It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-04-2009, 09:43 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

CharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB User
LPR affecting Your Job?

As many know, I may have to look for new job after 25 yrs with same company. I'm so afraid that I will have a hard time finding a job to begin with and much more afraid of keeping it with my LPR symptoms that never go away. The constant sniffling, coughing, choking thing is so bad some days that it drives me crazy so know it will anyone else. I was lucky enough to work alone before our company shut down. For those that work and have daily symptoms, how do you cope. It's not going to help that my voice goes for weeks and months at a time. Any advice? I'm getting worse just from the stress of thinking about all of this! Help.

CharBerry

Old 05-04-2009, 07:31 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User
Re: LPR Effecting Your Job?

CharBerry,
I don't have any good answers for you. I have had years of the chronic coughing/ hacking, sniffling, etc... I was miserable and I know I made the people around me miserable having to listen to it. In addition to the LPR/GERD, I have asthma, allergies and sinus problems. That has just compounded the coughing as well.

As you know, I've gotten things pretty much under control right now. As I talk to people, they have said I wasn't making them miserable, but rather that they felt bad for me.

From talking to you over time, you seem like a really bright and self-confident person. You should let that work for you as you go out to interview. Make sure you are confident in selling yourself. You know you best. You obviously did something right to be able to work for one company for 25 years. Not many people can say that anymore. De-stressing is easier said than done. You already know that is something you have to find a way to work with though.

Are you looking for a job where you have to talk alot?

My mom has had an undiagnosed voice problem for 10-12 years. She has vocal tremors. It always seems to be worse when she gets nervous or stressed. It also always sounds worse to her than it does the rest of us. I've learned from my personal experience with the reflux, that often, I felt like I sounded worse than I generally did. Granted, it is obvious if you have totally lost your voice, but when it is "milder" at times, it is worse for you than those around you.

As for the daily coughing, I don't have any good answers for you. I know some days were a lot worse than others. Sometimes I was a bit better if I didn't move a lot. Not many days like that though. Even cough suppressents and narcotic cough meds didn't help with the LPR when I was worn out from the coughing. All they did was help me get some sleep occassionally. Didn't use them much though.

I'm wishing you luck all around right now.

Mountain Reader

Last edited by MountainReader; 05-04-2009 at 08:07 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-04-2009, 07:39 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

CharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB User
Re: LPR Effecting Your Job?

Thanks for always being there for me.
CharBerry

Last edited by moderator2; 05-04-2009 at 07:53 PM. Reason: please read the FAQs to know how to use website features

Old 05-05-2009, 07:04 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

TEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB User
Re: LPR affecting Your Job?

Hi Charberry! I am so sorry you are suffering. You know you aren't alone. We are here with you too! I just know you will find something that works for you. God is good and He will see you through. You will find just the right thing. I know it! It is frustrating though. I was up throughout the night with the worst reflux I have had in months. Ugh! I should have never had that glass of Coke before bed. Big mistake huh? It just really messed me up. I am not sure if I am going to get anything done today. For me I also get an upset stomach and diarrhea. So it's hard to know if I should leave the house or not.

You will be ok. There will be just the right job for you. Just keep taking care of yourself. You are number 1 and your health. hugs!

Last edited by TEdds83; 05-05-2009 at 07:05 AM.

Old 05-05-2009, 05:29 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hope you're feeling better! Don't you hate those days that are totaly wasted and not a darn thing you can do about it except be miserable.

Char

Old 05-05-2009, 08:11 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

TEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB User

Yes, I really hate wasted days. I just can't stand it! Today was one of them. There was nothing I could do about it. It caused me alot of anxiety too.

Closed Thread