It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-18-2009, 03:49 PM   #1
(male)

RPicking HB User
Question Help: Reflux and Coughing

I posted before on the forum but it was in another part of this place and I really didn't get any response that I can remember so I hope this might help.

I found out that I have Acid Reflux...and I always seem to have mucus phlem whatever it is in my throat and I sometimes have to clear my throat constantly. When I'm coughing I feel a sensation around the "Adams Apple area" or somewhere close to that, that feels like scraping or bones popping. I know it might sound weird but I've been trying to search the internet for an answer and I can't find anything...I also feel like I'm alone in this and it's really starting to frustrate me because it doesn't feel normal and I don't know if I should waste my money and go to the doctor or what.

I don't have any major pain from this scraping sensation...it's just from all the coughing that I do...I also have OCD so I tend to get really obsessive when I cough and sometimes I cough to see what it feels like when I do cough and sometimes I get stuck in a bad coughing spell and it feels like I'm going to hack up a lung.

I would really appreciate to hear someone say..."It's normal"...but I guess I'm getting really worried that maybe something is wrong. Thanks for anything you can tell me

Old 05-19-2009, 04:28 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

gcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB User
Re: Help: Reflux and Coughing

What you describe is a common symptom of acid reflux that is technically called "globus pharyngeus" - basically a lump in the throat sensation. It's caused by the areas in your esophagus that are inflamed and irritated by the acid reflux (the throat clearing is also a common symptom).

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-19-2009, 07:45 AM   #3
(male)

greg1x HB User

Is it "normal" ? With significant reflux the cough is typical. It probably means you are "microaspirating". Researchers think micro-aspiration of gastric acid as a result of GERD may trigger an immune response that helps aggravate asthma . i.e. the coughing. I get this when my GERD is flaring up. How are you treating your GERD ?

Old 05-20-2009, 07:38 PM   #4
(male)

RPicking HB User

Quote:
How are you treating your GERD ?
First, For so many years I had a problem with swallowing food and after having an Endoscopy they found that my throat in one area was very small. I use to get food stuck and had to vomit it out of my throat. They saw that I had "Acid-Reflux" because I would have the heartburn and indegestion alot. They put me on medicine "Omeprazole" (sp?) and now after having my second Endoscopy I'm now on "Asephex" (sp?) but my insurance is arguing the point that they aren't going to pay for that now so I don't know what my Gastro... doctor is going to do.

I don't know if what you guys were saying was pointed towards the "Scraping feeling" that I was having in my throat, but I really liked that you kind of encouraged me that it was normal because earlier this week I was just getting so depressed that I would some day wake up and my throat would be broken from coughing. That's how it feels sometimes that the bone is going to break.

Anyways, that's what I'm doing about it. I'm actually going back for a checkup on 6/3.

Old 05-31-2009, 06:21 PM   #5
(male)

gizmo61151 HB User

your symptoms are similar to mine. i went to a ear nose and throat dr and he took one look at my throat and said i had acid reflux. i told him i didnt have that and he laughed and said i did. a few questions later (do you clear your throat a lot) i got the idea that maybe thats y i had those problems. i also told him that it felt like i was being choked at times, almost like a muscle spasm or sorts around my neck. im taking my meds and hopefully in time i wont be clearing my throat constantaly. embarassing bad breath was the first thing to stop after i started taking my meds. i dont have to have a mint in my mouth all the time

Old 06-01-2009, 07:48 AM   #6
(male)

RPicking HB User

I do clear my throat a lot when I get into a coughing spell I sometimes feel like I'm going hack out a lung. I asked my Gastro. doctor that did my endoscopy about the clicking feeling one time and he asked if it bothered me so I don't know if that meant it's "Normal" or what. It seems that everytime I tried to explain it that they weren't really concerned about it and it's something I have to live with. It doesn't happen all the time "when I cough or swallow" but it just feel weird when it happens. Also there is "no pain" when I do it.

Closed Thread