It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-12-2009, 07:14 PM   #1
(female)

ksc1968 HB Userksc1968 HB User
Tired of natural cure claims...DONT WORK!!!!

Hi,
I have Gerd, a hiatal hernia, and recent endoscopy showed erosions in esophagus.
I am one of those people who does not eat junk food, soda, desert, sugary items, red meat, fatty food, fried foods,etc. I eat a very healthy organic diet. Im not overweight, I dont drink, I dont smoke, I exercise, and this Gerd wont go. Im so tired of websites saying "cure your acid reflux naturally with diet, etc" I tried ALL of it and it DID NOT WORK!!!! Apple Cider a complete Joke, I have erosions in my esophagus, so it just burned them even more. Tea, Honey, Aloe, Acid ease, Papaya, etc etc etc. The only thing that helps is a PPI... I dont like taking medicine but I take my Prevacid daily to help prevent Gerd. Recently after a upper endoscopy (pillcam) I was told I need to move it up to twice a day as I have erosions on just one pill, and I am happily doing it to further prevent my esophagus from future damage and barretts, etc.
I am so tired of people complaining about these drugs...They are absolutely saving people from potential harm and even potential cancer of the esophagus. I am a very natural person, I get acupuncture, see a TCM (traditional chinese medicine) for issues that arise, and even they say I need to be on the PPI!!!
I, have a hiatal hernia, so no matter what I do, acid can leak up. I really feel like people are so against the drug companies, which I can understand, but these drugs also do alot of good for some of us.
Anyone else out there feel like I do, that these medications are necessary for some people, and that there are so many people that perhaps dont know what it is really like to have that burning pain in your back, chest and neck so severe that it brings you to tears.
Any thoughts?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-13-2009, 05:52 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

neddyflanders HB User
Re: Tired of natural cure claims...DONT WORK!!!!

I have to agree with you, I've tried every natural product out there. THe only thing that stops my reflux is prescription prilosec and pepcid. But I do have to admit that stopping high stress really helps also, if you notice after a period of very high stress you reflux comes after you with a vengence. Exercise also seems to help but using these two with the PPI's are the only way I know on how to stop the reflux.

Old 05-13-2009, 01:49 PM   #3
(female)

Kassie29 HB User

I agree as well. I wish natural cures did work, but they haven't for me. I've tried the apple cider vinegar, the DGL licorice, the aloe vera. The aloe helps the throat problems temporarily but very short term. I need the PPI to keep things under control. I consider it necessary to manage my GERD. I don't want to not take anything, have severe acid every day, and end up with Barrett's esophagus, or worse. I know I feel worse when I don't take the PPI than when I do. I'm glad these drugs are available for those of us that need them.
Kassie

Old 05-13-2009, 03:28 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

CharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB User

I know it's frustrating but who knows....Maybe one of us will run upon something that will cure us! I think these boards are so great because we can throw all our problems and options out while hoping for the best.

CharBerry

Old 05-13-2009, 04:36 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

TEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB User

I think that natural cures may be more likely for people once they have it nearly cured or a real mild case of it. Who knows?? I just do a little bit of everything. But the thing that helps me the most is watching my diet. That is where I find the best control. I pay dearly when I spurge. Grrrrh!

Old 05-13-2009, 09:15 PM   #6
(female)

ksc1968 HB Userksc1968 HB User

Diet is a BIG factor....but what about once your diet is great....eating all the right things....and it still comes sometimes? For me it must be the Hiatal hernia part, allowing acid to seep back up into the esophagus.

Old 05-13-2009, 10:19 PM   #7
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User

If your lower esophageal sphincter doesn't function correctly, it can allow the acid and food to come back up regardless of what you do. Lifestyle changes and watching your diet can help with the severity of the acid and can help keep the LES from loosening quite as much.

After so many years of dealing with this, my belief in severe reflux is that there really is no cure. What we are trying to do is reduce the symptoms so it is more bearable. Some find "natural" things that work for them. Most often, acid reducing medications are found useful. What works for one certainly doesn't work for all. What works for a while doesn't always continue to work long term.

The only "cure" I found was in surgery. Even at that, I still have the severe acid, it just isn't coming up into my esophagus right now. That was an extreme solution though.

Reflux can certainly effect quality of life a lot though when it is bad. I think that is part of what leads us to try all kinds of things. Everyone is looking for the miracle cure.

Old 05-14-2009, 04:11 PM   #8
Veteran
(male)

kevinla HB Userkevinla HB User

How come some people have acid reflux for short periods? A relative of mine had it for three years and one day all of a sudden it went away.

Closed Thread