It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-22-2009, 06:04 AM   #1
(male)

gent1 HB User
Acid Reflux Diet

I have found research saying that the only behavioral things that really help control reflux are eating smaller meals and elevating your head at night.

The study stated drinking coffee, eating acidic fruit and spicy foods also do nothing to aggrevate the condition. I know people on this boards would say contrary!

It went on to say alcohol & carbonated beverages should be limited though.

Has anyone really had any success with certain diets, and rigorously stick to them? My reflux is really bothering lately and I'm open to try anything.

Has anyone had luck with natural supplements in fighting reflux? I would like to try something, but am unsure what people are having luck with.

Old 04-23-2009, 05:30 AM   #2
(female)

Forensicmom HB User
Re: Acid Reflux Diet

I had major problems after being told to stop eating dairy, wheat, acidic foods, caffeine, fatty foods and sugar. There was basically nothing left. I have lost 15lbs in the last few years and was shockingly underweight. My dr finally realized that NOT eating was causing some of my problems.

I'm not saying that that's your problem but I found that when your stomach gets empty, the stomach acids really tear up your stomach.

I also started drinking aloe vera juice, which is supposed to help heal the burns on the inside of your stomach. I am feeling a little better but I don't know if it's from trying to eat more or from the aloe vera juice. You're supposed to take it on an empty stomach and it's hard finding a time when my stomach is empty, other then first thing in the morning or last things at night and I tend to forget sometimes to take it.

The other thing I read was to take Melatonin. I haven't tried it but if you google it for reflux, you will find a lot of people swearing by it.

Sorry for the long reply. Good luck finding something that works for you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-14-2009, 10:00 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

TEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB User

I have also heard that having an empty stomach is not good because acids due flare up. And to keep just a little somthing every couple of hours in your stomach helps to keep the flare ups from getting bad.

So is the Aloe Vera Juice helping? I am thinking of trying some of this. I hope you are feeling better.

Old 06-14-2009, 02:20 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

Connie122516 HB User

Yes, my reflux is essentially cured when I stick to a no wheat, no gluten diet.

Wheat is not among the usual list of suspects, but it certainly made a difference for me.

As for natural supplements, there is something called Esopho-guard which I believe is sold only through Life Extension Foundation. (I've tried looking for it or something similar in vitamin/supplement stores without success). I believe it is made from orange peel extract, and it was quite helpful for me.

Old 06-15-2009, 06:26 AM   #5
(male)

thebruiser500 HB User

hey. i am beginning to think that gluten stuff is my problem too. beer gave me the worst heartburn of anything, that has wheat? but why would it be that any type of alcohol gave me heartburn, like wine or whiskey (though a lot less than beer)... if my problem were gluten?

Closed Thread