It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-07-2009, 09:22 PM   #1
(female)

Zoe26 HB User
Foods to eat/ Not to eat?

I know we're supposed to stay off spicy foods, fried foods, fatty foods, smoking, alcohol, citrus, tomato, caffeine, tea, and chocolate.

But besides that, is there anything you find is good to eat with acid reflux?

And specific foods that are bad to eat? Is sushi a no-no? Is cheese, dairy ok? Cereal? Is peanut butter ok? Potatoes? I don't know if these specific foods are good or bad for you.

Honestly, I don't even know what to eat anymore when I go out. I'm always stuck getting fish because I can't have pizza or pasta or sushi. Very boring.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-09-2009, 08:15 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

TEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB User
Re: Foods to eat/ Not to eat?

I am going through this to Zoe. And I pay the piper whenever I cheat and have things off the bad list. I awoke this morning with nausea, and gunk in my throat and I tasted the acid coming up into my throat. The last thing I ate last night was a little tiny piece of cheesecake. Apparently that was a no no.

I printed off a list off the net of what I can eat. You can go to google and research it. I find if I eat veggies like celery and carrots, lean meats, turkey and ham, things like that I can stay on track and really limit the reflux. The diet is not as fun as our pizza and chocolate but worth it to feel better.

I can go for awhile feeling great and now I have hit another bad spell. I also get IBS with mine. It's like my whole digestive track gets messed up all the way through. Very frustrating.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-12-2009, 08:45 PM   #3
(female)

ksc1968 HB Userksc1968 HB User

lean meats..turkey and chicken, no red meat, especially if marbeled. Rice, Potatoes (not mashed with butter and milk), sweet potatoes, veggies, fruits, all are fine for me except bananas or citrus fruits).
I make Turkey meatloaf, Turkey meatballs with pasta (why cant you eat pasta?), I eat absolutely no dairy whatsoever (but Im lactose intolerant), I eat minimal breads. I eat almonds and avacado every day. If I am craving carbs I have baked pita chips, no greasy potato chips. I make alot of homemade foods (I personally dont like chemicals in foods). There are really alot of things you can eat that are healthy and not likely to trigger acid reflux. Just really avoid Chocolate,.....thats a hard one for some people! And Soda, thats no good! Stick with water, its the safest and best option.

Eating out for Sushi is fine, Be careful with sauces at some Chinese Restaurants, and fatty white sauces like alfredo, etc. When out I order just a little olive oil and garlic on pasta.
THere is life after Gerd, it just is a little blander and requires willpower! And you know what...you just might live longer anyways by giving up fried foods, soda, etc....They are bad for you anyways!

Old 05-12-2009, 09:07 PM   #4
(female)

Zoe26 HB User

Bananas are bad? Does anyone else have this problem with bananas? I eat one every day! Uh oh...

Is dairy bad if you're not lactose intolerant? I have to have cereal in the morning and that requires some sort of milk. What's my best option?

Yogurt and ice creams are a no-no, as well?

Old 05-12-2009, 09:39 PM   #5
(female)

ksc1968 HB Userksc1968 HB User

If your eating a banana everyday already than your fine. Every one is different. For me, bananas have too much sugar and are hard on my system. With GERD you have to be careful to not write off a food so quickly...,look at an overall pattern. Sounds like your fine with bananas. I dont know about dairy, hopefully someone else will.
If you put a perfect diet , you can still get heartburn.... if your LES opens, if you have a hiatal hernia, you get reflux...diet helps avoid foods that relax the LES, We cant control everything, so just relax....stress doesnt help...

Closed Thread