It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-11-2009, 02:52 AM   #1
(female)

Camembert HB User
Acid reflux that isn't caused by any particular foods

Hello! I'm new here

So, I went to Tahiti six months ago and ever since then I have had what I think is acid reflux. Before traveling, it never happened.

It's a tingling unpleasant feeling in my chest and the bottom of my throat, and it mainly happens when I'm lying down to sleep-when I sit up it isn't so bad. Weirdly, it's mainly when I'm about to go to sleep that it happens. Which is annoying. Every now and then it will get VERY bad, along with a sore stomach. I never seem to vomit, though there's been some near misses.

I'm told it's caused by particular foods, but that doesn't happen with me-it's more of a cyclical thing, where it goes through bad and less-bad phases.

When I went to the doctor he said I had irritable bowel syndrome.

So does it sound like acid reflux is my problem?

If so what could help alleviate it?

And is it possible to get it as a result of travel?

Thanks so much for any ideas-it's much appreciated.

Last edited by Camembert; 05-11-2009 at 02:57 AM.

Old 05-13-2009, 03:03 PM   #2
Veteran
(male)

NYCman HB User
Re: Acid reflux that isn't caused by any particular foods

When you were in Tahiti, did you go swimming at all?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camembert View Post
Hello! I'm new here

So, I went to Tahiti six months ago and ever since then I have had what I think is acid reflux. Before traveling, it never happened.

It's a tingling unpleasant feeling in my chest and the bottom of my throat, and it mainly happens when I'm lying down to sleep-when I sit up it isn't so bad. Weirdly, it's mainly when I'm about to go to sleep that it happens. Which is annoying. Every now and then it will get VERY bad, along with a sore stomach. I never seem to vomit, though there's been some near misses.

I'm told it's caused by particular foods, but that doesn't happen with me-it's more of a cyclical thing, where it goes through bad and less-bad phases.

When I went to the doctor he said I had irritable bowel syndrome.

So does it sound like acid reflux is my problem?

If so what could help alleviate it?

And is it possible to get it as a result of travel?

Thanks so much for any ideas-it's much appreciated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-14-2009, 03:15 AM   #3
(female)

Camembert HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trymester View Post
When you were in Tahiti, did you go swimming at all?
Yes I did...what could that mean?

Thanks for answering!

Old 05-14-2009, 12:26 PM   #4
Veteran
(male)

NYCman HB User

I'm sorry if it sounds crazy. I'm actually just asking random questions in order to draw parallels to m own issues. I actually have been having problems for about 6 months. I can get acid reflux with no food at all some times. Other times food that is supposed to get me worse does nothing bad to me. I ate spicy Thai curry on Sunday and it didn't really have any negative effect on me.

The reason I Asked if you went swimming was because before my problems started I almost drowned in the Dominican Republic, and I was wondering if some of my issues existed because I took in too much water? I have never had any GERD issues before this time.

Old 05-15-2009, 12:58 AM   #5
(female)

Camembert HB User

That's like what happens to me! Once I ended up eating fast food 2 or 3 days in a row (I know, I know...) and there was no reflux any of those nights. I also don't seem to be affected by spicy food.

Did your trouble start after traveling?

Old 05-16-2009, 12:16 PM   #6
Veteran
(male)

NYCman HB User

I went to the Dominican Republic and I almost drowned. I then spent 2 weeks in the U.S. and then went to Japan. In Japan I started feeling sick, (but I had already been to Japan 3 times before that). I actually think I have an exercise-related injury (undiagnosed till this point), and that has brought about my other problems like Acid Reflux. I may have always had some low-lying acid reflux issues, but they never surfaced till my initial injury.

Closed Thread