It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-21-2009, 05:33 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

bride527 HB User
How long on Prilisec?

I have been taking Prilesec (script) since Jan. After my endoscope found that I have Mild Reflux with some slight irratation to my esphogus she suggested I take it for 6 weeks. When I stopped i felt the "pain" return so I went back on the med. I am still taking it and feel great. Is it okay to take this daily for a while? Should I stop now and see how I feel? Thanks Bride527

Old 06-21-2009, 08:05 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

1sunny1 HB User1sunny1 HB User
Re: How long on Prilisec?

I have been taking it since 1993. I have tried to go off but the reflux returns. As along as it is helping and your doc refills the prescription, I would keep taking it. You and also take OTC prilosec.

Sunny

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-21-2009, 12:08 PM   #3
(male)

thatbrian HB User

I took it for over a year, but I didn't truly recover until I stopped taking it.

Not wanting to be on meds forever, I went on a strict reflux diet and even raised the head of my bed 8". Then I simply stopped the Prilosec. It hurt, don't get me wrong, but it was worth the pain. I am now reflux free after over a year of suffering (while on Prilosec and under a doctor's care).

Check out some of the dietary and lifestyle changes that are helpful for reflux and see if you can can get some improvement that way.

Good luck,

Brian

Old 06-21-2009, 07:26 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

Keep in mind, there can be some "rebound" symptoms when you stop drugs such as Prilosec. It usually goes away in a few days as your body adjusts to the absence of the medicine.

Old 06-23-2009, 09:14 AM   #5
Veteran
(male)

Beefsteak HB UserBeefsteak HB UserBeefsteak HB UserBeefsteak HB User

It's certainly okay to take PPIs long term. But this is not a simple question. I think many feel they can overcome their reflux problem and stop the drug. However in reality what's happening is that the lifestyle, stress, diet, genetic and other causes remain and by stopping the drug (prematurely) many ppl expose themselves to potentially serious damage. And they are doing that unknowingly. The facts are that reflux problems (and their consequences) have increased dramatically over recent years and more and more ppl are finding the need to remain on PPIs long term. No doubt greater obesity, trends in diets, stressed lifestyles, etc., are all contributing to this alarming increase. The drug Co's must be loving it!
One of the reasons driving ppl to come off these drugs is their high cost. But that's not a valid medical reason - and the consequences can be serious.
Beefsteak

Old 06-23-2009, 03:42 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

bride527 HB User

If I do decide to stop it, do i have to wean off or just stop completely and see how I feel.........Still undecided whether to stop it or not . thanks for the info all.
Bride527

Old 06-23-2009, 07:12 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

It would probably be best to wean off slowly, either by taking a pill every other day for a period of time, or by replacing it with something like Zantac.

Closed Thread