It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-30-2009, 09:20 AM   #1
(female)

tessta91 HB User
Exclamation HELP! How long does the effects of TUMS and such last for? :(

LET THIS BE A LESSON TO THOSE WHO UNNECCESARILY TAKE ANTACIDS FOR REASONS OTHER THEN ACID REFLUX.

Okay, I admit, I don't suffer from heartburn. I have been using TUMS lately to make my stomach PH alkaline as I heard of someone. But I'm pretty sure my stomach was pretty alkaline as it is.
I know what I did was stupid, stupid, stupid and I have LEARNT and am PAYING for it now..

After doing a bit of google-ing, I hear TUMS and other antacids can interfere with thyroid hormones and such and I believe my thyroid absorbing hormones are low atm, and I'm showing slight symptoms to be anemic.
I've put on weight rapidly in the past week or two.
I stopped taking TUMS about 5 days ago, no change to how I feel/symptoms I show.

MY QUESTION IS: How long till the antacids effects wear out? And my stomach returns to its usual PH?

Even moreso, ARE THESE EFFECTS REVERSABLE/PERMANENT?

I WASNT munching them down by the boxful, I only ever took about 2/3 a day (not even every day) for about 2/3 weeks

Im quite embarrased, so please don't tell me how silly I am for taking TUMS when I didn't need to, I've really learnt my lesson

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-30-2009, 12:34 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

gcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB User
Re: HELP! How long does the effects of TUMS and such last for? :(

Quote:
MY QUESTION IS: How long till the antacids effects wear out? And my stomach returns to its usual PH?

Even moreso, ARE THESE EFFECTS REVERSABLE/PERMANENT?

I WASNT munching them down by the boxful, I only ever took about 2/3 a day (not even every day) for about 2/3 weeks
It's extremely unlikely that they symptoms you mention have anything to do with taking TUMS. TUMS are relatively short-acting, and only work for a few hours at the most If you were only taking a few TUMS daily there is no chance that they interfered with your Thyroid hormones either - it is safe to take much higher doses than that .

Based on the symptoms you describe you should see a doctor - it's extremely unlikely that TUMS have anything to do with what you're feeling.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread