It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-29-2009, 07:28 PM   #1
(female)

Zoe26 HB User
Question about Certain Tests...

For my supposed acid reflux (my only symptoms are nausea, overall not feeling "well" like I would need to throw up, but never do, sometimes just a lump in my throat or difficulty swallowing, but mostly it's just nausea), I've only done a few tests so far. I did the endoscopy which was fairly normal, and a gastric emptying study (normal). I've also had several sonograms, blood tests, etc, which all come out normal. I'm not really ready to do the Bravo pH test, but other than that, my doctors have mentioned these tests none of which I've done...

Fluoroscopy/Upper GI/Esophagram
HIDA scan
or Barium Swallow

Are any of these the same thing? What does each test? Which would you recommend I start with? Are any dangerous or bothersome at all?

My doc also mentioned a Cat scan of my stomach, but I don't really want to do radiation. Do you think this would be a necessary test to do?

Any info highly appreciated! Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-29-2009, 09:32 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User
Re: Question about Certain Tests...

An upper GI series is typically the same as the Barium testing. I've seen an upper Endoscopy refered as an upper GI occassionally though.

For the Barium testing, the type of x-ray is a Fluoroscopy. The Esophagram and Barium Swallow are both Barium tests. From what I understand, they are just looking at diffferent things.

I had a Modified Barium Swallow which began the x-ray with my chewing and swallowing process, then the Esophagram which looked at how the food was going down/ coming back up. The Barium Swallow was done sitting up. The Esophagram was done in both sitting and prone positions.

Haven't had a Bravo, but I did have a 24 hr pH test and Manometry. The pH test measured the amount and duration of my refluxing. The Manometry measured the pressure within my esophagus.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-29-2009, 10:58 PM   #3
(female)

Zoe26 HB User

So, in your opinion, which test would you lean towards taking first? Never did the HIDA scan?

Old 06-30-2009, 09:46 PM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User

I never had a HIDA scan. It is more for gallbladder related issues.

I think it really depends on your symptoms.

I knew I had reflux. My Endoscopy was normal. Some show irritation or other problems with the EGD.

pH testing told me how severe my reflux was.

The Manometry told me that my LES was really malfunctioning.

The Modified Barium Swallow/ Esophagram told my Pulmonologist that it was reflux that was causing my asthma to be out of control.

I probably could have been fine with the pH and Manometry, but it didn't show the link between my reflux and asthma for certain.

Old 07-04-2009, 11:07 PM   #5
(female)

Em55 HB User

I had the barium swallow series done in febuary of this year. I had to fast and then drink quite a large container of a barium milkshake. I had to take a class full of it and then they laid me back on a table and used a machine to watch it go down my throat. Then i went to the dressing room and had to finish the rest on the container and every ten minutes or so they would check to see if it was in the intestines yet. Then one final Xray and i was done. IT took me about an hour and a half. I will be honest and say it wasnt fun at all. The barium is thick and not too pleasant.

I also did the ct scan for it. I once again drank barium. Once the night before, then the morning when i woke up, and again right before i went into the ct machine. Not too bad but once again barium isnt fun

I have a question... How long did your throat hurt after you had your endoscopy? I had one tuesday and my throat is still bothering me.

Good luck!

Closed Thread