It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-28-2009, 06:07 AM   #1
(male)

sparkyireland HB User
Endoscopy Tomorrow (Oh the worry) :)

I am in tomorrow for an Endoscopy, so the worry is starting to kick in. I know this is nothing major but as a natural worrier I need some assurances

Tell me, are there any risks involved? And a question about anaesthesia, I have had a few operations including a recent sinus operation, and have had anaesthesia at the dentist etc etc. So would it be unlikely to have a reaction? I was also told that I will only be lightly knocked out for this, is that true? The Dr told me I will be asleep, should I tell him I want to stay awake?

I do worry for unselfish reasons lol, young family etc, so anytime I am ill or need some hospital treatment I worry like mad for them.

Anyway thanks

Old 05-28-2009, 06:56 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

neddyflanders HB User
Re: Endoscopy Tomorrow (Oh the worry) :)

I had it done 4 weeks ago. I'm the type of person who is afraid to even drive by a hospital. I can honestly say it was nothing. It was also a very nice sleep, not the kind of anethesa you get when you have an operation. I felt nothing, had a good sleep and then left. Also they found nothing.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-28-2009, 10:38 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

TEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB User

Hi Sparky! I understand your fears completely. I too was really afraid to have the endoscopy done. I had never had a procedure done. I had my endoscopy done a few months ago in January. I was worried about allergic reactions and being put under...or in a state of sleep. I was out like a light. I don't remember anything. They found nothing wrong with me at all. It really was painless. The worst thing about it was all the worrying I did beforehand. Try to put your trust in the Lord. He will be faithful to take care of you. If anything just know there are plenty of us who have done this and we came out ok.

I still suffer from acid reflux and have to manage mine through diet, supplements, and things like food enzymes and trying to reduce my stress level. That's all we can do. Expecially when they find nothing wrong with you.

Lifting up good thoughts and prayers for you! Let us know how you come out with things!

Last edited by TEdds83; 05-28-2009 at 10:39 AM.

Old 05-28-2009, 10:48 AM   #4
(female)

Kasot HB User

I had one a year ago, and I was in the same boat as the rest of you-worrying for days on end. Then I was talking with the doctor one minute and the next I turned my head and my friend who was driving me was sitting by the bed. No issues at all, no pain... just tired afterwards. Had something to eat and went to bed early. No issues at all.

Hopefully yours will be a "non-event"

Old 05-28-2009, 12:42 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

wakkochic17 HB User

hey sparky, everyone else has given good advice. Also, they don't give you "anesthesia", it's actually a sedative to put you into a deep sleep. I had a sore throat for about 24 hours afterwards, but it was mild. Procedure was easy.

Old 05-29-2009, 01:07 AM   #6
(male)

sparkyireland HB User

Thanks very much everyone for the replies. I go there in the next few hours, so I will let you know how it goes.

Thanks

Old 05-29-2009, 03:18 PM   #7
(male)

sparkyireland HB User

Hello hello im alive

I actually asked them could I be awake rather than the sedation they wanted to give me, from their look I would say that its not a common request

Apart from trying to swallow a rubber snake, all went well. Inflammation of the lower part of the oesophagus was the result, he took 2 biopsies (As the first one missed, great fun).

I have to go back for the results. Can they tell what is causing the inflammation by the biopsy?

Many thanks for all the replies

Old 05-29-2009, 03:51 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

TEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB User

I can't believe you stay awake for the procedure. How did you manage that? Was is hard to swallow the tube? I hope all went well. Let us know what you find out. Good luck! Glad the hard part is over.

Old 05-29-2009, 03:59 PM   #9
Inactive
(female)

writeleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB User

What a trooper! Gulp!

Both myself and my hubby had the "works" a few month's back...the upper and lower. While my endoscopy results were negative, my husbands life was changed by getting the proper diagnosis from his endoscopy. He now takes a little tiny pill everyday, and his lifelong digestive issues are gone.

I wish the same for you, darlin'

Old 06-07-2009, 03:51 PM   #10
(male)

sparkyireland HB User

Thanks for the replies, it wasnt fun the more I think about it, but really I have had worse

Still waiting on my biopsy results

With regards to what he seen, the Dr didnt say the words Esophagitis, I take it that inflammation of the Esophagus is Esophagitis?

Its so much easier to tell people you have Esophagitis rather than Esophagus inflammation.

Old 06-08-2009, 01:44 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

gigi11 HB Usergigi11 HB Usergigi11 HB User

I am having mine done soon and I am scared they will find something serious with all the pain, belching, bloating, and tightness in the stomach.

Old 06-11-2009, 12:38 PM   #12
(female)

lagarta HB User

Ditto, I'm having one done on Monday. I don't know what has me more worried, the idea of having something shoved down my throat, or the idea that they might find something seriously wrong....

Old 06-11-2009, 06:23 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lagarta View Post
Ditto, I'm having one done on Monday. I don't know what has me more worried, the idea of having something shoved down my throat, or the idea that they might find something seriously wrong....
Why are you having one? I hope everything goes well for you.

Old 06-12-2009, 05:49 AM   #14
(female)

lagarta HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigi11 View Post
Why are you having one? I hope everything goes well for you.
I've been having severe GERD-like symptoms for about 3 months now. Since my mom does have Barret's esophagus and a whole host of other digestive problems, they thought it best to check me out. You get to a certain age, and you inherit your parents' ailments, i guess....

Old 06-12-2009, 09:03 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

Now I got a second opinion and the gasterologist believes I have a stone stuck or leftover from my gallbladder surgery.

Closed Thread