It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-04-2009, 08:16 AM   #1
(female)

Aryana70 HB User
Could iron supplements worsen acid reflux

My symptoms started getting really bad over the past 4 weeks specially the last 2 weeks even on 80mg of nexium, and I also started taking iron supplements 2 weeks ago.
Just wondering could iron supplements make my reflux and stomach burning worst?

Old 05-04-2009, 09:21 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

CharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB User
Re: Could iron supplements worsen acid reflux

I also had to take Iron Supplements for awhile and noticed having heart burn and other symptoms that I don't normally have.

CharBerry

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-04-2009, 09:59 AM   #3
(female)

Aryana70 HB User

Charberry, Thanks for your reply. I am so desperate to find out why I am getting so bad.
I have been getting stomach pains like burning and stabbing pains for the past 4 weeks, but the last 2 specially have been very bad.
I had an endsocopy in January and that was fine, and I am on 80mg nexium.
One can't help getting really scared, specially when meds don't work and symptoms worsen, you tend to fear the worst.
So was hoping in a way that perhaps it is the iron tablets that are making the matters worst.

Old 05-04-2009, 02:16 PM   #4
(female)

Forensicmom HB User

I definately think that iron supplements can make things worse, especially depending on which kind you're on. I started taking chelated iron in January after blood tests showed levels were very low. My dr said that ferris sulfate was the most popular one that people take, however it's the hardest one on your stomach. Next is Ferris Gluconate, which I had a hard time finding. That's when the herbal store gave me the chelated kind. It didn't mess my stomach up too bad. I since ran out and bought the ferris gluconate. I have noticed a difference since I started taking it. My stomach hurts almost every single day now and I'm much more nauseated.

I'm trying to hold out until next month when I get my bloodwork done. I'm hoping to go off of the iron but I seriously doubt I"ll be able to.

Old 05-12-2009, 02:34 PM   #5
(female)

lifesbetter HB User

I definitely believe iron supplements worsen acid reflux ... their hard on the whole digestive process. I stopped taking them; and instead researched the net on how to obtain iron from whole-foods.

I determined that a sea vegetable called "hijiki" was one of the best sources for iron and that the body absorbs the iron more naturally.

I have a great recipe ... but, I'm a "newbie" and not sure if I can post it; or if anyone would care to know?

Old 05-17-2009, 03:19 AM   #6
(female)

Aryana70 HB User

I stopped the supplements and God did it help!!! My GI said though we need to get your iron levels us, so he said the quickest was is by IV drip for couple of hours is the quickest way to up it?!!!

Closed Thread