to a more manageable level...5 days ago!

Thanks for your insight. I'd be interested in hearing about your experience with LPR. I am trying to find an ENT who specializes in it. Thanks for sharing.

Old 05-03-2009, 06:54 PM   #9
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User

My ENT does a 24 hr pH test using the probe above the UES just for the purpose of monitoring for LPR. I don't think it is all that common for many docs to use. I think it really is a matter of finding an ENT or GI doc who really do understand the LPR.

My asthma was out of control last year because the reflux was irritating my lungs so badly. What has been working no longer was. I have been on every PPI made. I've also done tons of the homeopathic things that are supposed to work. Even on the medications, my pH testing showed extreme results and the Barium Swallows showed that I has acid hitting my lungs. I finally went with the Nissen Fundoplication surgery last October. While I've not yet been able to go off of the PPI's and reflux diet, I have had my asthma under control since the surgery.

Old 05-04-2009, 05:46 AM   #10
(female)

dixy HB User
Lightbulb Re: I Hope this is Acid Reflux because I'm scared....

Hi

I suffer from this also and find it scary Dont know if this will help you but Im trying it at the mo. Im snacking on almonds just a few like 4 Think there is something in them so stop the acid reflux being soooooooo bad well is worth a try.nothing to lose.
dixy

Old 05-06-2009, 12:58 AM   #11
(female)

peggster HB User

MountainReader....

How often does your ENT do the PH probe & is it uncomfortable? I do get concerned about the PPI's not working...seems to happen alot, huh? And the homeopathics didn't help you either?

My assumption was that surgery would immediately take away the need for PPI's, diet, etc? How was the surgery for you otherwise and does the doc think in time you won't need the other TX's? At least it's helped your asthma. I was DX'd years ago with "mild" asthma but never really notice it other than shortness of breath (usually on exertion) occasionally....but I'm not sure it's really because of the asthma.

Good luck to you and thanks again for your posts

Old 05-06-2009, 09:37 PM   #12
Facilitator
(female)

The regular pH probe has a probe that goes up your nose and down through your esophagus to just above your lower esophageal sphincter. The probe is connected to a computer that your wear. You keep it in for 24 hours to monitor any reflux events. It can tell how frequently and the duration of any reflux events. In my area, it is usually done in connection with a Gastroenterologist. I've had two of these over the last 3 years. My first showed bad reflux. My second showed that my reflux was extremely severe. (That actually surprised me some because I felt really good on the day of the test.)

The pH probe my ENT does is for the LPR. It is a probe that is also inserted through the nose, but it just goes down to just above your upper esophageal sphincter. It is intended to measure reflux events that are hitting your throat.

I've also read about dual probes, but I haven't been to any docs who do those so I can't say much about them.

PPI's helped me from about 2002-2007. I have been on the double dose for around 3-4 years. It was last year that they stopped working. I was on every one made over the last year and none worked. In fact, the Nexium gave me some bad ongoing digestive issues (IBS). It was horrible for me and I'm feeling the side effects still about a year later.

Because treatment wasn't working and my breathing was so bad and couldn't get under control, I chose the Nissen Fundoplication. From my internet research, it appeared to be a fairly good option in my case with the breathing and coughing problems. From the moment I woke last October, my coughing was gone and my asthma has been more under control. I still have some environmental triggers though. I don't have reflux triggering things. I was very conservative about adding food back into my diet after the surgery so I think I had fewer problems than others who had the surgery and started back eating most anything right away. My surgery was a good success in my mind. I do have to make sure I take small bites and chew things well because I don't want to get food stuck above the surgical site. It is uncomfortable when food gets stuck. I also cannot gain weight above what I weighed during the surgery or the stitches could be pulled.

My surgeon told me I could go off of the PPI's and eat most anything after the surgery. Unfortunately I'm dealing with the IBS issues from my Nexium issues. My GI doc is worried about how my regular acid level would affect my other digestive issues. He is also concerned about possible break through because my reflux and acid levels were so incredibly high. I'm atypical in this case. Most people go off the meds, at least for the short term.

I had no idea of the asthma-reflux connection for years. I truly have environmental asthma and bad allergies. I thought they were all that was causing my chronic cough for years. I have a cough as my only asthma symptom. THe cough was my primary reflux symptom. It was difficult for me to tell what was triggering the chronic cough. It was my Pulmonologist who had me do a Modified Barium Swallow and Esophagram. It was those tests that verified my reflux was hitting my lungs.

I also developed a hiatal hernia during the last 3 years. I can't say that it made things worse. I think it was all the coughing that caused it in the first place. It was fixed as part of the surgery though.

Closed Thread