It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-01-2009, 12:36 AM   #1
(female)

nessie01 HB User
how long until the new ppi starts to work?

hi
i have been on losec which works great for me and the government has decided to no longer fund it and i have been given a generic...........I started it yesterday and am having stomach issues today so i figure its not workign effectively yet. anyone find this and how long to take to working effectivley

ness

Old 05-01-2009, 04:41 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User
Re: how long till new ppi take to work after swaping

Hi Ness,

When I was trying out all the PPI's last summer to try to find one to work, my GI doc told me to give it a full month. He wanted me to really give my body time to adapt to it. Personally, I knew within a week if it was working for me or not.

I hope your body is able to adjust. I know it took you a long time to find something that worked well.

Take Care,
MountainReader

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-02-2009, 02:41 PM   #3
(female)

nessie01 HB User
Re: how long till new ppi take to work after swaping

thanks MR
yes losec has fixed my lpr and stomach stuff by 95% and the ohter 5% will prob go with time as well.........im hoping this generec will work to as its has the main ingrediant the same the active operazole stuff just the filllers i think may be different anyway will give it the rest of the week but i feel this real acidic feeeling that i had before i started ppi yonks ok..........so its not blocking the acid as well yet.......
how are you? has the operation helped your lpr?
ness

Old 05-02-2009, 03:57 PM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User
Re: how long until the new ppi starts to work?

Ness,
Give it a bit longer and hope for the best. If it doesn't get better. Give your doctors office a call to discuss your options.

Yes. The surgery has helped my LPR. I haven't had any of my reflux coughing from the moment I woke up after the surgery last October. I'm still on the twice a day dose of Prevacid though and will be switching to Kapidex with my next refill. Kapidex has the same active ingredient but is in a delayed release form so I should be able to just take it once a day. My GI doc won't let me go off of them because of the other digestive issues I developed as a result of being on Nexium last June. He thinks the acid would make my other issues worse. It is now officially classified as IBS. I'm trying to get it under control. Having some good days with that now though so I hope I'm on the right track.

I know it was extreme, but for me the surgery was a good choice. I went all winter without any asthma attacks or other reflex related breathing problems.

Best wishes,
MR

Last edited by MountainReader; 05-02-2009 at 03:58 PM.

Old 05-02-2009, 11:36 PM   #5
(female)

nessie01 HB User
Re: how long until the new ppi starts to work?

thanks MR
so glad your lpr is better and operation sounds like it was well worth it....so thats fab.......i hope your ibs improves to..

anyway will check in a couple of weeks..will no by then how new ppi is going

take care
ness

Closed Thread