It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-28-2009, 02:17 PM   #1
(female)

apriljudy HB User
Acid reflux and diet

Someone told me to eat a raw apple three times a day, and have 8 oz of water with the apple. I started that a few days ago. I slice them and salt them. Today, I put a small dab of peanut butter on the apple slices. Yum! My 'yucky mucous' has diminished and is practically gone. Might be something in the apple, might be a coincidence. I guess time will tell. Can't imagine it would be so easy.

So I have quit taking Prilosec and Nexium after many months of non-satisfaction. I am also beginning a strict diet. I'm eliminating all citrus, most dairy, all fried foods (most of which I had eliminated a while ago anyway). I'm supposed to cut out coffee and tea, but I'll still drink decaf.

Here's the plan I will follow:

I will try to have 5 small 'meals' a day, or three meals and 3 apple snacks in between.

I can eat any of the following:
Fruit: apple, dried, or fresh. apple juice. Banana.
Veggies: backed sweet potato, white potato, carrots, peas, string beans, broccoli, cole slaw (only made with non-fat mayo)
Meat: I eat only fish, but you can have lean beef, chicken without skin- any non-fried or non-fatty meat.
Grains: Whole wheats, cereal: (no fat, but can have small amount of skim milk) oatmeal, rice; brown or white (not fried), baked pretzels. Nothing baked with shortening, like cookies, cake.
Dairy:skim milk, skim milk cheeses, goat cheese, fat free yogurt, fat free sour cream, no butter, no chocolate! (shucks).

Best to cut out all sodas, all alcohol, and all caffeinated drinks

The side affect will be losing weight, which also helps with reflux. I'd love to lose about 10 lbs.

I will stay off of the meds for a few weeks or more, and see what happens. Perhaps someone would try this diet and apple thing with me? I'm curious to see if the 3 raw apples a day will help someone else.

Judy

Last edited by apriljudy; 06-28-2009 at 02:18 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-29-2009, 04:12 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Canyondweller HB UserCanyondweller HB User
Re: Acid reflux and diet

I love apple and peanut butter but it doesn't agree with me. The apples are too acidic for me or I would join you. The diet sounds right on though. If you have been on the meds for a while they recommend that you wean yourself off to avoid "rebound syndrome"

Old 06-30-2009, 09:46 AM   #3
(female)

apriljudy HB User

Hi Canyon,
I am still following the diet, and eating the apples in between meals, Granny Smith and Macintosh. I get a bit of mucous at night, if I lie down to soon after eating, but other than that, I've been free of symptoms for 5 days.

I had quit taking the Prilosec at night, and for the following week, I only took the Nexium in the morning. I stopped the Nexium cold turkey 6 days ago. (Not exactly weaning!) I haven't been having rebound.

I'm thinking that it is a good idea, not to allow your stomach to get empty enough to feel very hungary. I think any spongey food, like the apple, might possibly absorbs the stomach acid and keep it from rising up the esophagus. Everyone is different, inside and out, so whereas apples agree with me, perhaps some other absorbing food, like bread, saltines, would agree with you.

Just a thought.

Maybe I'm just lucky. I still have my fingers crossed.

Judy

Old 06-30-2009, 02:35 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Canyondweller HB UserCanyondweller HB User

I am glad it is working for you. I know for people that have Irritable bowel sydrome apples are too acidic. I have heard both pro and con about keeping something in the stomach and both scenario's make sense. One says that the stomach will keep producing acid if there is food in it and therefore it is not good to keep something in it and the other is what you said. Who the heck knows. As you said it is different for everyone. I know I have very slow motility so I have gone back as of yesterday to Motilium which gets the food out of the stomach more quickly which cuts down on the acid production so I guess that would go with the first theory. I am glad it is working for you and glad you had no rebound because I know that can happen.

Closed Thread