It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-23-2009, 01:38 PM   #1
(female)

kimber3 HB User
LPR and trouble swallowing

I was diagnosed with LPR. I have had it at least 4 years.
The other night I was out to eat in a restaurant and we got our food and after only 2 bites, I could not swallow. I couldn't even drink my tea. I started to panick. It was all I could do to even get home. I then took an anxiety medication, and within an hour I was ok. I couldn't hardly swallow saliva on the way home. I tried deep breathing so I could make it home. This has happened to me a few times a year. It never happens if I am eating alone. Has this happened to anyone else? I don't know if I start having throat spasms or what. I fear going out to eat now because of this. I never know when it is going to happen. I don't know if it is the Lpr or anxiety or both.

Old 05-23-2009, 02:48 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

CandP HB User
Re: LPR and trouble swallowing

Hi,

Just wanted to let you know I think we suffer the same thing. I actually don't think I have acid reflux or LPR. Although SOME foods cause such flare (pasta, sauses, etc) I tend to eat them constantly, but no such reaction due to acid reflux happens constantly after these foods. This is why I think it's purely anxiety.

For me, it all started after choking on a steak, about 4 years ago, and I was by myself. Since then, I have avoided eating a lot of tough foods, steaks being one, along with things similar to that like chicken, bread, even leaf lettuce. Things I had no trouble eating before, I do now due to my fear. I'm constantly dicing and shredding, eating beef patties and such. Eating out also promotes a phobia within me. The worst is that I think friends and my relatives have caught on, and I can't hide it any longer. They see me avoiding things and they ask questions.

What can I say, what I have been doing is exercises with my tongue, sticking it in, out, around, and so forth. However, if it is anxiety, I guess concentrate on throat/jaw tension release...open/close mouth that sort of thing. Now of course, this is to assume that you do not have acid reflux or any other medical issue. I, too, would welcome any other suggestions as well. Take care.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread