It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-25-2009, 06:33 PM   #1
Veteran
(male)

kevinla HB Userkevinla HB User
LPR question: Is that saliva or acid always in my throat?

...along with the stuff in my mouth.

I read somewhere it is saliva and that it is being generated to try and heal my throat.

Not sure that is true or not.

Old 05-01-2009, 12:07 PM   #2
Veteran
(male)

NYCman HB User
Re: LPR question: Is that saliva or acid always in my throat?

I would like to know the answer to this as well.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-01-2009, 07:40 PM   #3
(male)

blues1986 HB User

You should be able to taste if it is acid or saliva. I have noticed too that I have a lot of excess saliva since my gerd symptoms began to show.

Old 05-23-2009, 12:59 PM   #4
Veteran
(male)

NYCman HB User

Uppin'

Anyone have anything else to add to this from their experiences?

Old 05-24-2009, 03:00 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

CharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB User

Have been told and read same answers as you. It seems ironic that something that is supposed to help us (so much mucus), which drives me crazy, is happening to protect us. I was told "water brash" (mucus out of no where) is caused by certain fluids coming from your stomach (pepsin and others) mixing with saliva to reduce the acid effects and protect tissues. Sort of makes sense, right? On the other hand, I can get feelings of throat being so dry and burning from LPR? Very confusing and frustrating. After over 10 years of dealing with this, I have lost my sense of smell, hearing and dimished taste so not sure I'd know acid taste anymore or not. You'd think I wouldn't even eat but after losing 50 lbs when first becoming so ill and regaining, can't lose a lb. I really thought I was going to die.

CharBerry

The Following User Says Thank You to CharBerry For This Useful Post:
Sleepwalk (11-06-2011)
Old 05-27-2009, 08:36 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

TEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB User

This mucus is a sure fire way of telling you that you might be having silent reflux going on. You don't always feel the burning going on. But the mucus is coating your throat to protect you from the acid and bile that might be creeping back up. The mucus is annoying as heck! I have it right now. It make me feel like I have to keep swallowing and clearing my throat. But it makes me feel like my chest is tightening up. I don't think I am imagining it.

Do any of you get that feeling too?

Old 05-28-2009, 03:52 PM   #7
Veteran
(male)

NYCman HB User

I get that feeling too. Have you been to an Ear, Nose and Throat doctor, and if so, what diagnosis have you received? In general, have you been diagnosed w/ GERD, LPR, or both?

Old 05-28-2009, 08:42 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

CharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB User

Same here with same symptoms and feelings. I have been to countless ENT Spec and all say LPR. Diagnosed with GERD to but LPR seems much harder to control. Although....I have been waking in night with bad heartburn.

CharBerry

Old 05-30-2009, 05:02 PM   #9
(male)

c2000 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEdds83 View Post
This mucus is a sure fire way of telling you that you might be having silent reflux going on. You don't always feel the burning going on. But the mucus is coating your throat to protect you from the acid and bile that might be creeping back up. The mucus is annoying as heck! I have it right now. It make me feel like I have to keep swallowing and clearing my throat. But it makes me feel like my chest is tightening up. I don't think I am imagining it.

Do any of you get that feeling too?
I get the same thing,,sometimes it wakes me up with a dry cough,,I then get out of bed and sit and then the mucus starts to loosen and I am able to hack it up..When it is bad it takes an hour or more before I can go back to bed.
I was taking previcid 30mg and still getting it.. Sometimes I would get it 5 nights in a row and then go a couple of days and then another stretch..

Now listen up as I have maybe stumbled onto something........
Because I was still having major problems even though taking the Previcid, I decided to buy a bottle of Foaming antacid tabs..
Here is what I started to do,,after eating wait approx 1/2 to 1hr and take four of these tablets, The original name for these was Gaviscon,, I just buy generic ones at the pharmacy.. After you chew these up I drink a half to a full bottle of charged water... Then at bedtime I take three more and chew them up while lying in bed watching TV. Since doing this I have had mostly no problem and I sleep all night,,sometimes it wakes me up around 5:30am but I just have to clear my throat and spit it out.. Now, I am a notorious late eater and I don't watch what I eat so I really put this method to the test.. If I had been eating at 6pm instead of 9pm I would probably be doing better. Now for the good part after taking Previcid for 4 years I quit and am doing real good just taking the foaming pills,, I think the charged water makes the foam thicker or something or it expands the foam.. I know this sounds stupid but just before shutting the lights out in the kitchen and going to bed I also get a bottle of olives out of the fridge and take a spoon and dig out three small olives and a little olive juice and eat them..
I was not going to list this exercise as part of the regimen but thought I had better because it may be part of my success.
One last thing,, after I would eat, within a half hour I would already be clearing my throat,,after my tabs and charged water that stops immediately..

You may think I am nuts but I have been experimenting with trying to get this under control for years and this works the best of anything..
If you try this and it works be sure to let me know....

Jerry in Minnesota.

The Following User Says Thank You to c2000 For This Useful Post:
Sleepwalk (11-06-2011)
Old 05-31-2009, 12:05 AM   #10
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User

When my LPR/Gerd was at its worst, the regimine that was most helpful for me was taking Prevacid twice per day, before breakfast and dinner. I also supplemented with the Gaviscon as well. It never took my symptoms away, but did reduce them some. Chewing the 4 Gaviscon was never pleasant, but did help some. Drinking a lot of water is a must with them.

Be careful taking too much Gaviscon. It can cause diarrhea as well.

Closed Thread