It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-13-2009, 11:35 AM   #1
(female)

shellbell1 HB User
silent reflux

Hi,
I am desperate for some advice. I was diagnosed with silent reflux about a year ago. I had several test including a scope and was put on prevacid. I have never had a problem with heartburn or indigestion. I had to have my esophagus dialated and was told to continue with the prevacid. My main problem with this condition is that I find it so difficult to eat. I do not have the sensation that something is stuck I just cant initiate a swallow when trying to eat. It is so scary, I will have food in my mouth and then try to swallow it and nothing happens or it goes halfway in my throat. This condition seemed to improve and I was able to eat again and then 6 months later it has returned. I am so frustrated and hungry!!! Can someone please give me some advice and share your experiences with silent reflux. I have asked others and no one seems to have this symptom. I am so tired of going to doctors and having numerous test and nothing seems to change. please help

Old 04-13-2009, 12:52 PM   #2
(female)

raqwest HB User
Re: silent reflux

Hi. I have what is called Laryngopharyngeal Reflux (LPR)..it is when the acid reflux is in your throat, not in your stomach. My only symptom, which I never thought was acid reflux was shortness of breath. I went through so many doctors and test (thought I had a heart problem, lung problem, etc...) before they figured it out. I have been on Nexium for over 3 years and it has helped a lot. But the symptom of your throat is a symptom of LPR also. Hope that helps. Ask your doctor and see if they can switch your medication if it is not helping.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-14-2009, 05:47 AM   #3
(female)

shellbell1 HB User

raqwest,
Thank you for your reply. As I mentioned I have not heard of anyone else having this problem with lpr. The throat swelling has been mentioned but I have not heard of anyone else being unable to initiate a swallow. It is comforting to know that this is also a symptom of lpr. Thank you for taking the time to respond, I feel much better knowing I am not crazy and not the only one who experiences this. I am going to my doctor today and ask him to up my prevacid to twice daily or switch me to another medication. I can't tolerate not eating for much longer. It is such a struggle and I am so hungry. The liquid protein drinks just do not fill you up for long. Thanks again.

Old 04-14-2009, 09:25 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

CharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB User

Like many of you, I never heard of LPR or no anyone else personally that has the problems I do. I don't have heartburn and never did. All of my symptoms are more of the upper resp type such as getting very SOB, cough, PND, voice changes and so forth. In the beginning, I had the feeling of something in my throat and not being able to swallow. It's an awful feeling. Tell your Dr. about this and he may prescribe some type of motility drug that will help. I had to take Reglan for this even though I didn't like it and it's known to have bad side effects. There should be something that will help you though. I lost 50 lbs when so sick but gained it all back no needless to say, I have no trouble eating now. I'm sure I would be better if I lost wt but since I was so sick being so skinny it's hard to relate feeling good with wt lose. I eat what I want since I can't tell much difference in it anyway but know there are things that make it worse at times. Bending and lifting will cause breathing problems for me. LPR is much harder to control than regular GERD, which I have the pleasure of having both. I promise that you will get better though and you are not crazy. Best of Luck.

CharBerry

Closed Thread