It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-26-2009, 11:59 AM   #1
(female)

Forensicmom HB User
I finally have relief from acid reflux

I haven't been on here in a month or so but I felt I needed to share my good experience with relief from acid reflux and IBS.

I was suffering severely with symptoms of nausea, chest pains and stomach pains on an off for years. They took my gallbladder out 2 years ago but that didn't solve the problem. I have also tried every prescription and OTC medicine available but found NO relief at all. Then I changed my diet but I got so paranoid about eating that I wound up losing so much weight (I'm only 102lbs at 5'3 after 4 kids). I've also been trying probiotics and digestive enzymes, which might have helped a little. My Gastrenterologist said that it might just be stress and I need to find a way to control it. That's easier said then done. A friend recommended acupuncture. I have been having it for 3 weeks now and am amazed at how good I feel. It's not 100% back to normal but I would say about 75% better. I have a lot of nervous energy, as the acupuncturist calls it. It is teaching me how to relax more, which means I'm enjoying things better and I'm not worry about what I eat so much.

I almost didn't write this b/c I didnt' want anyone to think I was trying to sell something but I wanted to pass along a positive experience.

The Following User Says Thank You to Forensicmom For This Useful Post:
mpestana (07-07-2012)
Old 05-26-2009, 08:16 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User
Re: I finally have relief from acid reflux

Were there any specific qualifications you looked for in seeking an Accupuncturist? I've considered trying this, but I'm not certain how to even seek out one who might specialize in this type of treatment.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-27-2009, 01:29 AM   #3
(female)

Camembert HB User

Yay, it's good that you're feeling so much better

I think stress is a big contributing factor-if you get a little bit, then you start stressing out and trying to keep it down, then it gets worse, so you stress out more. It's like a vicious circle.

Old 05-27-2009, 06:08 AM   #4
(female)

Forensicmom HB User

Yes, it can be a vicious cycle. I have a busy life (4 kids, ages 4, 8, 10, 14) but I didn't feel like I was stressed out about anything specific. I don't worry too much so I figured it wasn't stress causing my symptoms.

A good friend recommended the acupuncturist and I'm really please, however it's a 30 minute drive for me, so it's kind of time consuming. She is one of the teachers at only acupuncture school in my area.

I liked the way the acupuncturist put it. She said I have a lot of nervous energy and I have trouble relaxing. She was 100% right, I just never knew how to describe it before. My symptoms aren't 100% gone but they have improved so much that it's made a huge difference.

I guess I wanted to at least share a good experience since it seems like everyone on these boards are usually so miserable that they're looking for anything that will help them feel better. The boards are also a vicious cycle b/c they CAN (not always) make you feel like you have more wrong then you do. I figured that since I tried the meds and the diet changes with no relief, what could it hurt to at least try acupuncture.

Old 05-27-2009, 03:34 PM   #5
Veteran
(male)

NYCman HB User

Hello ForensicMom,

How long are your sessions? How many times a month do you visit the acupuncturist? Do you think that if you stop getting the treatments your body will revert back to the uncomfortable nature caused by Acid Reflux. Thank You for any info. you can provide.

Old 05-28-2009, 02:45 AM   #6
(female)

Camembert HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forensicmom View Post
I guess I wanted to at least share a good experience since it seems like everyone on these boards are usually so miserable that they're looking for anything that will help them feel better. The boards are also a vicious cycle b/c they CAN (not always) make you feel like you have more wrong then you do. I figured that since I tried the meds and the diet changes with no relief, what could it hurt to at least try acupuncture.

*nods* Yeah, I like hearing success stories. Otherwise the board becomes a sorrowful vortex of acidic despair . And it's always good to get ideas.

Old 05-28-2009, 04:58 AM   #7
(female)

Forensicmom HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trymester View Post
Hello ForensicMom,

How long are your sessions? How many times a month do you visit the acupuncturist? Do you think that if you stop getting the treatments your body will revert back to the uncomfortable nature caused by Acid Reflux. Thank You for any info. you can provide.
My sessions last about an hour and I'm going once a week, however after 3 sessions, I'm skipping next week due to my schedule. If that works out fine then I'll schedule them every other week. My kids only have 2 weeks of school left so babysitting is an issue for me, especially since it's a 30 minute drive to her office. Also, she was teaching me some relaxation techniques and told me to take at LEAST 5 minutes every day to just sit quietly by myself. That really works but it's hard to do sometimes.

Camembert - You're absolutely right about things getting depressing after awhile. It seems like everyone is so miserable. Sometimes it's good to stay away for awhile.

Old 05-31-2009, 06:14 PM   #8
(male)

gizmo61151 HB User

i would have never thought of actupuncture as a possible cure. might have to try that

Old 06-01-2009, 04:19 AM   #9
(female)

IamNancy HB User

Interesting... did you find the accupuncture treatment hurt or is it uncomfortable?

Old 06-01-2009, 06:00 PM   #10
Veteran
(male)

Red60 HB User

It's great to hear that you've found a trigger and a method to control it. Based from what I read on these boards stress and anxiety are triggers for a lot of people suffering from GERDS. If you have a way to fit it into you daily schedule tai-chi would be a great complement to your acupuncture theropy. You can find classes thru the park board, churches and YMCAs. There are some very simple styles like tai chi for arthritis that are very easy to learn and are great way to learn relaxation.

Old 06-09-2009, 07:44 PM   #11
(female)

tj707 HB User

I think that's a good idea. I have had acupuncture for other reasons, and it really made a big difference.

Old 06-10-2009, 09:09 PM   #12
(male)

champ07e HB User

I used to have acid reflux problems. I switched to a vegan diet to try to lower cholesterol. The cholesterol came down but three other things also happened: I lost 30 pounds. My snoring disappeared. And, I haven't had acid reflux problems.

Old 06-11-2009, 10:27 AM   #13
(female)

Forensicmom HB User

That's great Champ that you had such good luck with the Vegan diet. I can't afford to lose anymore weight since I'm already down to 102lbs.

I'm still happy to say that I'm feeling much much better. I even stopped taking the digestive enzymes (I ran out) and have been fine without them.

The acupuncture does not hurt. Some of the needles pinch a little but others I can't even feel them. It's a wierd feeling sometimes b/c I will feel like my whole body is tingling and then the sensations move from my head down to my feet.

Yes, stress and anxiety can cause a lot of damage, which is why after the medicines and diet changes didn't work, I went this route. I kept telling myself that I wasn't stressed out b/c I manage a lot of things and stay very well organized while taking care of my 4 kids. But my acupuncturist said I just have a lot of nervous energy and she's right. It's hard for me to just sit and relax. I tried yoga a few years ago and it was boring to me. I like lifting weights and aerobics much more.

The other thing I did was schedule a full physical with my general physician. That was earlier this week and he gave me a clean bill of health, except he did get on me about how much weight I've lost. I'm working on gaining some back.

Closed Thread