It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-29-2009, 04:48 PM   #1
(male)

pppetru HB User
Why does food get stuck in my stomach?

May 2008 I changed my diet drastically. I started working out regularly and at clean carbs, less fat, lots of protein and cut most of the junk out. Over the next 4 months I lost over 35 pounds. For the next 4 months I kept up a pretty conistant diet and was perfectly healthy. However, in January 2009 I went to europe and after a long flight I arrived at a friends place late at night and he had a meal prepared for us. It was very fatty meat loaf, salad with lots of cheese and dressing and chicken noodle soup. We all scarfed it down and went to bed. The next day we got up and had breakfast. I had my usual oatmeal. Then we went site seeing. About 2 hours later I started feeling sick. It was only getting worse. I got back in the afternoon and was feeling very ill. I was burping nasty burps. I was not getting better so i induced vommiting. I threw up a lot. The food from the previous supper just got stuck in my stomach. i know it wasnt food poisoning because 4 other people ate the same food and were fine. I dont often get sick and eat a wide variety of foods with no food allergies. I was sick for two days after throwing up a few more times. I then recovered and was fine.

Sorry the backstory was so long but I'm trying to give as many details as I can. A couple days ago i went on a mini vacation with my girlfriend. I veared away from my usual diet a little but still ate as good as the circumstances allowed. I had all the same food she did. Oatmeal, fruit, milk, lettuce and carrots from a farmers market, tuna, mayo, home made brown bread, swiss cheese, local gouda cheese, salsa, crackers, hard boiled eggs, tomatoes, halibut, lentils, cottage cheese and yougurt. Most of those things are things that I eat often. After two days of the vacation I went home and that evening I had really smelly gas but I felt fine. The next morning I didnt feel very sick but not myself. I had oatmeal, fruit, water and soy milk for breakfast. I started burping and the best way to explain it is well....it was simular to my gas. As the day went on I felt sicker. The feeling was reminisant to when I got sick in europe. Early in the day I got really bad diahrrea. It was only liquid. Through the day I only ate crackers, water and gingerale. Once I got home I was feeling really bad and induced vommiting. Again there was alot in my stomach as if it got suck in my stomach and could not pass through. In my vommit all i could make out was the lettuce and the colour was slightly red. I think that was from the strawberries I ate for breakfast. Once I threw up I felt better. The next day I still had the water diahrrea, but the brups werent as bad. All i ate that day was toasted toast, crackers, tea and water. And the third day I felt a whole lot better and got my apetite back and ate white rice, crackers, apple sauce and a banana.

Wow sorry that its that long but I am worried what is happening to me, and would like to do everything that I can to prevent this from happening again. Any advice to what is happening to me would be very very greatly appreciated.

Thank you so much,

Patrick

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-30-2009, 10:08 AM   #2
(female)

apriljudy HB User
Re: Why does food get stuck in my stomach?

Seems that fatty foods don't agree with you, as indicated by what you ate on your European trip. Also you don't tolerate dairy very well either, common to both meals that bothered you, you've described. Both fatty foods (also fried foods) and dairy are usually eliminated from a diet for someone with reflux, GERD.

I wonder how you would feel if you followed a simple diet for reflux? It has been helping me. If you'd like to try the diet that I'm on, read my post 'Reflux and Diet.'

Judy

Closed Thread