It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-29-2009, 11:42 AM   #1
(male)

lpr guy HB User
Unhappy Help guys (horrible pooling sensation)!!!!!!!!!!

Well my LPR has been under control, anyway it hasnt been really bothering me at all because I usually eat what I want/drink what I want and dont take any meds. So the other night I took a chew of tobacco which I havent done in 3 months and ate some chocolate cake. I woke up with this horrible feeling I can only describe as a pooling of liquid sensation in the back left of my throat. Clearing it/ coughing only takes it away for a second then It was back. I suspect the chocolate and nicotine played a roll. This feeling used to only occur after drinking alcohol during a hangover, now it happend but not to a horrible extent while sober. Anyone get this dreadful feeling? Makes me wanna reach back there and scrape it. I took a zantac 150 and the feeling did not subside.

Oddly enough the only thing that seems to make it go away is SLEEP! Isnt that weird? Ill go to sleep with this feeling and wake up and it will be fine. Ive got an LPR diagnosis from and ENT but sometimes I wonder if its just in my head. Sorry for the long read, any tips, advice, or similar occurences you may have are greatly appreciated.

Old 06-29-2009, 12:48 PM   #2
(male)

noggin7717 HB User
Re: Help guys (horrible pooling sensation)!!!!!!!!!!

I would highly suggest raising the head of bed about 6-8 inches, so your body is laying at a slope/angle w/ your head at the top. I have 3-4 2x4s under the front feet of my bed.

Don't eat/drink/chew/dip/smoke before sleeping, I think the rule of thumb is none of the aforementioned 3 hrs before sleep.

As horrible as that feeling you described is, it is nothing compared to if you had aspirated the "fluid" into your lungs. The only thing I think I could compare the aspiration to is possibly drowning, not that I've ever drowned, but it's a terrifying feeling waking and not being able to breath, and when you do finally get a breath, it's feels like pure acid spaying into your lungs.

It sounds like you're describing what happens right before the acid makes it up beyond your upper esophageal sphincter.

-Noggin

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-29-2009, 03:07 PM   #3
(male)

lpr guy HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by noggin7717 View Post
I would highly suggest raising the head of bed about 6-8 inches, so your body is laying at a slope/angle w/ your head at the top. I have 3-4 2x4s under the front feet of my bed.

Don't eat/drink/chew/dip/smoke before sleeping, I think the rule of thumb is none of the aforementioned 3 hrs before sleep.

As horrible as that feeling you described is, it is nothing compared to if you had aspirated the "fluid" into your lungs. The only thing I think I could compare the aspiration to is possibly drowning, not that I've ever drowned, but it's a terrifying feeling waking and not being able to breath, and when you do finally get a breath, it's feels like pure acid spaying into your lungs.

It sounds like you're describing what happens right before the acid makes it up beyond your upper esophageal sphincter.

-Noggin
Thanks for your reply, but when this first happened I believe it did go into my lungs because yes it literally felt like I was drowning. So when this happens what does a person do? Take a pepcid or something?

Old 06-30-2009, 09:25 AM   #4
(male)

noggin7717 HB User

This has happened to me a few times and the only advice I have for when it's actually happening is to not panic. Get the nasty taste out of your mouth with water. Any meds right after it happens isn't going to help much. The acid has already aspirated into the lungs. Which can be very dangerous, especially long term. Infections and scarring can occur in the lungs.

The best advice is prevention.

Old 05-03-2010, 04:04 PM   #5
(male)

karsa HB User

I totally understand what you are going through. I felt the same thing on occasion. What I don't get is that I can actually feel the liquid seep into my windpipe when that happens...but that isn't possible since, when that happens I'm not coughing or showing any form of gag reflex which means that its just dripping back into my esophagus. So I'm not quite sure whether I aspirated that sour liquid or whether it went back to where it was supposed to. When I breath after that happens, i feel this cold/minty sensation when I breath.

I think its all due to stress. I got to stop worrying about stuff!!!

Closed Thread