It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-07-2009, 11:04 PM   #1
(female)

jobear30 HB User
Post Nissen Fundoplication Surgery

I had the Nissen Fundoplication surgery in July of 2008.I had a bad few months after that then the the last 3 months been dealing with food going right thru me.I went to to a GI Dr and he diagnosed me with severe IBS.Just wanted to know if anyone else experienced this after this surgery?

Old 05-08-2009, 06:06 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User
Re: Post Nissen Fundoplication Surgery

I had my Nissen last October. I was diagnosed with IBS a couple weeks later. My IBS had shown itself in the months previously though. In the months preceeding my surgery, I was on every PPI on the market. Within one day of starting the Nexium, I started in with the big "D". I still have some major intermittent nausea which I attribute to the Nissen, but the rest is just the IBS. It can be frustrating at times dealing with the symptoms.

My GI doc still has me on a double dose PPI and following my anti-reflux diet and lifestyle. I was doing it pre-surgery and he wouldn't give me permission to change after because he said my IBS symptoms would probably get worse. I think maybe my diet is keeping the IBS from getting worse.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-10-2009, 02:19 AM   #3
(female)

jobear30 HB User
Unhappy Re: Post Nissen Fundoplication Surgery

The doctor has put me on lotronex for the severe IBS and it is giving me terrible pain in my stomach and now I can't go to the bathroom at all!Not sure what to do!I hardly eat anything because I never feel hungry.When I do eat I get terrible pain.The GI dr I go to is not concerned which scares me!I am on a drug with dangerous side effects.I will probably find a new dr.

Old 05-10-2009, 05:05 PM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User

Since my Nissen, I've gone to the Alternating version of IBS. I take an antispasmotic for the pain. I'm on a high fiber, 35 g, diet. I have a prescription for Miralax and for Lomotel. They are to help me as I swing from C to D and back. I've had to up my use of the antispasmotic. I try to only use the others when I absolutely need them.

Old 05-10-2009, 09:46 PM   #5
Facilitator
(female)

I just read a study that said 14% of Nissen patients end up with diarrhea as a side effect post surgery.

Old 05-10-2009, 09:56 PM   #6
(female)

jobear30 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainReader View Post
I just read a study that said 14% of Nissen patients end up with diarrhea as a side effect post surgery.
I guess we are two of the lucky ones!

Closed Thread