It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-26-2009, 04:26 AM   #1
(female)

IamNancy HB User
protonix and dreams!

I started taking Protonix (switched from Nexium) a few months back.. It seems to work as long as I don't eat certain foods.. however, I wake up all through the night with nightmares... I take the meds twice a day ..at breakfast and dinner.. but this side effect is driving me crazy.. anyone else have this side effect and anyone able to overcome it?

Old 05-26-2009, 06:46 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

sunshine12 HB Usersunshine12 HB Usersunshine12 HB Usersunshine12 HB User
Re: protonix and dreams!

I don't have nightmares but it did irritate my dry eyes more so i stopped taking it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-26-2009, 08:19 PM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User

I didn't have side effects with the Protonix, but Nexium was my horrible experience. I stoppoed the Nexium, but had lingering problems. I really think the PPI's affect different people in different ways.

Old 05-26-2009, 10:26 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

taape HB Usertaape HB User

I had horrible nightmares nightly and also vivid dreams. Your the first person I've met that also has this. My doctor didn't even recognize it as a side effect. I couldn't get much sleep while on Protonix. I've been off for 3 weeks this time around, and off for a year the other time. Besides changing medications I never found a solution to the problems with dreams.

Old 05-27-2009, 01:18 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

neddyflanders HB User

I use to have the horrible nightmares (vivid horror nightmares). Found out it was because I wasn't eating after 6PM to control my reflux. The PPI's I was taking was causing it, that and empty stomach. Now I eat up to around 9PM, stopped the nightmares.

Old 05-27-2009, 02:22 PM   #6
(female)

Helenitta HB User

You took pills so you stop seeing nightmares??? :O
I've been seeing HORRIBLE nightmares lately too!!!! Last was, yesterday evening and I can't keep off thinking about them till now!! It usually has to do with my mom.. saw her back all burnt like a wooden piece.. it's frustrating!!! and depressing!!!! but I don't think a medicine would help!? It's all cuz of depression I believe though she too has seen a nightmare yest. evening and again to do with death and all that..

Darn guys! Do you believe in nightmares? Why do some people don't see a thing? but we're (unluckily) blessed to have that ability to dream?

Old 05-28-2009, 07:00 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

neddyflanders HB User

All I was saying was taking my PPI on an empty stomach caused my nightmares. When I took them and ate afterwards, no more nightmares.

Old 06-01-2009, 04:13 AM   #8
(female)

IamNancy HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by neddyflanders View Post
All I was saying was taking my PPI on an empty stomach caused my nightmares. When I took them and ate afterwards, no more nightmares.
I think you are on to something with this.. I started to take my second dose after lunch instead of at dinner and while the nightmares/vivid dreams haven't totally stopped, they have lessened.. amazing!

Closed Thread