It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-28-2009, 03:20 PM   #1
Veteran
(male)

NYCman HB User
LPR Diagnosis by Ear, nose, throat doc.

Thus far, my Gastro. has done me no wrong. Has given me numerous tests that my General Hospital would have made me wait at least 2 years to get done. Today I asked him about LPR though, and he didn't really have anything to say about it. He has diagnosed me with Minimal GERD. Could it be that he considers GERD and LPR the same thing?

Anyway, as a way to get a second opinion, would it be possible for an Ear, Nose, and Throat doctor to check for LPR? If so, how do they do it? My Gastro. already gave me an endoscopy. Is there a different method the other doctor could use?

Thanks for any replies.

Old 05-28-2009, 08:53 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

CharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB User
Re: LPR Diagnosis by Ear, nose, throat doc.

I've found that some gastro's don't believe acid can come up that far but it's becoming much more common now. Also, an endo that only shows minor GERD does not mean that you don't have LPR. Takes minute amt of acid to cause problems once it reaches your lungs. Find a good ENT spec who will scope your vocal cords by putting very thin plastic tube into your nose (I know. Sounds horrible but not bad at all) and view your vocal cords with a light. This test is one used to diagnose LPR. Or, the 24 hr ph probe with probe placed so that it records if acid comes up higher than esphogus. I'd go with the ENT spec.

CharBerry

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-28-2009, 08:56 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

CharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB User
Re: LPR Diagnosis by Ear, nose, throat doc.

Meant to add that although GERD and LPR are treated as same that they are not the same thing. You can have one or the other or be so lucky like me to have both.

CharBerry

Closed Thread