It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-04-2009, 06:01 AM   #1
(female)

Forensicmom HB User
What do you drink?

I know we're not supposed to drink coffee, alcohol, sodas or anything caffeinated. Even some doctors say to say away from dairy. What is left besides water? When my stomach is feeling really bad (which is almost every day) water makes me feel worse. Ginger ale is the only thing that works sometimes but it's carbonated, which they say makes things worse.

So what are we supposed to drink?

Old 05-04-2009, 07:27 AM   #2
(female)

Aryana70 HB User
Re: What do you drink?

I know exactly what you mean, like this afternoon I really felt like I need a drink and fancied a cup of tea or coffee so much, but since I had one cup of coffee this morning, I had no idea what to drink.
Like you water doesn't help me. I know I am not supposed to drink coffee but I have 1 every morning. We have to live a little as well?!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-04-2009, 02:18 PM   #3
(female)

Forensicmom HB User

You're absolutely right about that.

I also drink 1 cup of coffee in the morning. I started using the Folger's Simply Smooth which is supposed to be easier on the stomach but I'm not sure if it even matters.

Old 05-04-2009, 06:21 PM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User

I have mostly lived on water and soy milk for several years now. There are a couple flavor pour-ins that I've been able to tolerate to give some additional flavor. Most leave a bad aftertaste though. On that end, the Special-K water pour-ins with protein and fiber have been the best most recently. Occasionally I do white grape or white cranberry juice. Don't do alot of juice though because of the high calories and all the sugar.

Gets tedious. I really get cravings for other things sometimes. Some decaf iced tea might be my "splurge" occassionally this summer.

Old 05-04-2009, 11:15 PM   #5
(female)

Zoe26 HB User

Yes, I'd like to know as well. I don't even know if I have acid reflux for sure, but since I'm assuming that's what my issue is, I'm staying away from all these drinks for months now. I'm so sick of water. I don't even have 1 cup of decaf coffee cause I'm scared. What the heck is there to drink!??!

I wanted to switch to soy milk instead of Lactaid which I'm sticking to for now, but then someone else told me soy is bad for acid reflux! Is this true?

Seriously, there's nothing to drink.

Old 05-05-2009, 07:30 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

TEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB User

I think we need to invent something ladies! A new drink that is so healthy and great for acid reflux. Start brainstorming!

I too usually drink only water to keep the acid reflux under control. I have seriously hurt myself by cheating for a few weeks since my symptoms had subsided I thought I was kind of cured.So I slipped back into my old routine. I had been doing mocha's and some coke. Big mistake!!

Last night I had a large glass of Coke with ice. I just couldn't take it anymore. It sounded so good. I just went ahead and did it. It was even at 11 pm. Another big mistake. I dosed off about 12:30 and then by 3 am was up wish horrible pains in my stomach, burning and gunk coming back up my throat and then a couple hours worth of diarrhea this morning. I finally got my weak stomach settled down and am sipping on water. Still in bed at 9:30 am. I have menstrual cramps with my period right now too. Not sure if this all plays into it. I am very angry at myself and completely wiped out. When will I learn my lesson??

So what do we do? Water just gets old doesn't it? I mean I am glad we have it but there has got to be something else flavorful for us.

Last edited by TEdds83; 05-05-2009 at 07:32 AM.

Old 05-05-2009, 11:38 AM   #7
(female)

mocha1061 HB User

Has anyone ever tried Crystal Light? My son has been drinking some of that and so far he has been fine. Other than that he drinks only water. No dairy, or soda, or coffee, nothing but water.

Old 05-05-2009, 08:11 PM   #8
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User

I'm not crazy about the aftertaste of the Crystal Light. That is probably an individual thing.

Soy isn't a problem for me, it is for some people though. I like the kind with extra fiber in it. It is hard to eat high fiber with the diet restrictions I'm on.

I had the Nissen Fundoplication last October. I'm basically off all carbonation unless I want to suffer from horrible gas bloat because it is physically impossible for the air to come back up after I swallow. It is really tempting to "cheat" when I have those cravings, but I know I will end up paying for it. I did try a small icee a few weeks ago. It was small and I didn't have any problems, but I worried I was pushing it.

I'm limited right now from eating raw fruits and veggies, but at one time I was able to do some summer smoothies. Fruit, soy milk, ice. A meal and a drink at the same time. Most people do well with the bananas in the drinks. Bananas upset my reflux though. I used to do OK with some berries.

I have lots of friends who like the almond milk. If you don't want to try soy, that may be a good option.

Old 05-06-2009, 06:16 AM   #9
(female)

mocha1061 HB User

Yes, actually almond milk isn't bad. My 15 year old son is very picky, and since he can't drink regular milk, he does drink almond milk, which his stomach handles just fine. Now for him to say it tastes good, that's a amazing!

Old 05-06-2009, 10:50 AM   #10
(female)

Zoe26 HB User

From your guys' experience, which is easier on your reflux between regular skim milk, lactaid skim, or soymilk skim?

So we haven't come up with anything...we can only drink water? Are any juices safe?

Last edited by Zoe26; 05-06-2009 at 10:51 AM.

Old 05-17-2009, 03:43 AM   #11
(female)

Camembert HB User

I have great faith in peppermint tea . Even though peppermint's supposed to be bad for us, I find it actually helps.

Last edited by Camembert; 05-18-2009 at 01:48 AM.

Old 05-17-2009, 04:24 AM   #12
(female)

Casey2 HB User

You could try 100% pomegranate juice. I have just been drinking it for a few days after reading a lot about how good it is for several conditions including acid reflux. It is expensive but may be worth it if it helps. It tastes ok but takes getting used to.

Closed Thread