It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-29-2009, 02:59 PM   #1
(female)

ksc1968 HB Userksc1968 HB User
considering changing ppi...not working as well

Hi,
going to my dr in a couple of days to discuss why prevacid doesnt seem to be working as well. I went from one pill a day to two and it seems worse...Im wondering if Im getting too used to this medicine (6 years)
I also would rather go on a cheaper med, one that has generic or OTC...Im tired of the high cost from the prevacid for the last 6 years ( which is going otc soon, figures!!!) I love prevacid but I still had a bad attack about once a month , Id like complete relief....Anyone has relief for longer periods of time?
Questions....
1) could prevacid be less effective since I started it two times a day. WOuld going back to once a day make a difference?
2) ANyone take Prilosec with success ?
3)Anyone have long term COMPLETE relief?[/B]
Thanks alot for any replies

Old 08-05-2009, 03:51 AM   #2
(female)

Patthedog HB User
Re: considering changing ppi...not working as well

I used to take Prevacid and felt like it wasn't working anymore, then switched to Nexium, that seemed to help a lot. I've been under a lot of mental stress and I think it's kicked the acid into high gear, so now I'm suppose to take 80mg of Nexium a day.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-05-2009, 01:51 PM   #3
(male)

Beeb HB User
Re: considering changing ppi...not working as well

If it were me I would stop taking the prevacid and start taking prilosec OTC and see if that works. You may find switching to prilosec OTC improves your symptoms or you may find it works the same. Regardless, you get to save money.

From what i read, and speaking to my GI, they all have similar effectiveness. Although the PPIs are all very similar, some people may find that one works better than the others.

Nexium was developed because Prilosec's patent ran out. Nexium is the same formula as prilosec with an isomer removed allowing it to be patented again. Then they doubled the dose and claimed it was more effective, but that is not necessarily the case. Prevacid is going through that same process with their new drug.

One may get the feeling that the OTC choices are less effective then something you can only get from a prescription, but that is not the case. If Astra Zenica still had the patent on prilosec, you can bet they would still be advertising with the purple pill commercials.

Last edited by Beeb; 08-05-2009 at 01:56 PM.

Closed Thread