It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-10-2009, 02:20 PM   #1
(male)

lpr guy HB User
Exclamation LPR story symptoms suggestions, anything appreciated!!!!!

Hello everyone im new to these forums and it looks like a good place to get info. Ill start at the very beginning of my symptoms. about August of last year a friend and I decided to drink a **** load of Vodka, long story short we drank a half of gallon of vodka between us and went to sleep. The next day i felt as normal as a person could feel after drinking that much, well later on that night I was outside smoking then came back into my house..i laid down to go to bed and boom something scary happened, the only way to describe the feeling is there was a faucet running in back left of my throat and felt like it was going into my lungs and making it hard to breathe....this continued for about 2 hours and was still going on when i went to sleep, i almost went to the ER it scared me so bad and was making me gag. The next day it felt a little better but i thought to myself WTH? Anyway it continued to happen only after i drank alcohol, and it struck when i was hungover but never as bad as that 1 night. Finally i went to the ENT and he diagnosed me with LPR put me on the PPIs but i just stopped taking them. I hate taking meds that arent supposed to be in my body anyway. Does this episode sound like an LPR attack? Should i jump on the PPIs again, because lately it feels like i got alot of mucous and a dry throat for some reason? I have since stopped smoking for about a year and drinking has been severely limited kinda sucks being 20 years old and have this happen to me. Also is it likely to develop barretts esophagus with LPR? Thank you and sorry for the long read, i just have to get it all out to someone.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-10-2009, 02:56 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

AnnD HB UserAnnD HB User
Re: LPR story symptoms suggestions, anything appreciated!!!!!

I realize you are not happy about this diagnosis but perhaps it will in the end keep you healthy since you say: "I hate taking meds that arent supposed to be in my body anyway" ...which really makes no sense since alcohol is a drug and so are the nasty ingredients in cigs...and those are certainly not suppose to be in your body either. So just maybe you will realize this is all a blessing and a very big sign for you to stay off of the booze and cigs. Good luck growing up and living a long and healthy life.

Old 05-10-2009, 03:50 PM   #3
(male)

lpr guy HB User

cmon guys 20 viewsand only 1 reply?

Old 05-11-2009, 01:26 PM   #4
(male)

lpr guy HB User

anyone???????

Old 05-11-2009, 03:26 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

TEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB User

Are you willing to watch what you put into your body?? Because your body is telling you something. It doesn't like what is going on. You most likely have that going on because of plenty of alcohol.. I don't know what your diet is, but you may have to take a look at your foods too. Reflux does cause Post nasal drip, a cough and asthma like symptoms. It can be scary if you don't know what is going on. The meds are there to help you out and get it under control but you will never get it whipped if you keep doing things that work against you. Everything in moderation is the key.

None of us know what you are eating and drinking etc...and only a doctor can diagnose you, we can't. Sorry. But we can make suggestions based on what you are telling us and personal experience. If you do have acid reflux try getting it control with your diet and limiting alcohol intake. Then you may be able to wean off the meds and just watch what you are doing. You are too young to have to worry about this health issue.

Wishing you the best!

Old 05-12-2009, 03:57 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

gcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB User

Unfortunately, alcohol is one of the primary triggers for LPR in many people. Once LPR flares up it can take quite a while to heal the irritated areas in your esophagus, and it doesn't take much to cause it to flare up again.

You should probably get back on the PPIs, modify your diet by at least limiting alcohol, and give your body a chance to heal (the mucus in the throat is a sign that your body is trying to heal the irritated areas).

Your risk of developing Barrett's is very low, so I wouldn't worry too much about that.

Old 05-20-2009, 03:05 AM   #7
(male)

lpr guy HB User

so the feeling that i was drowning in my own body could have been cause by an LPR attack? How does that happen though? Is the acid going into my lungs? could a person die from that?

Old 06-12-2009, 09:24 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

TEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB User

Well no one has answered that yet. I am curious too. It worry me, that is why I am on Prevacid for LPR. I am being careful with my diet and am praying my throat will straighten out. I hope that no one dies from this.

Old 06-13-2009, 11:41 AM   #9
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User

I've never read of anyone dying from reflux.

I will say that my reflux was triggering my asthma pretty badly. I know I'm in a small minority with reflux symptoms, but I had "silent" reflux with acid irritating my lungs and with a bit of acid aspiration. Mostly, the acid was triggering asthma attacks. In my case that meant tons of coughing and some breathing problems.

I had a few scary asthma attacks because of this so I can relate to your concerns. I will say that being aggressive about finding a treatment that would work for me has really saved me. I worked both with a good Pulmonologist and GI doc to find my way through this.

Old 06-18-2009, 01:29 AM   #10
(male)

lpr guy HB User

Well heres the thing, It felt as if fluid was running into my lungs, not the sensation that I couldnt breathe but it actually felt like liquid kept pooling in the back of my throat, drinking water or even breathing made it worse. That was almost a year ago and since then I have constantly cleared my throat and have had anxiety and panic attacks worried that it will come back. It is horrible. Another thing is I dont have health insurance and I just got surgery on my ankle that cost me 13,000 bucks so yeah im in a **** hole. My LPR has not really affected me that much besides the fact im constantly clearing my throat, I dunno if this is out of habit or because something is actually irritating my throat. The health officials need to quit trying to line there pockets with cash by treating this and just find a damn cure already. Im 20 years old and am going to college I cant affor all this crap....

Old 06-18-2009, 04:40 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(male)

gcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB User

Quote:
The health officials need to quit trying to line there pockets with cash by treating this and just find a damn cure already.
While that's a nice thought, LPR is primarily caused by an incompetent esophageal sphincter so it is the result of a physical defect that would require major surgery to "cure".

The sensation of fluid running into your lungs was probably the mucus your body creates in response to an LPR flare up. The mucus is actually part of your body's defense mechanism against the acid. It tries to protect the delicate tissues in the esophagus by secreting excess mucus to coat them (which also leads to the throat clearing).

Have you tried an over-the-counter PPI like Prilosec to see if it helps?

Old 06-18-2009, 09:54 PM   #12
(male)

lpr guy HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcsmithjr View Post
While that's a nice thought, LPR is primarily caused by an incompetent esophageal sphincter so it is the result of a physical defect that would require major surgery to "cure".

The sensation of fluid running into your lungs was probably the mucus your body creates in response to an LPR flare up. The mucus is actually part of your body's defense mechanism against the acid. It tries to protect the delicate tissues in the esophagus by secreting excess mucus to coat them (which also leads to the throat clearing).

Have you tried an over-the-counter PPI like Prilosec to see if it helps?
yes ive tried to no avail. Seems like it didnt do anything for my symptoms, i was still clearing my throat like I am now and actually seems like it made it worse.

Old 06-19-2009, 08:45 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

I just started Prevacid a week ago and have started feeling some relief now. I am wondering if you have tried that yet or not. I know it is a prescription and I think you mentioned that you don't have insurance. It is quite pricey but I think someone mentioned that the price will be coming down soon. Sometimes it takes trying some different ones out. Hang in there!

Old 11-08-2010, 11:13 AM   #14
(male)

Seeking Sunrise HB UserSeeking Sunrise HB UserSeeking Sunrise HB UserSeeking Sunrise HB UserSeeking Sunrise HB User

so did your symptoms ever get better LPR guy and others? What's the update, more than a year later? I just got this accursed disease..

Old 11-09-2010, 08:30 PM   #15
(male)

lpr guy HB User

Ive had some relief but Im still clearing my throat lol, Im on 30mg prevacid in the morning and I have esophagitis, I didnt know u could get esophagitis with lpr.

Closed Thread

Tags
laryngopharyngeal reflux (lpr)